Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC

• 16-09-2003 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

I know theres plenty of threads open on this already, but i find they get a bit messy when theres more than one system listed. I plan to order the following hardware tomorrow or the next day from Komplett and Creative(depending on when money goes through to credit card and komplett sorting out their stock levels on the website:D ). Anyway any advice on if im going wrong somewhere would be appreciated.

From Komplett:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD mainboard Socket A
    nForce2SPP/MCP-T/Ultra 400,1394,Dual LAN EUR 125.05 inc. VAT
    here

AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 GHz 333 MHz bus
    Socket A (Barton) processor, 512kb BOXED EUR 108.88 inc. VAT
    here

Chieftec Dragon MidiTower, w/Door, Black
    Case w/360W power, DX-01B-D, P4/AMD (UK) EUR 105.77 inc. VAT
    here

EKL case fan 80x80x25mm
    (12000000006) with 5.25" power plug EUR 10.26 inc. VAT
    here

TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5
    Memory184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz) EUR 102.64 inc. VAT (x2)
    here

LG CD-burner IDE 52x/24x/52x black
    "Super-Link" w/NERO SW, Intern Bulk EUR 49.04 inc. VAT
    here

LG DVD-player IDE 16x/48x black, Bulk
    (GDR-8161RBB) EUR 39.70 inc. VAT
    here

Maxtor S-ATA/150 120GB 7200RPM 8MB
    DiamondMax Plus 9, 8 MB cache EUR 121.48 inc. VAT
    here

Creative 3DBlas. GeForce FX 5600 ULTRA
    AGP, 128MB DDR,TV-Out, DVI, Retail EUR 229.39 inc. VAT
    here

Microsoft Windows XP Professional +
    Software English OEM EUR 176.39 inc. VAT

Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 PCI
    Firewire,THX, DD EX6.1, Retail EUR 129.74 inc. VAT
    here

Hansol 15" LCD H550 TCO-99 "Silver"
    Screen with speakers (UK) EUR 330.27 inc. VAT
    here

From Creative Online Store

Creative® Inspire™ T7700 Speakers €143.00 inc VAT
    here

Creative® Desktop Wireless €59.00 inc VAT
    here

Total = approx €1916 inc delivery

Anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Are you sure you want to order the case from komplett - the shipping charge will be HUGE...

Have a look at elara and see what they've got - the antec sonata is a tasty case at €136.65 Incl. VAT, but it looks like you're going for something a bit bigger than that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Are you sure you want to order the case from komplett - the shipping charge will be HUGE...

Have a look at elara and see what they've got - the antec sonata is a tasty case at €136.65 Incl. VAT, but it looks like you're going for something a bit bigger than that...

humm the last time i ordered a case from komplett the shipping wasn't that much, it's based on weight not size iirc. if you order a crt monitor from komplett then ya notice the difference. Built a pc today for a friend from komplett and only noticed about 10 euro of a difference when i added the case, maybe i was wrong didn't really pay attention to the shipping cost when doing it.

your machine seems cool. personally i'd go for the ati equivalent of that card/price. everything else is good, well except for the pricy windows :p but sure what are ya gonna do :p
    gl

note: remember when installing that hard drive set it to boot from scsi and make sure you have the drivers handy for when installing windows :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by maxheadroom

No I checked delivery price for everything on komplett before the site went haywire, it was €83 delivery for everything. Items from Creative store have no delivery charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

talla

That's a very fine rig ur gonna build. I would change not one thing within the box for ur budget

Mind - u sure u wanna go for 15" lcd - seems paltry to me compared to rest of system :confused:

IMHO if ur budget is restricted to the total amount, surely u could pick up an excellent 2nd hand 21" CRT or equally good new 19"CRT for that. If u have to go LCD, get at the very least a 17" :)

Anyone disagree? Please share. I've worked with LCD's a good bit, know they will take over at some stage, but can't justify buying one myself yet at all if I compare with top of range CRT's

Yeh I know what your saying Unkel about the 15 inch. Unfortunately the reason i chose a flatscreen/LCD in the first place over CRT is purely a space issue. I'll be trying to flog my laptop once I get the rig built so yeh I probably will go for the 17inch LCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I'd swap the FX5600 for a Rad 9600 or better if you want to play games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

The 5600 is a very good card for gaming but i'd agree with Sir Random if you're gonna be playing HL2 a 9800 or so would be more suitable.. I also noticed some new programs are optimized for ATI RADEON cards (DivX player being 1)

I checked out tomshardware.com and the Radeon 9600 outperforms the standard FX5600 but what i'll be ordering, the FX5600 Ultra outperforms the 9600(9600 isnt listed in every test but those that it is listed in, FX600 ultra outperforms the Radeon 9600 series).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

pretty much identical to my pc at home, but I ordered the case from Elara, cheaper on the shipping side of things since the case is the biggest component

Advertisement