Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal-v-Inter (Contains result)

• 17-09-2003 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

3-0 at highbury. ha ha, so much for henry and vieira, pires and all the other so called stars. they cant cut it at the highest club level.

inter were missing vieiri and crespo and still managed to hammer them. thats arsenals cl season over. back to the drawing board wenger.

[edit] Added score warning to title [/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

thanks very much......had managed to avoid the score before I watch it on N2.

Very considerate thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

oops, my bad. wasnt thinking. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by smemon
    arsenals cl season over. back to the drawing board wenger.

Err, there are still a few more games left you know.

if you cant beat inter at home, you cant beat them away, that equals 0 out of 6points. the chances of arsenal picking up 10 points from the other 4 games is very slim on tonights performance.

probably the worst i have seen them play in the chmps league. very ordinary indeed. keeper was a disaster, at fault for 1 if not 2 of the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

oops, my bad. wasnt thinking. :(

fair enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Hopefully it will affect them at the weekend and United will win 6-0 or something. That would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would ceratinly be possible, especially after such a drubbing by a very ordinary team but they could also come out all guns blazing and hockey united who are riding high on the Panathanaikos result...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

While they were absolutely brutal this evening, they still have a very good chance of going through....

Maybe someone can answer me this... Last season, Liverpool were criticised for not having enough width but had players like Heskey who suited crosses being wipped in for the wings.... Has anyone noticed that Arsenal have loadsa width but do not have anyone in the box that can actually head the ball if a good cross is sent in.... This was very obvious tonight..

While I support Liverpool, I really like Arsenal as a team and a club... Does anyone feel that Wenger is going to have to make major additions to the squad is his previous success is to be continued... The first team have 6 or 7 top quality players and thats it, i.e. Campbell, Cole, Vierra, Pires, Henry, Ljunberg and Wiltord, the rest of the squad is somewhat lacking, i.e. Kanu, Bergkamp, Toures, Cygan, Lauren, Parlour, and Van Bronkhorst, Jeffers and Pennant on loan.

I am not stirring **** here, I feel its a valid poiint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The first team have 6 or 7 top quality players and thats it, i.e. Campbell, Cole, Vierra, Pires, Henry, Ljunberg and Wiltord, the rest of the squad is somewhat lacking, i.e. Kanu, Bergkamp, Toures, Cygan, Lauren, Parlour, and Van Bronkhorst, Jeffers and Pennant on loan.
    Judging from recent performances Campbell is slowly creeping down to the "somewhat lacking" group. Oh how much Arsenal would love to have Mjallby or Balde.

Originally posted by eireboy
    Judging from recent performances Campbell is slowly creeping down to the "somewhat lacking" group. Oh how much Arsenal would love to have Mjallby or Balde.

Oh god you really are a muppet too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Inter did very well to beat a team like arsenal on home soil by such a margin. I agree that arsenal were cat in the first half. Like most italian clubs inter were able to punish them when they made defensive errors. Martins was more than capable of filling Crespos boots he made a great finish.New signing Van Der Meyde made Ashley Cole look average. Henry did very little wrong when he took arsenal`s penalty however it wasnt enough to beat Francesco Toldo.

Arsenal looked a lot more like a team in the 2nd half. They dominated midfield for the majority of the second half but Inter`s Defence outclassed their strikers. Zanetti was well able to deal with the threat of Robert Pires from the left. Toldo made some great saves.

If inter continue to perform like this at the current level they will more than likely equal last years performance of reaching the semi finals.Arsenal still have a lot to learn about performing on the big stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

they cant cut it at the highest club level.
    My God you love stirring the proverbial kack don't you - is that your honest opinion? Without actually winning the competition Arsenal have been competing at the top level (the CL) quite respectably for years now.

It was a terrible result but the key to this group will be Arsenals away performances against Kiev and Moscow. Theres still a possible 15 points left to obtain.
    thats arsenals cl season over. back to the drawing board wenger.
    That was particularly funny - well done semon!

Oh god you really are a muppet too.
    Now come on. If there is something I said that you don't agree with then just say, don't call me a muppet. I am really getting a lot of abuse on these forums lately, a lot of it I deserve but not for saying that Campbell isn't performing well lately. And the reason I mentioned Mjallby and Balde is because I believe they are one of the best and most consistent central defensive pairings in Britain.

