Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with 1893 dialup for at least UTV

Options
  • 17-09-2003 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been unable to get a connection with UVTipXL
    since approximately 11pm last night.
    While their support line was helpful and offered me their old dialup number
    (1890-927171, local rate, no other changes required to dialup config),
    they were unable to say when service might be resumed.

I'm interested in finding out is this countrywide today?
    We had a local problem with the same symptoms last week,
    but I also have a confirmed problem today in Galway (I'm in Meath).

The problem would seem to be at Eircom's end, and affects users of 1893 numbers with CPS.

Could anyone confirm whether this problem affects other ISP users
    who use CPS to route through a different provider?
    Anyone with Esat or others succesfully using UTV or any other 1893 number?
    Anyone affected using 1893 ('flat'rate) numbers without CPS (only an eircom bill).
    Any users of Eircom's new 150 hour package affected ? :-)

NiallB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

there were reports of IOL problems in Navan a while (late august) ago. It may a local problem all right.

IOL works fine in Galway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm in Waterford and I'm curently on Ingido er indigo cos UTVip (not XL) has been dead for me since they dropped me at about 11 pm lat night, I could'nt reconnect then and this morning, dispite 30-40 goes, nothing... Me very pissed off.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kustomer

same here..been unable to connect on utv ever since last night,its happened a couple of times before but usually comes back after a while, i'm on eircon to post this right now, just came on to check if anyone else was having the same problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yes, I am in Donegal, and my UTV continuosly engaged tone started about 11.00pm last night.

In frustration, I clicked on the UTV Logo on my monitor. Then when it had opened I was presented with a number of options including a Dial*option. I clicked on that and it dialled the usual number which was engaged!. It then started to ring a different number, I could hear a different type of dialling noise. Then it connected me to the web. I have had to use this method again today up to now, but at least it works.

I think it is their dialler ringing a substitute connection number automatically when it hears the engaged signal on the normal number. As far as I know this is what the U.TV Internet dialler* is supposed to do, and in my case its working.

Hope that helps.

P.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

but I also have a confirmed problem today in Galway.

Ditto...although when using one of their alternative numbers, i get in first time..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

No problems with UTVip XL 1893 number last night out here in Kildare/Offaly. I was on it from around 10.00pm through 'till 2.00am. Are Eircom able to mess with people's access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Connected now to UTVXL thru' ISDN. It will not connect thru' standard modem. Weird :rolleyes:

I'm in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

I can't use the dialer, but I'm glad to hear it coped with the problem.
    Could someone post the numbers the dialer cycles through?
    I'm connecting with an 1890 number and it's been local call cost all morning. It would be good to be using what they expect to have as a fallback number.
    Two days on 1890 is the price of the full month (this is my second day without service this month). Between this and losing the PeakSaver option I had on UTVip, XL isn't saving as much as I had hoped.

Giving a list of the numbers would allow non windows people to set up in the same way as dialer users with fallback.

Apologies UTV if you have a page with those numbers on it,
    but I haven't seen it.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Had the same problem here in Ballina(Mayo) rang support at 9 they said they had a lot of calls, where supposed to ring after a hour but did'nt. got connected to xl through no:<number removed>, sended mail to utv support to make 100% sure this was a no. connected to subscribed xl account, I did not receive a confirmation yet.

<edit: removed number>

Thanks a million, that worked fine.
    At least it might not be charged at 3.8¢ a minute - gotta be improvement!

NiallB

• Advertisement

Back on the 1893242242 no. again, got connected first time as allways before this morning! Through the other no. outlook did not work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Originally posted by piet
    Back on the 1893242242 no. again, got connected first time

Ditto for the above. Apparantly, the alt. # costs utv extra so lets be nice and only use it when we need it:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Just tried connecting at home at lunch (modem) got on first time. Mabye it's sorted. UTV Newsgroups have no feedback from support yet.

As unofficially confirmed the other number is ok, but only use it in trouble times, and keep trying usual 1893 no.

Official now:
    That number that was given out on boards was never to be released and is used by the dialler as the engaged roll-over number. Using this number costs us, and so it's only to be used by our software when needed. Frequent use of this number while our normal 1893 is operational will get you account black-flagged and repeated use may have access to that rollover removed.

Back to normal here as well.
    That second number is a good option, I'm sure
    UTV have to pay for the calls themselves.
    Still, worth it to make customers happy!

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

yeah had the same problem on the 1893 Anytime number - engaged all last night and this morning, havent checkeed it since about 12:00 -decided to go into college

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Seems to be working ok now

I have been on UTV about two weeks ago on the subject of not being able to get connected first time and having to redial a nr of times, I think there is some problenm with their dial-up software, a guy up there told me today that they are getting quite a few compaints about this, so keep firng them (the complaints) in and they might do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I was having a similar problem in getting an engaged tone on the normal number and because of my setup I can't use the dialler.

According to the support people at UTV the extra numbers are only activated when the main number becomes over extended, and the extra numbers are again deactivated when space frees up on the main number.

If this is the case then it should not be possible to abuse the system - which would make sense. However if this is true why are they so reluctant to give out the rollover numbers ?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

yeah have had even more problems than usual.I am afraid to use the other number as i fear i will be charged for it.....
    gonk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm having serious problems at the moment accessing UTV. I'm using a 'free' service at the moment to post this. If I use the dialler it's not successful with the 1893 number and goes on to use the alternative number and that's fine, but the dialler is messing with my machine and while it's active I can't access any programs on my machine, not even the like of My Computer Properties or the Task Manager but as soon as I disconnect and the dialer shuts down, all the programs I was try to lauch all pop up. There's something seriouslt dodgy going on with that dialer. Anyone else having similar problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by LFCFan
    I'm using a 'free' service at the moment to post this. If I use the dialler it's not successful with the 1893 number and goes on to use the alternative number and that's fine
    You can't connect to the 1893 number unless you have UTVip XL.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by DMT
    You can't connect to the 1893 number unless you have UTVip XL.

I was using a free service because I couldn't connect to the 1893 UTVXL number. I use the dialler which connects me to the alternative 1891 number if the 1893 number is busy but I can't use the dialler now because it messes with my machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

Same problem here, although most times the dialer connects to the second number no problem.

The problem is i'm using remote access / Nat on win2k3 server & it does it's own dialling & won't use the dialer :(

Also, the dialer seems to stop it's self & the taskbar icon disapperars & have to load it again. Same thing happens on Xp machine :(

Utv should really do something about this problem, as many ppl seem affected by engaged tones & forcing u to use the dialer is more like an m$ idea !!

Advertisement