Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well theres an end in sight

Options
  • 17-09-2003 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Eircom rang me today, the technicians will be out tomorrow to get the line fixed, so at some stage tomorrow I hope to have an answer on whether this line problem will actually fix the problem and i can finally connect to broadband

Keep your fingers crossed that i can otherwise these last 6 months will have been for nothing

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Best of luck shin. If it works it'll prove that persistence can indeed pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

hope it works out so you finally get that bloody .4 update for b1942 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

.4 loveliness, dont put ideas in me head

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

g'man Shin, we are all rooting for ya in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by shinzon
    Eircom rang me today, the technicians will be out tomorrow to get the line fixed, so at some stage tomorrow I hope to have an answer on whether this line problem will actually fix the problem and i can finally connect to broadband

shin, was there a problem with the line besides it failing the dsl test? if not, how did you get eircom to come out and fix it?

glenn

Originally posted by Glenn
    shin, was there a problem with the line besides it failing the dsl test? if not, how did you get eircom to come out and fix it?

glenn

:confused: Did you not read any of Shinzons posts Glenn.

He made a lot of noise because he had to!

M

Originally posted by Glenn

glenn

According to eircom in the beginning there was nothing wrong with the line it was just the state of the copper that was stopping me getting broadband, so numerous e-mails letters phone calls over a period of six months have gotten me to the stage that they now say there is something wrong on the line, slight insulation to earth on one leg of the line, which means that my line is earthing somewhere and not geting a clear enough signal through

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 griffzino

Best of luck Shinzon,

I'm only beginning to discover what a great company Eircom is, fair play to the local guys, but those guys in the I-Stream dept are unbelievable. Do they know what DSL even is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

How'd it go??? :):)

don't keep us all waiting ya fscker :D

Paul

Well after waiting since 9 o clock this morning, Eircom decided to turn up at 3pm, the engineer found a problem with the line outside the house and fixed it, them came inside and checked capacity, the signal still wasnt going through, he did let slip that next door was ok just the signal wasnt coming through to the house and he said thats not good.

So my jaw went to the floor, he said if the signal isnt coming through then theres something blocking it (whoop de doo tell me summit i dont know, so he said wed go further afield and ****ed off in the van, but not before i collared him and asked what was going on.

He basically said that the signal strength was not great, something like 21/31, it hshould be up aroound the 50/40 level for a dsl pass, he said that theres a very high standard eircom are looking for DSL lines and unfortunately copper thats in the ground for 40 years just doesnt cut it.

So i said look does this mean that my line cant carry DSL, he said that its looking like that, but well have to go further afield to find out for sure thats when he ****ed off in the VAN, so i thought to myself is that it, twiddle a wire for 5 mins and proclaim forget it.

So I managed to make a phone call to my contact in eircom to basically tear strips off him for the technicians wire twiddling 5 minute wire look, then the phones went dead, much head scratching ensued, all phones were dead in the house, so i decided to take a walk and lo and behold there was the technician up at the street cabinet trying to sort out a jumble of wires, stayed with him and asked any luck, he said not so far, but we will try and get it sorted out for ye.

The phones were off for 2 hours, they just came back on so thats the delay in getting back to all of you had no internet access till now, so whether thats good news or bad new i dont know, they didnt come back to tell me anything, so im in as much in the dark as ever about it

So ill probably be getting a call either tomorrow or monday to tell me the bad or good news, but from what the technician kept saying its unlikely to have made a differnce so no DSL for shin id wager

Regards
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Shin, when (if) he comes back in the morning ask him if he'd like a cup a tea. Be nice to him. It has paid dividends for me. They ran a new cable from the road underground. They couldn't do enough to help. Seriously be nice (I'm not saying that you aren't) and who knows what will happen.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'll agree with Valentia there, offering a cup of tea might help, god knows most people get cranky/obstinate when a customer goes and kicks up a fuss .. with either them or the managment ..

My line had a similar problem to yours, they replaced a good bit of it ...dont know the levels though ... after they got the line in and my phone back it was a further excruiating 3 weeks before IOL BroadBand of all people sent me an email asking me to sign up (I had put my email into a expression of interest form or something in the past) ... this came out of the blue, I thought that the line work had been for nought because I was conositently failing the test for two weeks after .... so straight away I went to the online checker and checked and I was passing ... I rang up netsource soon after and was connected in five days

i dont really know whats happening to be honest. im sure in due course something will happen, i hope for the better

fingers crossed eh :)

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by Muck
    :confused: Did you not read any of Shinzons posts Glenn.

He made a lot of noise because he had to!

M

aye, I did read them, it's just I didn't know that eircom had started 'fixing' lines solely because they failed the broadband test.

I had a brand new line installed by them about a month ago which currently fails the online broadband test (I'll keep checking it periodically), whereas in my previous house - which has copper which is probably as old as shin's - it passed.

Start Here

phil.nolan@eircom.ie

dmcredmond@eircom.ie (Dave Mc Redmond)

info@comreg.ie

all your local TD's are Here

Thats what Shin did months ago

(What happened to TV3 Shin :))

M

Eircom came back today as some of you said they would yesterday, the low insulation problem has been fixed, so i said to the engineer how long will it take for them to retest for broadband.

He said that its out of there hands now, there mandate was to fix the line problem and it may still fail the DSL test, its up to the DSL guys now whether they pass it or not

So the saga continues for a little while anyhow.

