Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Virus!

Options
  • 17-09-2003 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed recently that my Internet Explorer has been really slow and I was getting error messages so I decided to do an online virus scan. I found a virus called worm sircam.a and I clicked on it to find info and here is the info:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SIRCAM.A
    It is supposed to delete all files and folders on my computer but luckily i haven't noticed anything gone.
    I don't know if this worm is only recently on my computer as i never do a scan but if it sorts out the problems with my computer then that will be great.

I am currently downloading the file to delete the worm and I will report back to tell you if my internet problems are resolved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Is this your first?? Awwww...
    I remember my first.... :P

There'll be plenty more were that came from ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

lucky you caught it in time.
    my first virus did delete all the files on my computer:(

that was back when viruses didn't mess about, none of this namby pamby ****

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

www.grisoft.com

there's a free version of their excellent virus scanner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Boberto
    Is this your first?? Awwww...
    I remember my first.... :P
    Mine was Tequila I think. Still have it on the floppy somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by SyxPak
    www.grisoft.com

there's a free version of their excellent virus scanner there.
    I have used this and another type of virus scanner and they cannot delete the file. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by eireboy
    I have used this and another type of virus scanner and they cannot delete the file. Any ideas?
    What OS are you using? If it's XP/ME you'll have to disable system restore before cleaning most (if not all) viruses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

aww thats lovely, your first virus.
    Now remember in order to collect more you need to use Windows (any version) IE and Outlook and you'll improve your chances of collecting more and having these wounderfull things affect your life.

On a side note, after I got my first virus I started backing up all deadly virus's I found to floppy for some god awfull reason (got 15 now) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    What OS are you using? If it's XP/ME you'll have to disable system restore before cleaning most (if not all) viruses.
    I'm on ME so I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!;)

BTW you all seem to get a lot of virus's. I have a computer (not the same one) since '96 and I am using the internet at least 2 hours a day since '99 and this is my first virus. I never knew they were so common.

Advertisement