Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well theres an end in sight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Shinzon, I hope it works for you, if it doesn't theres no hope for me. You are in Viewmount, I am further out again at Earlscourt (although my new house will supposedly be ready any day now, yeah right) which puts me up near Gracedieu which should be very close to both Tycor and the City Exchange.

What ISP's offer a package round these parts anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    Shinzon, I hope it works for you, if it doesn't theres no hope for me. You are in Viewmount, I am further out again at Earlscourt (although my new house will supposedly be ready any day now, yeah right) which puts me up near Gracedieu which should be very close to both Tycor and the City Exchange.

What ISP's offer a package round these parts anyway ?

If your talking broadband all of em quigs, if your talking wireless goto www.irishwan.org and satellite www.silvermead.net

I hope it works out for me to 6 months is just to long to be waiting for BB

Shin

well got an e-mail from eircom confirming the lines been fixed, so theyll be running the gamut of DSL tests over the weekend and the results will be available monday

god the waitings killing me

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I was told to disconnect the phones and all other equipment when my line was being tested ... you might want to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

OK i did some checking for my crummy Creative PCI Modem Blaster & it looks like the equivalent command is AT#UG
    AT#UG
    <VERSION=10>
    <CALL SETUP RESULT=Detected Data Answer Tone>
    <MULTIMEDIA MODE=Data Only>
    <DTE-DCE MODE=Async data>
    <V.8 CM octet string="">
    <V.8 JM octet string="">
    <RX SIG POWER DB=18, TX SIG POWER DB=18, S/N RATIO DB=200>
    <NORMALIZED MEAN SQUARED ERROR=46>
    <NEAR ECHO LOSS=241>
    <FAR ECHO LOSS=56>
    <FAR ECHO DELAY=14>
    <ROUND TRIP DELAY=14>
    <V.34 INFO bit map =0>
    <TX MOD=Unknown, TX SYMBOL RATE=3200, TX CARRIER FREQ=65535>
    <RX MOD=Unknown, RX SYMBOL RATE=8000, RX CARRIER FREQ=65535>
    <TX FIRST DATA RATE=28800, RX FIRST DATA RATE=45333>
    <CARRIER LOSS=0, RATE RENEG=0>
    <RETRAINS REQ=0, RETRAINS DET=0>
    <TX FINAL RATE=28800, RX FINAL RATE=45333>
    <PROTOCOL NEGOTIATION=LAPM>
    <EC FRAME SIZE=0>
    <EC LINK TIMEOUTS=0>
    <EC LINK NAKS=0>
    <COMPRESSION NEGOTIATION=V44>
    <COMPRESSION DICTIONARY SIZE=0>
    <TX FLOW CONTROL=2>
    <RX FLOW CONTROL=2>
    <TX CHARS SENT FROM DTE=AF66>
    <RX CHARS SENT TO DTE=9BDC1>
    <TX CHARS LOST=0>
    <RX CHARS LOST=0>
    <TX FRAME COUNT=0>
    <RX FRAME COUNT=0>
    <TX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0>
    <RX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0>
    <TERMINATION CAUSE=DTR drop>
    <CALL WAITING EVENT COUNT=0>
    <LSD Vdd=0, Power Bits=0>
    <V8BIS FLEX VERSION=0, V8BIS DSP VERSION=0>
    <RATE RENEG REQ=0, RATE RENEG DET=0>
    <HIGH PASS FILTER ENABLED=0>
    <ROBBED BIT PATTERN=0>
    <DIGITAL PAD DETECTED=0, DIGITAL LOSS ESTIMATE=0>
    <Cnt1=0, Det1=0, Res1=0>
    <EQM=0, TRAINING EQM SUM=0>

OK

edited post. i'm even more confused now.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by shinzon
    6 months is just to long to be waiting for BB [/B]

Some of us have been waiting for DSL since the "secret" telecom eireann trials in malahide half a decade ago....

Does anyone else have ATi11 / AT#UG results for comparison?

I'd be particularly interested to see results from other people with 2 eircom lines (ie 1 line split in 2)...

What the **** do i have to do to get ****ing broadband in this country

Eircom just rang me theres still low ****ing insulation on the line, upto the eircom socket is fine but after that its not.

can anyone tell me how to disconnect completely a telephone socket from the wiring in the wall, that what they want me to do next, course no support on internal wiring from eircom have to do it myself

this is just getting ****ing ridiculous

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Simple

Find somene who installed a phone socket before, a junior electrician or anyone. Tell them to install a new socket (a Mod Tap) on the wall beside the Eircom socket, hook Eircom into it, and not hook the internal wiring to it ...for the moment.

