Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Wexford called "The Model County?"

Options
  • 18-09-2003 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me why Wexford is called the Model County?
    Is it because everything looks small?
    Or is it in the context of "he was a model citizen"?
    Or is it because all the women are gorgeous? er.....maybe scratch that one.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Originally posted by Kananga
    Can anyone tell me why Wexford is called the Model County?
    Is it because everything looks small?
    Or is it in the context of "he was a model citizen"?
    Or is it because all the women are gorgeous? er.....maybe scratch that one.
    Any ideas?

Everything looks small - ok, maybe you need to go to the opticians - just a suggestion :)

Model citizens - could be - sure we're all soooo nice and great here in Wexford!!!!

All the women are gorgeous - now that could well be it :rolleyes:

I think it has something to do with our great agricultural land, hence why every other county would want to model itself on Wexford - bet you guessed it would be a boring answer in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Wexford is a 'model' for the rest of Ireland.

The east coast is good farmland, the west has mountains, the main town is located halfway up the east coast.
    Ross=Cork, Enniscorthy= Galway, Gorey= Belfast.

It was named that when they fisrst started making maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

jongore wrote: »
    Wexford is a 'model' for the rest of Ireland.

The east coast is good farmland, the west has mountains, the main town is located halfway up the east coast.
    Ross=Cork, Enniscorthy= Galway, Gorey= Belfast.

It was named that when they fisrst started making maps.

worst geography ever main town half way up the coast? ross where cork is?? enniscorthy where galway is???? the gorey one is the only one that remotely makes ANY sense here is a map to refresh peoples memory

http://www.countywexford.com/pics/wexford_map.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As this is more Wexford related..

Topic Moved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I thought the English named us that during the Plantations, due to our ancestors willingness to roll over and take it

Exemplar Hibernius or Summat like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I think its because in the past in was home to pioneering industry, such as Pierces Enginnering which became a world wide company, exporting farm machinary all over the globe. At one stage it had offices in south america. The county was seen as a 'model' of industry to the balance of the country. However in latter years industry of this nature has been to kind to Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

was it not in the time of plantations were governments would set up model plantations for others to follow?

As in Model Farm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

We are a model for the rest of the country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Look down this end there must be something in the water for the last few hundred years!Cos we are all as sexy as sin!Topic closed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

It was because of the progressive farming methods used, I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement