Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well theres an end in sight

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Shin,

From what the engineer told me when he was trying to fix my line (ended up getting a second one installed for DSL as first one wouldnt pass), theres usually two sets of copper going into the house. Have you tried getting them to test the other pair to see if it is fine? If it passed you could either install a second line on it or see if they would switch you current number over to the second pair of copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

But how do i arrange for an engineer to install it when the first thing theyll ask for is my account number and telephone line, and when it comes up as a fail they wont come out.

Thats the sticking point

Shin

according to eircom theres to much noise on the line and the modem wont synch up to the exchange if they install it, hence the giving up part

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just shows you how they really don't want to sell the product. I just cannot understand this database malarky. Why do people have to disconnect equipment and lines for over a month so that the monthly auto test can pass them.

Would it not be so much easier for you to be able to ring up for a test, they press a button....."You failed Sir"......"Hold on I'll disconnect the Dect Phone"......they press a button....."Sorry you still failed Sir"......Hold on, I'll disconnect those 3 old extension boxes all over the house that I no longer need anymore cause I have my cordless phone.......they press the button again....."I can't understand it Sir, You've passed"......."I can m8, now put me down as a pass in your little database and get off the line so I can ring UTV or IOL to order DSL."

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by shinzon
    But how do i arrange for an engineer to install it when the first thing theyll ask for is my account number and telephone line, and when it comes up as a fail they wont come out.

Thats the sticking point

Shin

according to eircom theres to much noise on the line and the modem wont synch up to the exchange if they install it, hence the giving up part
    I understand that, but also according to Eircom, they have fixed the external part (the bit they are responsible for).

This is the hard part done. You have persuaded Eircom to fix the external line.

Now, according to Eircom, the line is still failing because of internal installations. I would call their bluff on this and demand an Engineer install despite the line failing.

Explain that when an engineer does an install, a splitter is installed before any user installed equipment. All internal phones are disconnected, the splitter is then fitted. At this point, if what Eircom are saying is true, the engineer should be able to test the DSL connection with his laptop.

You still need to get passed the automatic rejection on the basis of line noise and this will require persuasion. However, you have already succeeded in getting them to examine the insulation on the external line and (at least according to Eircom) fix problems with it.

So your argument to Eircom will be that all problems relating to you getting DSL are now due to problems at your own premises. That the line is basically OK because Eircom fixed it so therefore an Engineer should be able to fit a splitter and it should work.

If you manage to get an engineer out and it still fails, or if Eircom refuse despite your arguments to send one out, then give up.

Do you have the contact number of the guy who worked on the line?

Ive been thinking about this line noise business a whole lot and it doesnt make sense to me in my mind anyways as to why internal wiring would increase the noise on the line.

Im no electrician so i dunno,

But surely line noise is generated externally, from the line coming into the house, rather than any wiring that was put into the house after eircom installed the line.

If thats not the case then can someone explain it to me as im a bit confused as to where line noise starts and stops to be honest

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

But surely line noise is generated externally, from the line coming into the house, rather than any wiring that was put into the house after eircom installed the line.

Could you explain your reasoning on this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 griffzino

Shinzon,

It is the capacitance readings that matter, and line noise is unrelated to this. Call Eircom's bluff on this one.

Read this to verify:

"Following the forum meeting of 20th May, eircom agreed to provide this data in an interim format followed by a final format. For the first six months and in the interests of timeliness, eircom proposed to supply a cd each month giving the capacitance to A and B legs for each working PSTN and ISDN line in the eircom network where the information was available electronically. Following that eircom proposed a move to a more robust solution using a remote access database."

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0380.pdf

Do a google search on capacitance & dsl, line noise as far as I found out is not an issue.

Don't give up man,

Eircom will have to give in at some stage.

Best of luck
    Griff

Originally posted by jd
    Could you explain your reasoning on this..?

Just made more sense to me that way as regards internal wiring being the issue.

but even disconnecting the internal wiring yesterday gave me an education let me tell you, one of the extensions in the house had six wires attached just to get a dialtone on the phone, all the others only had 2, thought that was strange

But anyhoo ill give it another crack on monday and see whats what

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Good. Now, there is still a good chance that Eircom, despite what they have said, have not, in fact, fixed the external line. They may have only said this to get you off their backs. This is probably the most likely scenario.

If this is the case, then you could spend years chopping and changing plugs and phones inside the house and would never succeed.

The point of the engineer install is that you put the ball firmly in Eircom's court. You can't then be blamed for internal wiring and such. The downside is that you have to pay for the privilage, but only if they succeed in getting you DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Ive decided to call it a day as regards DSL, ive tried my best to get it to work, ive done everything Eircoms asked me to do and everything that has been tried has failed.………………………..Shin

Feick’s sake Shinzon your such a drama queen. Stick with it, your nearly there.