Plug in simple phone with no display.

Pass your DSL test, order DSL. Once the DSL works in that socket within 10 days or so and the filters work too then deal with the internal wiring which could be sh1te as well . All sockets must be in series is the golden rule BTW.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Muck
    All sockets must be in series is the golden rule BTW.
    I'm just going to highlight that bit.

Many houses (most old houses in my limited experience) run a star system (parallel really I suppose) from the main socket for extra sockets, which may well cause problems with the test if the wiring is bad.

• Advertisement

Correct Sceptre.

Older means pre 1990 in my experience.

M

will someone else PLEASE try that modem line test?

i could really do with something to compare my results with.... please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by pete

I would if i had a modem installed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Originally posted by pete

Here's mine, bearing in mind that I pass the line tests:

<V.8 CM octet string="">
    <V.8 JM octet string="">
    <RX SIG POWER DB=11, TX SIG POWER DB=15, S/N RATIO DB=33>
    <V.34 INFO bit map =1076049456>
    <TX MOD=Unknown, TX SYMBOL RATE=3200, TX CARRIER FREQ=65535>
    <RX MOD=Unknown, RX SYMBOL RATE=8000, RX CARRIER FREQ=65535>
    <TX FIRST DATA RATE=28800, RX FIRST DATA RATE=49333>
    <CARRIER LOSS=0, RATE RENEG=0>
    <RETRAINS REQ=0, RETRAINS DET=0>
    <TX FINAL RATE=28800, RX FINAL RATE=49333>
    <PROTOCOL NEGOTIATION=LAPM>
    <EC FRAME SIZE=0>
    <EC LINK TIMEOUTS=0>
    <EC LINK NAKS=0>
    <COMPRESSION NEGOTIATION=V42BIS>
    <COMPRESSION DICTIONARY SIZE=0>
    <TX FLOW CONTROL=2>
    <RX FLOW CONTROL=2>
    <TX CHARS SENT FROM DTE=0>
    <RX CHARS SENT TO DTE=1F6>
    <TX CHARS LOST=0>
    <RX CHARS LOST=0>
    <TX FRAME COUNT=0>
    <RX FRAME COUNT=0>
    <TX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0>
    <RX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0>
    <TERMINATION CAUSE=n400 exceeded>
    <LSD Vdd=0, Power Bits=0>
    <V8BIS FLEX VERSION=0, V8BIS DSP VERSION=0>
    <RATE RENEG REQ=0, RATE RENEG DET=0>
    <HIGH PASS FILTER ENABLED=0>
    <ROBBED BIT PATTERN=0>
    <DIGITAL PAD DETECTED=0, DIGITAL LOSS ESTIMATE=0>
    <Cnt1=0, Det1=0, Res1=0>
    <EQM=0, TRAINING EQM SUM=0>
    <RETRAIN/HDLC RESET =0>
    <RETRAIN RESTARTED =0>

OK

Well ive lost, disconnected all cables from the telephone sockets, waited 2 hours Eircom came back, still failing, she fobbed me off with information that is not normally given out to people (usual I went that extra mile just for you bull****), the decibel level is above 56 on the line, so theres to much noise on the line, and according to them I will never be able to get ADSL on the line.

Why are so many people winning there battles with eircom and i cant, im so ****ing gutted about this, there is literally nothing i can do anymore.

I just cannot believe this, ive done everything eircom has asked me to do, theyve been out fixed the line, and now its come to this, im nearly in tears here, why am i paying 27 euro a month line rental, when the line is so ****e, whats the ****ing point.

There a bunch of pointless money grabbing ****.

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Whatever you do, do not give up. You have gotten this far.

But i dont know what else to do urban, theyve been out to fix the line, theyve asked me to disconnect the wiring fron the phone sockets and have just the 1 phone plugged into the Eircom socket which ive done, and all its doing is failing

If there is some advice someone can give me as regards where to go next ill gladly do it

Muck do you think if i put the tap on the line as you suggested earlier would that work

Ive sent a very angry e-mail off to Eircom, one of the technicians that was out suggested maybe replacing some of the cable, but when the line got a clear signal in to the house after he put in a new eircom socket that was dropped.

