Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drinkfeckgirls.com Website - Tracking Alcohol Prices

Options
  • 17-09-2003 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

HI All
    I have started website to track prices of alcohol In pubs, clubs and offies around the country.
    Please submit your local prices - hopefully i will be able to build some statistics with enough input.
    Apart from anything it will highlight the astronomica l price of a Pint!

www.drinkfeckgirls.com

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I've no prices to offer but the layout of the site looks excellent, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Thanks! - Hopefully people will dive into their pockets sunday mornings and pull out a fist full of receipts!!

Originally posted by egan007
    Thanks! - Hopefully people will dive into their pockets sunday mornings and pull out a fist full of receipts!!
    Excellent point - usually have loads of receipts. Some pubs don't give them though, or they become less frequent later in the night (do pubs still have hikes in prices at 11, I just don't notice).

Some do - i was dragged to Cafe 'Insane' a week ago - they put up by a euro in some cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

wow, that's a bit of a sharp increase.

I'll definitely keep track of the prices and send them in. It's a great idea. Keep up the work

• Advertisement

Paid 4.25 for a pint of miller last night....on a wednesday night in Blanchardstown!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Really like the look of the site. Have you thought about adding a (rough) time to the price of a drink - seeing how, many pubs hike the prices after 12

Thanks
    That's a good idea - it's something i'll introduce in the future - right now i just need to establish the site and get content.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nice Site, well done.

Just a comment on your content though, perhaps doing two things would make it a tad more 'professional'.

1. Get permission to reuse the articles on alcohol if you haven't already.
    2. List the authors and original source. (I assume that you are not American)

I was in over 10 establishments selling alcohol over the weekend yet strangely had no receipts in my pocket. Mostly due to being on a pub crawl / scavenger hunt which required us to get a receipt from each pub => had to hand them in. Also due to being in Laois for second half of the weekend, not sure they have receipts.

From memory:
    Flowing Tide, Abbey St Dublin, pt Guinness = €3.60 (19/8/03)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

fantastic idea for a site.

layout is tres coolio as well
    i tend to have a load of recipts in a drawer at home...will dig them out

Cheers everyone for the input all will be taken -

The site is great but I have a few logistics queries (hopefully constructive:D)

Is there any database software being used with the site? SQL server or something, I don't know too much about what would be a good (and cheap) option.

Your probably able to cope with the volume at the moment but if you have info coming in from sources all over the country on a regular basis it would become a pain for you fairly quickly. If it's not an option at the moment hopefully when the site grows you may get sponsors interested who would cover costs.

Another consideration is, what happens in a situation where 2 conflicting prices are entered for the same pub on the same day. Eventually you will get people with vendettas that will want to submit an inacurately expensive price for their disfavoured pubs.

You could possibly try to take some details from the people submitting the prices, ie. name and email address but with the reasurance that this info won't be displayed anywhere or given out to anyone. At least you would be able to go back and query the relevant people in the case of a conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Really sweet site, I've passed it around in work so hopefully a few ppl will be updating it.

One thing you might consider doing aswell as the suggestions by p.pete is break it into subcategories because as the site gets alot bigger it will become hard to navigate.

For example you could have:

Cider
    1. bulmers
    2. scrumpy jack
    3. cashels

Beer
    1. heineken
    2. coors
    3. budweiser

so on and so forth....

.logic.

Hi P.pete & logic1
    To answer some of your questions -

At the moment there is no Db in the background
    The reason for this is as you say, I wanted to guage interest first. Hopefully some caring ISP will sponsor me and then i can use a db. :) (At the moment i am testing a Db version )

After a db is being used to manage the site it would be easier to start taking e-mail addresses & Names.

I understand that it needs development and perhaps broader categories. Again as volume increases it will be easier to decide what these categories should be.

Thanks for the interest!
    Keep submitting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TightCornerBack

One small thing.

The links for Wexford and Waterford both point to the Wexford page.

Fixed now - cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hey,

it's a great idea for a site, and a great name.

I think that it's a bit impractical for the moment now.

It's a shame we don't have a nice zip code system like in some countries.

Anyway, breakdown by country isn't that useful.

If possible you should break it down by locale. e.g. Dublin City Centre, should be seperate from Dublin, Swords. Just as Wexford Town should be Seperate from Enniscorthy or Gorey.

For me, living in dublin, seeing that the cheapest prices are in mayo, isn't that much use to me. It's nice to know, but i'd like to knwo cheapest prices in when I am regularly.

Also, you should include the north as well, while you're at it.

In the future you could ad things liek differentiating between a pint & a bottle, or things like week specials. e.g. Handels is only 3.50 monday to friday, but more expensive on weekends.

A really useful thing to get peopel going ot teh site again & again would be where you could sign up for a newsletter, select the areas your interested in getting prices for and getting them mailing out to you every month.

Great idea though, has a lot of potential. good luck!

Hi
    Thanks for the input
    The site is going through a complete redesign
    It's only a week old and already has generated alot of interest.
    Now that the interest is there i am in the process of automating, and finding new ways to represent the data.

At the risk of repeating myself and making the hint blatenly obvious - if there is any ISP to sponsor a db and a wee bit of space :) they are welcome to contact me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

cheappub.htm and dearpub.htm pages have all the links underlined, the rest of the pages do not. I noticed that every page ends in the .htm, do you update this by hand?

• Advertisement

Hi
    Yeah it is updated manually - an automated service is currently being designed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think this should be made a sticky as I have been adding prices to it as the weeks go by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I noticed that a pint of Fosters in Coyote is just €2.50 on this website. Was this a special offer? I haven't seen a pint that cheep unless its a special offer.

Im currently checking it out - promotions won't be included

Should be on around 10 to 11

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Quick correction to the Dublin section;

Morrison Hotel Ormond Quay Budvar €5.70 14th Oct

Budvar is the name for a beer made in Èeské Budìjovice in the Czech Republic. They are still fighting AB (brewer's of US Budweiser) for the rights to use the name Budweis (the German name for Budìjovice) in Europe.

Please don't confuse these products. Budvar is a fine beer of beers, fine hoppy aroma, crisp and dry with good bite, very balanced and goes down extremely well.
    I wouldn't wash my car with AB's Budweiser.

For the historians amoung you; Anheuser-Busch first brewed Budweiser in St Louis in 1876 while the Budweiser Budvar brewery was launched in 1895. But for centuries previously, beers from the town of Budweis were known as Budweiser beers.

The American giant, and Budweiser Budvar have been at loggerheads for more than a century. The Czech beer is sold in the United States under the name Czechvar, and in fact Britain is the only country where, following a court ruling, both beers are allowed to be sold as Budweiser.

In some countries, such as Italy and Spain, where the Czechs registered their trade mark first, Anheuser-Busch has been forced to sell its beer as Bud. Anheuser-Busch lost a court case in London when it took criminal action against the importers of Budweiser Budvar, which claimed on the back label of the beer that it was the "original Budweiser".

In Ireland, Guinness blocked the sale of Budvar for a number of years, so they could sell more 'Budweiser' muck.

I have added the above to the new 'Your Comments' section of the site
    if you want to have a rip at some bar drop me a mail!!

Typedef
    Any chance of making this a sticky the website is used alot and i would like to use this as a forum for the site

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

yeah, I agree. This thread should be stickied!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Crackin' website Egan007. I'll bet you'll get into a few places and be offered cheap booze when word get's around more.
    I'll be in the palace bar on Saturday night so I'll be sure to check out the price of Guinness ten separate times just to be sure!

Advertisement