Looks like the plan should be………… Do what Muck said here "disconnect everything and put in a new socket" and then leave EVERYTHNG disconnected except 1 plain old non-display phone, and that includes that tacky sounding wiring job you have. Also, bear in mind what Valentia said here about being seriously nice to the engineer. In fact, if I was you I’d make contact with that guy again. Its not unknown for some of those engineers to take a job under their wing and make SUPER HUMAN efforts if they are shown a bit of appreciation. The engineer who installed my DSL cleared up a seriously disgusting wiring mess that the electrician had left behind. He is your best chance if its anything other than internal wiring. He is the one who can do all the pair swopping etc. that will be needed.

Anyway I think you are nearer to resolution that you realise. The key could be getting a good working relationship going with the engineer.

Good luck mate.

really stupid question, whats the proper name for this mod tap thingy, have rang around a few electricians and they say they dont know what im talking about

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

really stupid question,

yeah, if you had actually read the thread.

Originally posted by Muck
    Find somene who installed a phone socket before, a junior electrician or anyone. Tell them to install a new socket (a Mod Tap) on the wall beside the Eircom socket, hook Eircom into it, and not hook the internal wiring to it ...for the moment.

this what you mean, just another phone socket with the eircom wiring into it and nothing else

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

yeah, if you had actually read the thread.
    Muck - would it hurt to just answer the question, given Shin's saga so far?!

buy a normal phone socket with a backbox then

Klar!

buy a normal phone socket with a backbox then

So if i go into the eircom store on monday and ask for a normal telephone socket with a backbox, theyll know what im talking about.

Im not trying to sound stupid here, but i dont want to have blank stares in every shop i go into looking for this

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

So if i go into the eircom store on monday and ask for a normal telephone socket with a backbox, theyll know what im talking about.
    Yup. Anyone who's ever seen "a normal telephone socket with a backbox" will know what you're talking about. They'll have seen at least one.

Thx sceptre will get onto that on monday

Shin

get an electrician to fit it.

• Advertisement

ok i just want to make sure i got the right thing, cost me 3 euro so it better be lol so when the electrician comes just tell him to mount it and put only the eircom wire into it and leave internal wiring disconnected until test is done

shin

spot on .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Do I need glasses Shin or is macro mode switched off?

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

ok i just want to make sure i got the right thing, cost me 3 euro so it better be lol so when the electrician comes just tell him to mount it and put only the eircom wire into it and leave internal wiring disconnected until test is done

shin

Fingers Crossed.

Originally posted by Valentia
    Do I need glasses Shin or is macro mode switched off?

:D:D:D:D

Crap is that why all me piccies have been turning out ****e, was woondering why that was, shin potters off to find where me macro modem button is.

I should always remember to read the manual SIGH

Shin

as well as that ive also gotten the team leaders phone number in waterford, so im going to have a chat with him tomorrow and see what he says about what the broadband people said about my noise level. need to be diplomatic cause he might actually do something to get it sorted

I have dealt with one of the 2 team leaders in Waterford ( Mr. 'A 'ISTR) . Lovely fella , don't lose it with him Shin coz that would be counterproductive. Once he heard u got a pro to fit the new socket he will know that you have been proactive on their behalf. His sidekick Ms 'M' is very nice as well.

In fact Waterford is the only office in Ireland where I have not encountered an honest to God useless Biddy.

M

Good to hear m8, no theres no point in losing it with anyone at this stage, just go with the flow and see what happens

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I was just thinking, if anybody actually offered a service where they would come out and check all the lines and get them working for DSL they would make a nice few quid! Oh no, that is Eiroms Job, silly me.

Anyway, I now know where you are coming from shinzon and I hope you get there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

come out and check all the lines and get them working for DSL

i'd pay for that at this stage

• Advertisement

Strange one this

Having not been in contact with anyone in the government for the last 3 months, what pops through my letter box this morning only a letter from Martin Cullen saying hes having ongoing discussions with dermot aherne about my broadband situation.

Also strange is he enclosed a letter from dermot aherne saying i should again contact comreg about this and tell them to get onto Eircom again about my situation,

I basically replied by e-mail to his offices saying that comreg drew a line under my case yonks ago and were unwilling to help me with eircom.

Another small update, i was talking to the engineers again about this and theyve booked another technician to come out to test for capacitance on the line, and he said if its not upto standard theyll fix it nps

Fingers crossed yet again

Shin

Advertisement