At the moment its just seems its a lost cause but any and all advice is grateful cause i dont know where to turn next

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

But i dont know what else to do urban, theyve been out to fix the line, theyve asked me to disconnect the wiring fron the phone sockets and have just the 1 phone plugged into the Eircom socket which ive done, and all its doing is failing

Shin

I just wonder t exactly is the setup after the main eircom socjket- do youy have a lot of extra internal wiring..?

theres 4 sockets in all in the house

1) is the one the engineer put in

2) 3 others were here when i moved in so i dunno what state there in

But as said before, I disconnected the physical wiring fom all 3 sockets this morning and had only 1 phone plugged in to the eircom socket

Shin

But as said before, I disconnected the physical wiring fom all 3 sockets this morning and had only 1 phone plugged in to the eircom socket

Shin
    Ok-you disconnected wiring from all 3 sockets-where does the other end of the wiring terminate?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dawg
    Here's mine, bearing in mind that I pass the line tests:

<V.8 CM octet string="">
    <V.8 JM octet string="">
    <RX SIG POWER DB=11, TX SIG POWER DB=15, S/N RATIO DB=33>

Thanks dude

I@m guess these DB figures are missing a '-', so that your -11 / -15 trumps my -18 / -18 and you pass...... anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ok-you disconnected wiring from all 3 sockets-where does the other end of the wiring terminate?

I think what JD is saying shin is did you disconnect the 3 wires for the other sockets from your Eircom box or did you disconnect them from their own end. ie were the three lengths of cable still connected on the eircom box end but disconnected from each individual box in the various rooms. If so then it might be worth a retest and this time disconnect the cables at the eircom box end.

I disconnected them from there own sockets, thats what the eircom woman told me to do anyways

Shin

:confused: Did I tell you to disconnect everything and to put a new socket (a low profile mod tap one will do ) in place of the existing one.

Therefore the eircom wires will come into that socket only from outside the house

You will threfore remove all internal wiring from the equation

You will additionally remove the existing socket from the equation.

The mod tap can be double back taped to the wall where the first socket is.

You have not eliminated one inch of your internal wiring and are no further along since I last advised you

M

I know you advised me to do that muck, but all of what ive been talking about was already pre-arranged with eircom, i couldnt fob them off at the last minute, so how do i get one of these taps on the line, does an electrician have to do it, can i buy it and just get him to install it or whats the story

Shin

And would it eliminate the line noise that eircom says is the problem now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If you decide to go fiddling around with the main junction box, remember that theres a fair amount (iirc ~80) of voltage going through it.

I know you advised me to do that muck, but all of what ive been talking about was already pre-arranged with eircom, i couldnt fob them off at the last minute, so how do i get one of these taps on the line, does an electrician have to do it, can i buy it and just get him to install it or whats the story

Shin

And would it eliminate the line noise that eircom says is the problem now
    It's worth a try-no-one on the boards can tell you what the condition of the internal wiring is like.. maybe the (eircom) mice were nibbling at it..:)

buy a normal phone socket with a backbox then

Ive decided to call it a day as regards DSL, ive tried my best to get it to work, ive done everything Eircoms asked me to do and everything that has been tried has failed

Im not going to start banging my head against walls anymore, ive just got to accept that no amount of fiddling with wires or anything else is going to get the job done.

Mebbe when the MAN comes into being ill try again, but for now im tired of it all and need a break.

I was going to start a thank you thread when i got DSL, but for the foreseeable future thats not gonna happen, so im gonna put my thank yous in here, if i miss anyone out soz, been 6 months ye know :)

So in no particular order

1) Sceptre

2) Dustaz

thx guys even when i was at my lowest ebb and shouting at everyone you didnt ban me and the advise was invaluable

3) Muck

One of the greats m8

4) Dahamsta

Good advice as always

5) Urban weigl

all i can say is thx

And to all the rest JD moriarty Bizmark and everyone else thats helped me youve all been the best and ive learned so much over the last six months that it really has been an education and again

THANK YOU ALL

I have some good contacts in Eircom and if anyone needs them ill give em out freely, just because my own campaign is over doesnt mean ill give up the fight for other people, cause eircom is not getting off the leash that easily

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Seems a bit strange giving up at this point, given that it appears to be a matter of internal wiring.

If Eircom claim to have sorted out the external bit, it should be easy to sort out the internal stuff.

Shinzon,

If you are having trouble sorting out the internal wiring arrange for an engineer install. This should be no problem as Eircom themselves claim to have sorted out all problems with the line.

Advertisement