Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB offer free instal, modem and first months rental

Options
  • 18-09-2003 12:11am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So IOL are also giving the same offer as Eircom:

- Free Installation
    - Free Modem
    - First months rental free

from the 1st of October.

Normal rental remains €49.49

You can find the details here

Great, so any news from UTV and Netsource.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Netsource tried to slide it by me, but I asked them about it on Tuesday evening. No reply yet. I doubt UTV will be far behind, although I'm surprised that they weren't first out of the traps.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 zakumara

also IOL says :

Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    From the 1st October you will be entitled to free transfer of up to 8 Gigabytes of data in any given month. This is double the allowance on the eircom i-stream service.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's quite funny when you think about it, this appears to be the only substantial difference we have with the UK. They bring the limits down from infinity, we bring them up from nuthin'. I wonder where we'll meet...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Originally posted by zakumara
    also IOL says :

Is there going to be a data transfer limit?
    From the 1st October you will be entitled to free transfer of up to 8 Gigabytes of data in any given month. This is double the allowance on the eircom i-stream service.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are consistently above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account.

So does this mean that if I download 3-4 ISO's in one day and stay under 8Gb for the month I get disconnected? hmmm dodgey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by bk
    So IOL are also giving the same offer as Eircom:

- Free Installation
    - Free Modem
    - First months rental free

from the 1st of October.

Normal rental remains €49.49

You can find the details here

Great, so any news from UTV and Netsource.

Wouldn't really say the same offer as
    (1) It's a cheaper offer then eircoms Broadband one
    (2) It's available now....rather then next month
    (3) The CAP is double that of Eircoms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

He meant the same offer as in 1st month free, free connection and free modem.
    So does this mean that if I download 3-4 ISO's in one day and stay under 8Gb for the month I get disconnected? hmmm dodgey!!

Not true at all, the last 3 days of august i downloaded 1.5gb~ a day, and some days this month i've downloaded well over a gb in 1 day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

all of this is useless unless more people can get the bloody service. It might aswell be free installation, free modem, and free rental forever for all the use it'll do me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Its close but not there yet.
    As sson as anyone offers a 10gig cap for less than €50 im outta netfarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

Just had a look at Esat FAQ and it specifies that you can only use their broadband connection with one computer, as there is only one dynamic IP address.

Is it the same with Eircom (cannot find anything about this on their website)

I also see that Eircom charge euro 157 for an engineer to call and re-configure if you are on their Phonewatch alarm system.

It seems that Eircom give you the modem as you only need to return it if you cancel within 12 months, whereas Esat loan it to you for the duration of your subscription.

esentziak

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by esentziak
    Just had a look at Esat FAQ and it specifies that you can only use their broadband connection with one computer, as there is only one dynamic IP address.

Is it the same with Eircom (cannot find anything about this on their website)
    The more expensive packages allow you more than one IP address, but with i-stream solo, the solo means one IP. It's easily circumvented with a Dsl-specific router/firewall/NAT between your machines and the modem though. What you do with this information is not my responsibility ;)

It seems that Eircom give you the modem as you only need to return it if you cancel within 12 months, whereas Esat loan it to you for the duration of your subscription.
    IIRC Eircom state that the modem remains the property of eircom plc. Which means they'll probably ask for it back if/when you leave their subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

Thanks, Seamus.

Esentziak

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I got the application forms before this offer was made, haven't sent them away yet but should I ring up to make sure I'll get this nice bonus? Just to be sure they won't charge me EU140 extra =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone tell me if i can do the following:

Have two computers (networked) and an Xbox (for Xbox Live) connected to IOL BB? Using a router (i mean will i have problems if i have only one IP address)?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by dahamsta
    It's quite funny when you think about it, this appears to be the only substantial difference we have with the UK. They bring the limits down from infinity, we bring them up from nuthin'. I wonder where we'll meet...

adam

I dont think they will ever even remotely come close to each other, the stingy fúckers delivering broadband in this country will give the absolute minimum (i.e. 1 or 2 or OMG even 4 Gigs more than the competition)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Does anyone know how long it takes Esat to contact you after you sign up online? I was expecting first thing this morning like a big eejit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Originally posted by bloggs

Have two computers (networked) and an Xbox (for Xbox Live) connected to IOL BB? Using a router (i mean will i have problems if i have only one IP address)?

Cheers

You shouldn't have any problems if you have a router. You have one public IP address and the router will do Network Address Translation (NAT) from this address to private IP addresses on your internal network (generally using the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x ranges).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by bloggs

Cheers

No problem at all, very easy, most routers have a DHCP server built-in that will issue each computer that connects to it with a non-public IP address in the 192.168.x..x or 10.x.x.x range.

The router then uses NAT to forward traffic between itself and the connected computers.

It is easier then it sounds, generally it is just a matter of plugin your network card and set windows to get it's IP address from DHCP (Linux is even easier, well Suse at least).

I'm not to sure about the Xbox, but it should be something similar, I have seen lots of guides for it on the net, just check out gaming websites

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

The modem they supply you with is a Zyxel P630 USB, and I haven't found a router that supports that yet :(
    You'd have to buy your own modem if you want to do fancy stuff like that (and I would love to do fancy stuff like that, got 2 pcs, a mac and an Xbox all waiting to embrace adsl).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by exiztone
    The modem they supply you with is a Zyxel P630 USB, and I haven't found a router that supports that yet :(
    You'd have to buy your own modem if you want to do fancy stuff like that (and I would love to do fancy stuff like that, got 2 pcs, a mac and an Xbox all waiting to embrace adsl).

Yes, I'm afraid you will need to dump the USB modem, they aren't much good. You will need to dish out for a fancy DSL router as you say.

I use the excellent Draytek Vigor 2600 (about e210).

You could use the USB modem to connect to one of the PC's and then use that as a gateway with internet sharing software and a standard network switch/hub. to connect to the other devices.

However it would be much more difficult to setup and not as secure and stable. Personally I don't think it is worth the trouble, it is worth spending the cash on a DSL router, it will be cheaper in the long time.

Engoy playing with you network, it is a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I have had several Zyxel modems and my experience of them is somewhat of a disaster. I just hate them, period.

OHP

• Advertisement
Advertisement