TO MUCK: now that you mention it Dannger did say awhile ago they were putiing the TV3 interview on the back burber for something special around this time didnt he, so i dunno whats going on with that

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What is the signal strength now, Shinzon?

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    What is the signal strength now, Shinzon?

Oh crap forgot to ask that **** **** **** **** ****

Shin

• Advertisement

Your modem will tell you the story if it is a Lucent model.

The engineer was referring to the info you get when you type ATI11 in Hyperterminal after a connect . See lines 9 and 10 the Receive and Transmit DB levels which is what he was on about.

I think Eircom will pass above 40/40 or thereabouts and if the numbers are lower then No they wont. Do correct me someone who knows better.

see http://www.modemsite.com/56k/ltwin10.asp for your own DSL line testing suite

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Originally posted by shinzon
    its up to the DSL guys now whether they pass it or not

Paddy Power has just opened a book on the results.
    Fail: 6/4
    Pass: 2/1

I have a tenner on the pass :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would order an install now. Stick with Eircom and go for an engineer install. You can switch later.

Tell them that there was a fault but it has been sucessfully fixed by an engineer but that it won't yet show up on the database which is periodically updated.

Insist that the fault was fixed and you were assured that it would now pass.

Originally posted by Muck
    Your modem will tell you the story if it is a Lucent model.

The engineer was referring to the info you get when you type ATI11 in Hyperterminal after a connect . See lines 9 and 10 the Receive and Transmit DB levels which is what he was on about.

I think Eircom will pass above 40/40 or thereabouts and if the numbers are lower then No they wont. Do correct me someone who knows better.

see http://www.modemsite.com/56k/ltwin10.asp for your own DSL line testing suite

M

Any way to tell the decibel level from a rockwell chipset modem, my modems based on that chipset im afarid

Shin

Try this Program here to interrogate the modem . The ATI11 result form the Lucent is pretty close to the DSL line test database.

Dunno what the Rockwell (Conexant nowadays) does for ya.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

That's amazing.... is it really that simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Any way of checking my isdn connection?

When i press the ati11 button on that proggie i dled i get this

ATI11

ERROR

back in minute i want to post something else whether its relevant or not i dunno

Shin

this is what i get when i use the at&v1 command dunno if thats what im looking for

AT&V1

TERMINATION REASON.......... NONE

LAST TX rate................ N/A
    HIGHEST TX rate............. 30
    0 BPS
    LAST RX rate................ N/A
    HIGHEST RX rate............. 300 BPS
    PROTOCOL.................... N/A
    COMPRESSION................. N/A
    Line QUALITY................ 255
    Rx LEVEL.................... 214
    Highest Rx State............ 00
    Highest TX State............ 00
    EQM Sum..................... FFFF
    RBS Pattern................. FF
    Rate Drop................... FF
    Digital Loss................ FFFF
    Local Rtrn Count............ 00
    Remote Rtrn Count........... 00
    V90 FFFFFFFFFFFF

Any ideas as my modem doesnt like any at commands with 11 in it, just comes back error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 griffzino

As Regards that modme test, I searched google and came up with the following;

The Receive Signal Power Level is an important value. If this value is less than 9 or higher than 25 you may have poor line signal strength. Line nosie should ideally be between 100-140 aswell.

http://www.modemhelp.net/linenoise/lucent/lucent.shtml

More about Receive Signal Power Level

1 to 9 = Amplified, may contain distortion.
    10 to 24 = Normal
    25 to 64 = Getting poorer

More about Noise Level
    For 56K connection, this value should be between 60 ~ 140. Anything not within this range will have connection problem or slow connection.

http://www.istal.com/support/linequality.htm

More again.
    Look at the results. The estimated noise level should be between 100 - 140. The receive signal power level should be between 9 - 25. Any variations might indicate a phone line problem in which case you should contact your telephone company to schedule
    repairs

http://www.webzila.com/articles/ltlt.html

Just a little on the SNR rating that program gives you, apparently:

SNR (dBm) 46.3 < is good

http://www.csuchico.edu/stcp/ia/modemoptimize.shtml

Just for interest sake this is what I got from the program Muck linked to

ATI11

Call Statistics:

Negotiated Modulation : V.90
    Initial Data Rate : 50666 / 26400
    Final Data rate : 49333 / 26400
    Carrier Freq : N/A / 1829 Hz
    Symbol Rate : 8000 / 3200
    Retrains requested : 000
    Retrains granted : 002
    Signal Level : -18 dBm / -13 dBm
    Round Trip Delay : 0017 ms
    SNR : 48 dB

OK

From a quick glance I think the recieve/transmit level should not be in the range 40/50, so it must ne a different reading that Eircom use. I'm far from being an expert, but I just spent the afternoon researching line quality as Eircom are still failing my line (damn prequal) E-mail from Eircom suggested that rain could have affected their results and my last line check was on Sept. 2nd, so next one is scheduled for Oct 02 (dunno if this is countrywide.

This could be garbage, but I'll post it anyway for anyone.
    I'm determined to see why my line is failing now despite passing before.

• Advertisement

makes me want to get a lucient winmodem just to get those results lol

Anyhoo just got an e-mail back from the eircom customer care department, now that the lines been fixed there ready to retest the line again and see if it passes

Results willl be available soon they say

So heres hoping

Shin

Advertisement