Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Down an offer...pleasantly

• 17-09-2003 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I finally got a job offer, but it turned out not to be the one I was hoping for. As in, the company offered me a lower down position than I was interviewed for.
    As it happens, I'm in no rush for a job financially, so I think I can afford to wait for the right one to turn up.
    I foolishly accepted the job when they called me back, and now I want to turn it down.
    The company in question is not run by very pleasant people, but I still want to sound professional when I decline the offer. I have no idea what to say, and for some reason (they were scary people and the interview was terrifying) I'm a bag of nerves.
    Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

just tell them you have been offered a better position at a different non-disclosed company which is better in line with your potential.

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

have you signed the contracts and stuff, or have you just said that youd take it and they are sending you stuff out?

i guess you are probably on 'probation' if its a worse case scenario, so i wouldnt really worry about it.

by the way, you could just say that you realised that the hjob offered was not the one you applied for. i mean, why would you take a job you didnt want?

you could probably use that as an excuse to turn down the offer. either that, or get someone here to imposter you and give them a new job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

Tell em to stuff it in polite terms and state the position they offered is not what you want period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

ask them where'd the job you applied for go to?
    Then tell them if they are going to say one thing and to another that you arent interested in working for them.
    Its a common ploy these days. Did they offer you less money than the other job would have been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Eden

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    by the way, you could just say that you realised that the hjob offered was not the one you applied for. i mean, why would you take a job you didnt want?
    Because I'm an idiot! :D
    I haven't signed any contracts, though, which is handy. Oh, and they did offer me less money. I'm definately not going to take it, but I cannot be rude when turning it down, who knows, I may be interviewing with them again... Although God, they were horrible!
    I was out of the workforce for some time and I had no idea that, as DaithiSurfer said, saying one thing and meaning another is a common ploy. What's the world coming to, eh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement