Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using IOLBB on more than One computer?

• 18-09-2003 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm on IOL no limits at the moment sharing the connection with my other computer downstairs which my brother uses, I'd like to get in IOL BB and share the connection over the lan the same way as I'm doing with the dialup, Is this possible?

It says on the IOL site that it is not because of the USB modem being one of the reasons...surely this isnt true?

Anyone using iolbb able to share their connection with another pc?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Amartin

Anyone using iolbb able to share their connection with another pc?

Thanks all

You have a few options..you could buy an ethernet modem, or you could buy an ethernet card (if you don't already have one in your pc), hook it up to a hub and share out the connection that way.
    Even though IOL say in the T&C's that you can't have more than one pc connected, they have absolutely no way of telling how many pc's you're sharing your connection too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I assume you are using Internet Connection Sharing that comes with Win Me/2k/XP?

In which case, yes, you can share out a usb-adsl modem (or any other network interface for that matter) using this, and IOL would have to be watching you like a hawk to tell if there was another machine behind you.

Besides, technically, you only do have one computer connected to the ADSL line :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If it's just 2 computers you could just use ICS, but that would mean the computer with the USB modem would have to be on for the other computer to access the net.

Hub would be best idea, but just if you don't wanna spend y'know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

If you have a couple of quid, I would definitely recommend buying an ADSL router and connecting each machine to this rather than to each other.
    This also has the advantage of hiding your machines behind NAT, making it more difficult for script kiddies and trojans to get at your machine(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Thanks all, yep I would buy a hub/basically or do whatever is neccessary, for the moment I have 2 PC's so they are just connected by network cards using the ICS in Windows XP, just I got a bit worried because I saw on their website
    http://www.iol.ie/broadband/faq.htm

"Can you use from more then 1 computer?
    No the account can only be used from one computer. This is due to the fact that it is a single IP address and USB connection."

I guess its just there to confuse ppl lol, certainly got me.....bit tis quite misleading alright

Anthony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

Why not just use crossover cable, is it because you can filter with the hub and connect a adsl router to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

This also has the advantage of hiding your machines behind NAT, making it more difficult for script kiddies and trojans to get at your machine(s).
    That's how ICS works, it just turns your pc into a NAT server. You just gotta firewall the pc with the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

That's how ICS works, it just turns your pc into a NAT server. You just gotta firewall the pc with the connection.
    Fine so long as its a Hardware firewall.

My point is that with a router you have a completely separate layer of protection. Your PCs are not directly exposed and they are not discovered by ping sweeps or port scans.
    Running NAT on a PC, that PC has a publicly accessible interface available for probing and is therefore more vulnerable.

My intrusion detection software has stopped reporting port scans now that I am behind an ADSL router. If I connect the PC directly up to the internet, there are scans within minutes from all around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Once you've a LAN you can share your internet connection and set up an ultra-cheap e-mail server with author Thomas Hauck's program JanaServer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

So i'm going to be getting BB in a few days(supposed to be today but the bastards never showed up!!) and i goign to want something pretty much the same as Amartin. I'm just wondering now about this adsl router, is that instead of the adsl modem? I'm going with eircom and they r going to be giving us a usb/ethernet combi modem so i was going with that cuz so i could use the ethernet modem to connect to other comps(1 or 2) but is the adsl router better? Also how mcuh is the adsl router and is it easy to install?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by suppafly
    I'm just wondering now about this adsl router, is that instead of the adsl modem? I'm going with eircom and they r going to be giving us a usb/ethernet combi modem so i was going with that cuz so i could use the ethernet modem to connect to other comps(1 or 2) but is the adsl router better? Also how mcuh is the adsl router and is it easy to install?
    The eircom box is fine.

Just pick one of the "broadband routers" that have an ethernet port for their WAN connection - the DLink URL=http://www.dlink.co.uk/390.htm]DI-604[/URL], Linksys BEFSR41, Netgear RP614 or similiar. Plug it into the ethernet port on the Netopia modem, and off you go. You won't even need to install the DSL "dialler" on your PC, because the router will handle the logging in process.

(Note that these routers are typically €50 or so cheaper than a "DSL router", because they don't have any DSL circuitry. But if you switch to NTL or a Wireless ISP at some point in the future, you'll still be able to use the router, whereas a DSL router would become an expensive paperweight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The eircom box is fine.

Just pick one of the "broadband routers" that have an ethernet port for their WAN connection

The Netopia is already a router, so just pick up a cheap Ethernet switch instead and plug it into the Ethernet port of the Netopia box to share the connection.

Originally posted by hudson806
    The Netopia is already a router,
    Someone mentioned this to me last week, and it explains the comments about enabling "bridging" in one of the other threads here.

Does the Netopia provide DHCP and NAT when running in Router mode?

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Does the Netopia provide DHCP and NAT when running in Router mode?
    Answering my own question. According to the FAQ page on the Netopia site, it looks like DHCP and NAT are supported.

It might actually be worth paying €60 extra over the course of a year to get this rather than the USB junk you get with IOL or UTV. (Of course, eircom want a bit of your soul too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

so i'll be fine with the eircom one then yeah?

Originally posted by suppafly
    so i'll be fine with the eircom one then yeah?
    Yes. By all accounts, it's a nice piece of kit.

Advertisement