So please don't be calling me childish names because of my beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

I don't think the defense was impressive tonight, far from it, but I reckon it was the midfield cover that was lacking that made the major difference.

Inter, as most Italian teams and in fact most Cl teams, almost always have 2 banks of 4 players back defending as soon as the opposition has a bit of posession around the midfield area. Arsenal's problem was Ljungberg and Pires played badly , as cover for their full-backs as much as attackers. Gilberto as well was very dodgy.

Vieira was dominant whenever he was near the ball, looked different class compared to Emre etc, so how come the Inter midfield wasn't stuffed? Pires, Freddy and Gilberto have a lot to answer for imo.......

Still think they'll get through, still think they have more than enough ability to knock out anyone once they reach the final 16....hopefully tonight will wake some of them up

And Wiltord...he's not worthy to put on the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm an Arsenal fan, and I actually dread Champions League games now. And that was before tonight's result!

We're always crap in Europe. Our 'play-everything-through-the-middle' tactic doesn't work when decent teams throw 9 men behind the ball, and we're desperate away from home. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to away days in Kiev and Moscow, in between Premiership games away to Man Utd and home to Chelsea.

I just thank God that I didn't have to put up with those TV3 monkeys making it even worse this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Would ceratinly be possible, especially after such a drubbing by a very ordinary team but they could also come out all guns blazing and hockey united who are riding high on the Panathanaikos result...

How in the hell can you describe Inter as a 'very ordinary' team?? Toldo, Cannavaro, Kily Gonzalez, both Zanettis, are all outstanding players.

I suppose they do pale next to the likes of Quinton Fortune or Luke Chadwick :rolleyes:

Did you watch the match at all sheds, Inter had none of the flair of Arsenal and in the second half hardly had the ball once arsenal turned it on. I am sure Inter may have had another gear in them but they were nothing special on the night and you have got to admit that if both teams played to their potential then it would have been a far better game than it was.

BTW sheds, I have no idea how long you are around the soccer boards, longer than me probably, but surely you have had the common sense to know which way the wind is blowing. :rolleyes: I am not a Manchester United fan, I do not rate fortune or chadwick although fortune took his goal well on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

if you cant beat inter at home, you cant beat them away, that equals 0 out of 6points.

Jaysus, that's some specious reasoning. Big broad brush strokes please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnpaul

Originally posted by elbow316
    And Wiltord...he's not worthy to put on the jersey. [/B]

Well Said - If he can play for arsenal then I can play for Real Madrid. He is an absolute liability to the team - He never tracks back even though he loses the ball the most - he cannot even complete a pass (Even though most of them couldn't have even done that last night). Not able to head the ball, No left foot either.

WILTORD - u couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistfull of Euros!!!!!

Wenger wanted to sell him in the summer -- but hey surprisingly there was no buyers........!!!!hmmmm i wonder why....????

Enough about him now - he just angers me.

Bergkamp should have been on from the start and so should Parlour just so he could hassle the itilians in the middle of the park. At least he would have given Vieira more help.

OOOH and that bollocks of a player - if you can even call him a player - Campbell - Give him back to spurs.... Please.

He is an embarrassment. He's not world class and never has been, Look at the amount of mistakes he makes when he is in charge of the defence. He needs somebody there like Adams or Keown to tell him his every move. He has a concentration span of....................... what was I saying????

Gilberto ???????? Was he even playing last night ????

Toure played reasonably well considering 3 of the 4 defenders had an absolute shocker. Would have been more than 3-0 if toure hadn't have played so well.

Henry was quiet but he still looked like he could conjour something up. Vieira - still a God. Keeper was poorish - but i still think he can be quality.

Please Wenger go after the best defender in the world - STAM - no matter what he costs - hes worth it. and in a dreamworld - UP fdront - Henry and Trezeguet - Trez would make such a difference to that team - someone that would be there in the box for every attack

We will still qualify but whats the point coz if we play like that in the last 16 - we are going out in the first round anyway.
    Arsenal fans have stuck by them long enough - Its time for these so called big name players to deliver NOW!!

Very Very Very Disgruntled Arsenal fan.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Just one thing about Campbell, seems he missed last couple of training sessions as his father is ill in hospital, was pretty obvious his mind wasn't right last night.
    I can't really understand why Wenger didn't play Keown in his place because if your not on your game 100% as a defender in the CL, you're gonna be caught out.

