Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New McPhail

• 17-09-2003 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

As a Forest fan I've seen a good bit of Steve McPhail now this season.

All I can say is that the move to Forest has done wonders for him and I think he should try stay on there til the end of the season and if Forest are promoted sign a permanent contract.

He's formed an excellent partnership with Andy Reid (a man who should soon be knocking on Mr. Kerrs door) and his passing, creativity and most surprisingly his tracking back and tackling, have pretty much been as good as any in the division.

His inclusion in the last Ireland Squad may not have been fully justified at the time, but surely he deserved more than the 5 minutes he got at the end.

Maybe he can fill the creative midfielder role that Ireland so desperately need after all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

and thompson is having a good season, out-shining Dawson in my opinion :D

oh please sign McPhail Harty !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dunno, Thompson has a dodgy few games at the start, but he has settled in well. Manytipped him as one to watch at the start of the season. Wow, forest me singlehandedly solve Irelands problems.

A Centre Half - Thompson
    A Creative Midfielder - McPhail
    A Partner for Keane - Reid (playing just a little deep)

If only Keith Foy had made it.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by sykeirl
    He's formed an excellent partnership with Andy Reid (a man who should soon be knocking on Mr. Kerrs door)

I think Reid should get a call up before McPhail, andy is bagging them in at the moment. I think either he or Graham Barrett should be given a chance in the squad at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its funny how some players look decent when they move down a division. Mc phail couldn.t get his place at Leeds last year when they were playing badly, that should be indication enough of his abilities or lack of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

the sports reporter for the Nottingham Evening Post thinks that Thompson is the player of the season so far (even ahead of Marvellous marlon!)

doesnt foy play elsewhere now? I am sure I saw his name as a scorer ealier in the season.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Its funny how some players look decent when they move down a division. Mc phail couldn.t get his place at Leeds last year when they were playing badly, that should be indication enough of his abilities or lack of them.

Possibly, but McPhails problem is that he needs to be playing in a team with a very specific style, that is, flowing passing football.

On top of this, until recently, he was accused of not contributing to defence, watching Forest, he seems to have added this to his game.

That said, you still need a good solid defensive midfielder to partner him if he's in the centre, or a solid fullback if he's on the left. Leeds had neither really and they didn't play the football style he thrives on (except under O'Leary, but he was injured for a year of that). Hence he was overlooked.

That said, you still need a good solid defensive midfielder to partner him if he's in the centre, or a solid fullback if he's on the left. Leeds had neither really and they didn't play the football style he thrives on (except under O'Leary, but he was injured for a year of that). Hence he was overlooked.

I always liked Mc phail and when he came on the scen first he looked very promising . Maybe the injury was a factor in hime not fulfilling his potential at leeds and a spell in the lower division is just what he needs to get him to fulfill his potential. I dont want toi be disrespectful to the lowere leagues but there is a huge gulf between them and the prem and so would be hard to guage how well he would perform is he was back up. I hope he continues to improve and gets back into the ireland team because we could do with some decent midfielders

BTW you Know We,re supposed to be Ignoring each other.;)

Well, I was busy arguing a higher order of muppets on humanities board, so I sorta forgot about you. I always pretty much ignored your opinions anyway ;)

Well, I'm not gonna dispute the fact that 9/10 1st Div sides would be used as dipping bread in the Prem..just look at Wolves.

But if he gets first team action and experience then its all good.

Besides, a few players manage to perform consistantly at whatever level they play at...Connolly, Kilbane & Healy for instance*.

*Disclaimer: I never said whether they were consistantly good or bad, just there is no dicernable difference in their overall game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Possibly, but McPhails problem is that he needs to be playing in a team with a very specific style, that is, flowing passing football.
    So does this mean that even if he is very impressive for Forest we should still be wary about including him in the Irish team?

It's great to hear that he is doing well, he's had a rough few years and if he helps Forest get promoted all the better. Unless Leeds manage to re-morgage themselves they may decide that they need him back though.

I think he should have been given a chance to see what he can offer, especially againts Turkey.

Maybe after we qualify :)

• Advertisement

Well, I was busy arguing a higher order of muppets on humanities board,

I,m hurt by that . I didn,t think us muppest had a class structure. I will have to play humanities a visit to see whats happening.

Absolutely, if we're not sure if he's going to fit into the team then friendly matchs are the time to include him.

I,m hurt by that . I didn,t think us muppest had a class structure. I will have to play humanities a visit to see whats happening.
    If you are to compete with the muppets sykeirl is refering too then you will need to back the exodus of several players from Man Utd including Rio Ferdinand, Silvestre and Djemba Djemba

Thanks pete I am aware of the stormfront issue and sykeirls contribution. I would not want to be classed in the same mould as the aussie twit that started that .

Edit< sorry for the error it must be all this talk of hurricanes in the us confusing the poor Muppet>

Thanks pete I am aware of the stormforce issueand sykeirls contribution. I would not want to be classed in the same mould as the aussie twit that started that .

I don't remember contributing to a BBC weather program!!

Anyway, you're nothing like those guys, so don't worry.

Trolling them is actually enjoyable ;)

Advertisement