Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK] No DACS on lines

Options
  • 17-09-2003 12:52am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across the following in the FAQ section of adslguide.org.uk here
    My line has a DACS. Can I still obtain ADSL service?

If your line has a DACS (a device BT use to share a pair of copper wires between two phone lines), it must be removed from the line prior to ADSL activation.

The procedure to do this is to apply for your ADSL line as usual. When BTwholesale perform the various line tests, they should spot the DACS and arrange for the removal of the device. This may delay your order by a few days, but once removed it shouldn't stop you from obtaining ADSL so long as your line passes the necessary tests (see question above).

Sigh, so it seems DACS aren't a problem in the UK, they just remove them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

The teleco are not oblidged to do so, but the big thing here is Eircom will say "there is no more spare copper, so we can't give you an un-split line, no dsl for you"

If you go via esat/utv/ns I think eircom are oblidged to remove it, not sure on the story there.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by flamegrill
    If you go via esat/utv/ns I think eircom are oblidged to remove it, not sure on the story there.

I asked ComReg about this when I was at war with eircom over my splitter (a war which I eventually won :D ).

Tey said if the line is required by "another carrier" then eircom are obliged to remove it......... although I've got a horrible feeling that this just means LLU carriers, so this rule applies ONLY to Esat Business DSL. The myth that says if you use another carrier like UTV or EsatBT for CPS telephony services, then eircom have to remove the splitter, is also completely untrue.

I managed to get eircom to remove the DAC by emailing Nolan directly, who then directed me to one of his cronies, who I argued with for about 3 months via email. I think the only reason they caved in was because one half of the DAC was unused (i.e. there was a full copper pair going in to the device, and 2 28k "phone lines" coming out of it, but only one of these lines was active). I now have the full 44k :D (44k isnt great I know, but meh).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Eircom will say "there is no more spare copper, so we can't give you an un-split line, no dsl for you"

If you live in an area where there is building work going on (e.g. new estates) that will be connected to your exchange, then a good counter-arguement for this is "If there is no more copper in the area, then how are you supplying telephone services to the new estates? Are you just going to put pairgains/DACs on everyone elses phone line to make up for your lack of forward-thinking?".

I used that on them after they tried to tell me they could not unsplit my line because theres no copper....which is a bad arguement anyway because they knew that only one half of the line would ever be used again. The next communication i received from eircom after saying that to them was an engineer calling to the door to, as HE stated, "remove that grey box on your wall" :D

Advertisement