Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speed limited to 10k/s?

Options
  • 16-09-2003 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I haven't been able to find any other occurances of this problem despite extensive googling but I though I might throw my problem up here in case anyone can think something I haven't..

I'm running XP, with 512k broadband (max 50k/s) connected through a dsl modem/router. My machine is running XP, and there are two other machines connected to the DSL line (the modem is a wireless hub too - but I'm connected to a LAN port on it through my network card).

The other machines (both XP too) can achieve a pretty consistent 50k/s download through Internet explorer. However, if i right-click "save as", i can only download a file at around 10k/s, if not less. I have GetRight which can download a file with multiple threads.. each of these threads seem to be limited to around 10k/s too. But with a few threads going together, I can get up to 40-45k/s!! Through FTP I can get around 45k/s at once, which is fine. Kazaa has never gotten a single source faster than ~25k/s, but that doesn't matter because you can never really tell with Kazaa.

What's going on?!?! :confused:

I'd say a complete re-install is in order, since the machine's pretty cluttered anyway and could do with it. But in the short term, I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a solution, or even shed a little light on the problem!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i was reading that kazaa is on its way out due too laws maybe kazaa is letting peeps know its time to stop using it by slowing dl speeds maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Well as far as kazaa lite goes there is an option(in the latest build) to regulate the download speed I don't think its your problem though considering the other ones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Are you on netsource? If so do you download a lot?

If the answers to both are yes, then it is likely you have been throttled by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I am on Netsource, and I dowload a reasonable amount alright, but if I was throttled then none of the machines should be able to reach 50k/s. My problem is that they can, and it's only my machine that can't get all the bandwidth in one go, but has to divide it into 10k/s segments for some reason.
    Like I said, I can still get close to 50k/s so it's definitely not a throttling issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

this is the cause there coming to get you

riaa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ah ok my apologies I hadnt read all of your post correctly :)

All I can really think of is reinstalling your networking device drivers with more upto date ones for your hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

someone hold me
    Who are the big guys with the guns mac?
    Republican Internet Army Association?

Advertisement