Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you charge for sites

Options
  • 16-09-2003 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

i made this recently for a guy in my class
    http://www.gsm-eire.com/
    i just charged him 100 euros . Need to know for future work.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's not valid HTML and is search engine unfriendly.
    You've put a great big sign on it saying that only IE users with high-res need bother entering.
    Entering there's nothing much to see. Why did you even use Flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

100 euros is fine for that quality of work, which is not professional grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

No-one will be using that size resolution - change it first and foremost - otherwise its OK and could've worked without Flash.

Edit: Don't have a link to Prices and bring up a form - make it Quotes or something.

The Repair page is blank - no explaination given.

I would'nt put his age on there - people might not trust someone thats 19 - even though thats bias you have to be aware that its out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

I use that resolution! Although it is a pretty rare res to require for a site - try making the font smaller. The age is irrelevant, it's the Irish language, not Gaelic. And, eh, "fluent in English?" - what's that got to do with the price of tomatoes? It's not exactly a remarkable achievement for someone in Ireland!

Lol, love the "been on the GSM scene" bit. Outting all those coset-case mobiles eh?

And finally, many users either don't use, or haven't installed flash, often for a good reason. Using flash objects for basic page content is a sackable offence. Well, it should be. The attachment shows how rubbish the whole site becomes without flash. It takes a minute to download+install flash, but it only takes a few seconds to Google around for a alternative site.

Nice background though.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

You've put a great big sign on it saying that only IE users with high-res need bother entering.

yes i did, that site is just an eye candy to direct people to that guys business, he wanted it in flash .

I would'nt put his age on there - people might not trust someone thats 19 - even though thats bias you have to be aware that its out there.

true, but thats the way he wants it
    And finally, many users either don't use, or haven't installed flash

thats a bit stupid, not having flash, i think almost everyone has flash.

you guys are great critics. Id like to see some of your work .

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Placebo
    thats a bit stupid, not having flash, i think almost everyone has flash.
    Ookaaaay...
    That's a bit stupid, assuming things. One of the primary things a web developer-to-be has to grasp is that you can't assume anything of the audience. Developers should design sites which are accessible to most people by using coding standards.

But hey, do what ya want. Fair play to ya for getting €100 for it.

It is what it's.

well everyone i know has flash !?
    how much would you have paid for it ? it was actually trasperent on red but he wanted it blue

Placebo - Don't assume anything.

ANY site with references to which browser and screen resolution should be used are bad imho. I'm not saying that you cannot target one browser/OS, but putting up a sign like that is basically excluding all other users.

Not everybody has Flash. Maybe you cannot appreciate that point, but you really should as the URL you posted is a prime example of a site that does NOT need Flash - at least in its current version.

If the guy was willing to pay 100 euro for that be happy.
    You could have used this opportunity to get valuable advice from people who work in the industry, but you seem to resent our criticism.

You've also got enough posts under your belt to know that any site that gets posted here will be 'ripped apart'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Just to add to what was already said about coding to standards - not everyone uses internet explorer.

I just tried it in Opera and all I see is some strange blue bits all over the place, and half a line drawing of a phone. No links, no text, not a damn thing. Arty maybe, but not very useful.

I wonder what it's like with Konqueror??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

For your audience - IE - Yes, they'll all have Flash because it comes bundled - even then the latets Flash player may not be on their machine.

The resolution is way too high - I don't understand your explaination on this - its just an intro to the site - ????

You asked for feedback and in my experience when you do this people point out the problems - this is'nt a place to loook for slaps on the back - jolly good show etc.

Originally posted by buddy
    You asked for feedback and in my experience when you do this people point out the problems - this is'nt a place to loook for slaps on the back - jolly good show etc.

Exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

just remove the bit saying you should use Internet Explorer, it works fine on Firebird here at 1024*768.

You can achieve the very same effect with out using flash and so making it more accessible to more people which is always good.

The people on this bored with niggle you about everything including their personal feelings about how they feel about it. Its all good feedback even if it may be negative it will help ya improve the site.

Ultimately if your customer is happy with the site then that should be enough, unless his/her customers are not ;)

On a personal note I like the background, and think it could be improved on again. I hate E-MAIL Links, much prefere a contact page with the address written out and then maybe linked, maybe an e-mail form, and then your regular phone adresses details. Most people use web mail and don't like launching their e-mail program as they don't actually use it. So have the price section under a contact heading. Service under prices then maybe a link to contact or quote exact price.

As for charging, try get as much as you can with out them feeling ripped off. If they are happy with the price and the job they'll come back for more or get other jobs for you.

Best of luck.

hmmmmmm, it was much faster for me to work on flash.
    anyway the server got hacked, i dont have backup and he doesnt either, its gone.

anyway if you guys have a website, id like to see it.
    this is my personal one http://www.bionic.tk

If you read my first post.
    The topic/post clearly points out that i wanted to know about the price to charge, which is where the level of work comes in, now if you think its **** and i should have charged less then thats fine, but i never asked Wether i should have done it in flash or not or at what resolution and i certainly did not ask for your advice.
    But be that as it may, il take into consideration what you guys have said.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I tried to go to the site but it was down... How many hours did it take you, for very samll sites you should probably work on an hourly rate. I can't give an example as I didn;t see your work, but I used to charge about £20 an hour - my work was not absolute professional quality, but I just made simple clean site which whenever I sent it for a critique on usenet, I'd usually get few replies, some compliments with some very minor points for improvement. I guess I'm happy with that... If I could give you a tip it would be to keep everything neat and tidy, and don't try to do anything too adventurous unless your confident you can make it work correctly.

thanks alot for the advice, i dont usually work for people, just a hobby, this was probably the 2nd person who paid me, so charging them per hour would be asking alot, although i would like to work as a webdesigner, wouldnt know where to get customers though.

Advertisement