Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to start new book suggestions?

Options
  • 17-09-2003 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

read lotr,and wot (as far as book 10) read some of david eddings stuff as well bit weird imo.

any suggestions on a good series to start and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Robin Hobb - the farseer trilogy.

why? because it is excellent, original, well written, nicely developed characters, a believable world (hard to do in fantasy), intricate plot and some lovely twists in the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And there are two trilogies that follow on from it so you will want to read and read. She has also written a couple of other trilogies as Megan Lindholm which are quite good so once you get a taste with the Farseer - Liveships - Tawny Man series you can go back to some of her earlier works.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll also recommend Robin Hobb - Fitz is a superb character.

Now when you're ready for an intricately plotted tale full of shocks and great writing, I'll recommend "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. Three of a planned six books have been released so far and it's widely regarded as THE best series currently in modern fantasy.

And if you're a fan of insane epic plots spanning millennia and multiple continets (as well as multiple volumes) check out Steven Erikson's Malazan series. Four books of a planned ten have been released, with one new book coming out each December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Just finishing Kim Stanley Ronbinsons, Days of Rice and Salt.
    I thought it was an excellent read, seems to be loads of copies of it in the local second hand bookshops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Oh I don't know about "The Years of Rice and Salt" I read it a few months ago based on the blurb on the back. Essentially what if the plague had wiped out most of Europe and it had never become a world power. Instead the Eastern lands dominated. It covers about 800 years featuring the same characters reincarnated.

I found it to be very meandering, with characters that were neither capitavating or interesting. Some timelines were given heaps of space, while others were hurried. A great idea, but just not well executed, I thought.

I just finished "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" by Robert Rankin. I bought it as it had been selected as SFM magazine "Best Book of the Year", but again I was disappointed. It really wasn't very funny or imaginative. The redeeming feature is Eddie bear, a teddy bear PI. The book encroaches upon Terry Pratchett-style territory, but he has nothing to fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Read the seventh sword trilogy by Dave Duncan. Its fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

The power and the glory by Graham Greene. Delightful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

k have a few good choices there will let ye know what one i pick when i get the time to go buy one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"Memory, Thorn & Sorrow" fantasy series by Tad Williams
    and try some Robots stories from Asimov

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Orson Scott Card's Ender series..
    Although I found that the series got worse as time went on..Early books are great though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

have to agree , Robin Hobb's books are amazing, waiting expectantly for her last Fitz book!

Advertisement