Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegatarian dogs.

Options
  • 17-09-2003 9:41pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Was listening to the radio today and they were talking about vegatarian dogs.
    I though this was strange but seemenly there are a few people out there that have their dog on a vegatrian diet.
    They got a vet on from bray animal hospital to talk about it, and he said its not harmfull to dogs and sometimes they put dogs on veggie diets to aid recovery from an infection or a certain type.
    But cats on the other hand need meet to survive, without it thay can become sick and even die from it.

Just wondering if anyone out there has their dog on a vegatarian diet and if so why?
    Whats your thought on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

had a dog years ago who needed a vegetarian diet 'cos his kidneys were so damaged he couldn't deal with the protien in meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Remember Howard Jones from the 80's. He had a vegatarian dog, but I think he had opened a vegan restaurent in New York so was probably really into it. I give my mutt dried food, not sure what the meat content is % wise but I'm sure there is probably a lot of other stuff in it besides meat. He likes it so much now he will turn his nose up to tinned (meat) dog food, but he does love his tuna :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

My old dog Dusty (RIP) had a lot of stomach problems and was put onto a special dry food like Lpfsox's dog. I think really it should only be done if the animal can't handle the meat, I don't think doing it for the sake of it is beneficial for the animal.

Advertisement