Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region Free ?

Options
  • 17-09-2003 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to make my SONY DAVS S300 DVD player region free . . . I've heard that you can download software from the interned to do this but can't find anything ? ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

if u hack the player u will only be able to watch the discs in b&w unless your televisiojn is ntsc compatible (set the player to rgb output and then set tele to ntsc).
    the dvdhhacks do work, I set mine up over the course of a couple of hours last week.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had thought that most Sony DVD players had to have a hardware modification to make them region free. If I'm wrong, please let me know.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The majority do byte, but for their high volume products its just cheaper to make it multi-region... see the mentioned site for a list of their models.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well it seems that there is no hack for the DVD player in question. Looks like hardware modding is the only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by byte
    I had thought that most Sony DVD players had to have a hardware modification to make them region free. If I'm wrong, please let me know.;)
    I thought this too, so I did a lot of research into the Sony DVD player I was going to buy, to make sure I (not some third-party scruffyman with 'chips') could make it region-free. I found one site which claimed it could be done using the standard Sony remote. In my haste, I didn't check this out and bought the Sony anyway. Naturally, this didn't work.

I did a bit of research, and found out that for a lot of Sonys, you can use a PalmPilot with the OmniRemote application to reset your DVD player. This was fine, except I didn't have a (working) PalmPilot lying around. After a bit more research, I found a site (here) which shows you how to do it using a laptop with an IrDA port.

This worked fine for me.

The dude who runs the site even says that he doesn't have a definitive list of all the Sonys his method will work on, so you should maybe try it out before you go for the hardware mod.

Advertisement