Toure - best defender out of the 4 definitely, not difficult last night but he's very promising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So arsenal fans think they are crap after one poor match and i thought the united fans were fickle.

Men and boys last night but i wouln't write the gunners off yet. They are a Good team and if they couls get a few good results in europe it may help with their confidence and IMO they have the playes to go very far in rthe comp. Unusually for arsenal they do seem to be lacking in defence. Thse keeper made a few mistakes but he is still a good keeper and will be good in the long term, those in front of him were poor last night and while you can bet away with that in the prem you will be punished in Europe.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Very Very Vey Happy United Fan;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

inter were missing vieiri and crespo and still managed to hammer them. thats arsenals cl season over. back to the drawing board wenger.

[edit] Added score warning to title [/edit]

Eh!!! Maybe Because Crespo Plays for Chelsea????? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hmmm inter were also missing toto schillachi as well as crespo :o

Originally posted by bazH
    hmmm inter were also missing toto schillachi as well as crespo :o
    Sure what chance did Arsenal have without Brady, there season won't start properly till he comes back....

And is it any wonder that they conceded so many without Seaman in nets, or maybe not ...

Now come on. If there is something I said that you don't agree with then just say, don't call me a muppet. I am really getting a lot of abuse on these forums lately, a lot of it I deserve but not for saying that Campbell isn't performing well lately. And the reason I mentioned Mjallby and Balde is because I believe they are one of the best and most consistent central defensive pairings in Britain.

Balde and Mjalby are ok in Scotland, but ask me bollix if ya think they could cut it in the Premiership.

So please don't be calling me childish names because of my beliefs.

I think you will get over it... poor fella hurt by the name calling

I cant wait to see Tony Adams back at the centre of defence for the Gunners. I agree they missed him badl last night. Is there any truth that wright is back in training with charlie george and chippie brady?

PS Just one word of condolences for those lamenting the absence of an arsenal defence in the cl. Upson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Someone above hit the nail on the head that Arsenal can cross it but to who? (should have bought Viduka)

Another also posted that they play tru the middle and against a Charlton or Everton side they will thrash them bnut against teams who are good enough to sit back and counter attack they will struggle.

Arsenal dont have a player who will throw his bollix at connecting with a cross or score a scuffed crappy goal.

Inter gave a good away performance but it wasnt amazing they just did enough and btw why isnt anyone commenting on Ver Der Somfin absolutley cracking volley.
    Schoolboys everywhere should watch that as its the perfect example of volleying a football.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Balde and Mjalby are ok in Scotland, but ask me bollix if ya think they could cut it in the Premiership.

balde is a top class defender who imo could cut it just fine in the premiership without a shadow of a doubt.

Mjally im not so sure about, but dont underate balde, hes one of the best central defenders ive seen play in green and white, and to think hes still so young is unbelievable

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Chief
    balde is a top class defender who imo could cut it just fine in the premiership without a shadow of a doubt.

Mjally im not so sure about, but dont underate balde, hes one of the best central defenders ive seen play in green and white, and to think hes still so young is unbelievable

I dont agree, Scotland is a totally different ball games. They couldnt cut it for the likes of United or ther other big clubs.

Someone above hit the nail on the head that Arsenal can cross it but to who? (should have bought Viduka)

Me me, that was me :D:p

I dont agree, Scotland is a totally different ball games. They couldnt cut it for the likes of United or ther other big clubs.
    Saying that they couldn't cut it at United and that they couldn't cut it in the Premier League are two completely different things.

Balde is definitely good enough for the Premier League. He may not be on Uniteds shopping list but he would have no trouble fitting into any mid table premier league team. I'm pretty sure if he went to Man City he would be their best defender.

Originally posted by p.pete
    Saying that they couldn't cut it at United and that they couldn't cut it in the Premier League are two completely different things.

Balde is definitely good enough for the Premier League. He may not be on Uniteds shopping list but he would have no trouble fitting into any mid table premier league team. I'm pretty sure if he went to Man City he would be their best defender.

Ok valid point, I got carried away there a bit. But the original statement the Eireboy made was nonsense. Thats how this got started. I refer you to exhibit 1:

Ok valid point, I got carried away there a bit. But the original statement the Eireboy made was nonsense. Thats how this got started. I refer you to exhibit 1:
    Well there's plent of people who would agree that Campbell isn't performing well and Balde is a good defender (remember he had to play the likes of Bayern, Liverpool and Porto so its not just the scottish league) so where is the nonsense bit?

Well there's plent of people who would agree that Campbell isn't performing well and Balde is a good defender (remember he had to play the likes of Bayern, Liverpool and Porto so its not just the scottish league) so where is the nonsense bit?

You were implying that Arsenal would love to have Mjallby or Balde.. To be honest, if they did want want either one, Wenger would have at least bidded for either of them. Not as if they would turn down the opputunity of joining a massive club like Arsenal...

Campblell have has been a bit dodge the last 2 games, he is still a deadly defender though.

So back to the point....

Balde and Mjallby would be good enough for a middle table team like Charlton or Villa. Neither are good enough to play for United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Newcastle.

I wonder what your opinion of both players would be if they didnt play for Celtic.

Originally posted by Sposs
    Eh!!! Maybe Because Crespo Plays for Chelsea????? :)

i meant he has just moved and he was a massive player for them. they have yet to replace him although they wont need to if martins plays like that all the time.

as stated on other topics, italian defenses are the toughest test for attackers and henry and wiltord failed miserably. maybe a one off but how many times have arsenal failed to impress in europe??

their cl season is over, they wont beat inter away, fact. any team who dont add to their squad each season is asking for trouble. arsenal dont know how to play against top european clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

arsenal dont know how to play against top european clubs.

True but strange considering they have a lot of Euros playing for them.

kdjac

their cl season is over, they wont beat inter away, fact. any team who dont add to their squad each season is asking for trouble. arsenal dont know how to play against top european clubs.

I am not so sure about them not beating Inter away and so am doubting the FACT part of the statement. Arseanl had a few chances, pulled a couple of saves out of the keeper and owned the midfield for the second half. As viera said at the p conference, they need more of the instinct of the killer... Somebody who will take a bit of shoving in and around the box and who will maybe stay on their feet when they get in the box, maybe they could push Campbell up there for crosses, he was certainly close to non existant in defence yesterday..

very rarely does anybody beat italians on italian soil. especially the 2 milans. last season arsenal were crying out for a big brute of a striker that holds everything up and throws himself at crosses. if they got one maybe they'd find it easier in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

very rarely does anybody beat italians on italian soil. especially the 2 milans.

Erm, so their league only has draws then?

Any team is beatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Balde and Mjallby would be good enough for a middle table team like Charlton or Villa. Neither are good enough to play for United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Newcastle .

Newcastle aren't looking like a mid table side yet??

I think Balde would be rated better than Toure!!!

• Advertisement

european clubs, ie teams outside italy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

originally posted by thanx fo rthe fish
    As viera said at the p conference, they need more of the instinct of the killer... Somebody who will take a bit of shoving in and around the box and who will maybe stay on their feet when they get in the box,

lol stay on their feet , Arsene would have a fit , it's not the gooner way ;-)

theres always Heskey i guess ;-)

balde is one of the best centre backs in the world. players like that are priceless. mjallby is crap. balde is a rock and probably the bravest player i have ever seen.

he cant pass the ball but if your a defender thats not really your no.1 job. what manu or arsenal would do for balde, the incredible hulk. i have to say playing at celtic will probably ruin him, he has the potential to become a great player. balde came for 2m or less i think. what a bargain.

balde is one of the best centre backs in the world. players like that are priceless. mjallby is crap. balde is a rock and probably the bravest player i have ever seen.

he cant pass the ball but if your a defender thats not really your no.1 job. what manu or arsenal would do for balde, the incredible hulk. i have to say playing at celtic will probably ruin him, he has the potential to become a great player. balde came for 2m or less i think. what a bargain.

If ya say so.. So what do you think of Jamie Carraher, also an incredibly brave and hard working defender, who also cant pass the ball. Shame ya dont have the same opinion of him.

Balbe is a so so player.

As for Newcastle, they are better than a mid table team and their current posistion is not a true representation of their abilities. I think you are arguing that for the sake of it. At one stage United were a mid table team last season, i doubt to dismissed them as a mid table team however.

i have to say playing at celtic will probably ruin him, he has the potential to become a great player. balde came for 2m or less i think. what a bargain.
    You're an extremley contrary person most-times. If he was bought for 2m and is now looking a hell of a lot better then a 2m player then perhaps Celtic played some part in that?

Perhaps 2m is what his value is and Martin O'Neill has him playing to his maximum ability that he may never have reached if he were playing somewhere else (I think that's what happened with Heskey:mad: ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

celtic bought balde from toulouse for £900,000, what are you talking about 2 million?

and i dont think his passing is as bad as a couple of ppl make out? when he does pass he tends to play the easy ball, his headers from his own 8 yard box out to the half way line on a regular basis make up for any of that though :p

he does everything a central defender is expected to do and sometimes more, what more can you ask for. Not to mention hes a powerhouse with alot of bravery (when he thinks he can get the ball a brick wall couldnt stop him getting up there :p)

(anyway this thread was about arsenal sorry...)

arsenal's problem against inter was they played it like a premiership match trying to pass it around down and go through the middle, and this looked like the only thing they knew how to do. The italians are great at defending and never let this caution them, when arsenal couldnt break through they honestly looked as if they didnt know what the hell else to do and so just kept playing with that same play style and not getting anywhere..

what they need to do is adapt to european football and make changes in there style of play, as ive said after that 1 strategy didnt work for them they didnt know what to do and just plodded on regardless like muppets.

If they continue to do that then *** i can see celtic getting further in the CL.....

Originally posted by Big Chief
    celtic bought balde from toulouse for £900,000, what are you talking about 2 million?
    Apologies, I really should check my facts when quoting from a source as dubious as semon....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by johnpaul
    Well Said - If he can play for arsenal then I can play for Real Madrid. He is an absolute liability to the team - He never tracks back even though he loses the ball the most - he cannot even complete a pass (Even though most of them couldn't have even done that last night). Not able to head the ball, No left foot either.

WILTORD - u couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistfull of Euros!!!!!
    If Wiltord can't score, how come he is 4th top scorer in the premiership ahead of Shearer and the likes?
    OOOH and that bollocks of a player - if you can even call him a player - Campbell - Give him back to spurs.... Please.

He is an embarrassment. He's not world class and never has been, Look at the amount of mistakes he makes when he is in charge of the defence. He needs somebody there like Adams or Keown to tell him his every move. He has a concentration span of....................... what was I saying????
    Sol Campbell has been a great player for Arsenal and is Arsenal's best defender by far. His dad had just had a bloody stroke (and has now died) so of course his concentration wasn't there.
    Please Wenger go after the best defender in the world - STAM - no matter what he costs - hes worth it. and in a dreamworld - UP fdront - Henry and Trezeguet - Trez would make such a difference to that team - someone that would be there in the box for every attack
    yeah throw a load of money they don't have at a player or two, who hopefully won't get injured. watched leeds play recently?
    We will still qualify but whats the point coz if we play like that in the last 16 - we are going out in the first round anyway.
    Arsenal fans have stuck by them long enough - Its time for these so called big name players to deliver NOW!!
    lol, been supporting since 2001 have ya? If you've been an Arsenal fan longer than 10 seconds you'd be plenty happy just to see the way Arsenal are playing in recent years. 1 title, and 2 FA cups in the last 2 seasons with football that is an absolute joy to watch. Compared to the old days of boring boring Arsenal where winning the cup winners cup or the cup double was the height of their success (or the odd division 1 title every now and again). Want a quick fix? go back to supporting Man Utd. arsenal players aren't deserving of your 'loyalty'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i agree with everything kaids said

eh you do realise that 2 teams qualify from each group yes ?

last season arsenal were crying out for a big brute of a striker that holds everything up and throws himself at crosses. if they got one maybe they'd find it easier in europe.

we need someone like that badly

but it is only one match, we're still top of the premiership and have 5 games to go in the champions league, wenger just needs to plan out better tactics for playing in champions league and annoyingly for everyone including all the neutrals that seems to include playing very conservative and patient and fairly boring football just like milan did last season

Condolances On Cambells loss.

He is a good player and no wonder his mind was elsewhere.

With supporters Like JP who needs Opposition .
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement