Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should Smoking whilst driving be banned?

Options
  • 18-09-2003 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

I've smoked for years whilst driving but ive never done something like this eijit did. Do you think its as dangerous to smoke whilst driving as being on a phone or even driving whilst a bit tipsy?

This all comes about from me driving to a client yesterday and nearly being killed by someone who dropped their fag. Was coming down a main road in the country, doing about 60 when I see this accord coming towards me about half way accross the line. I flashed and flashed and then braked and pulled right into the hard shoulder but she still nicked my wingmirror. As the car came closer and closer i realised i couldnt see anything but the top of the drivers head. She swung away just after she touched my mirror and pulled back into her side of the road. I handbraked around and went stright after her and she pulled over. I jumped out absolutly raging and went up to her window but lost all the rage when she nearly started crying and apologised profusly. It turned out she had dropped her ciggerette on the floor and was trying to pick it up in case it burned her skirt as she was going to an interview. I just shook my head and drove away after that.

Im starting to think maybe smoking and driving is a bit dangerous for some people. What do ye think?

Is smoking and driving dangerous? 11 votes

No, I've done it for years
    0% 0 votes
    Maybe, if you're not carefull
    72% 8 votes
    Yes but people should be made more carefull
    9% 1 vote
    Yes, Should be banned immediatly!
    18% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I think all major distractions from driving should be illegal.

By this I mean anything that requires full consicence tought for more than 2-3 seconds.

So yes I think smoking should be banned when driving.

Another benefit of this would be cig butts would no longer be thrown out windows. (Thats really p***es me off)

I also think all car manufacteurs must make radio/cd controls on the steering wheel standard.

The following should also be banned when driving:

1. Reading of any sort (This includes maps)

2. Using a mobile phone (This includes making/answering calls or texts)

3. Eating and Drinking (hot drinks only)

Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I defiantly agree with you on the point of the audio controls to be mounted on the steering wheel. Fiddling around for the controls on the radio can be incredibly distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Add picking your nose and putting a cd / tape in the player to the list.

there is probably some carefully worded law which covers all these under the term dangerous driving but enforcement is a problem unless you actually crash into something and the judge is there to witness you shoving your index up your nose, will go while you stick a cd on with the other hand and steer using your thighs!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by K2
    Add picking your nose and putting a cd / tape in the player to the list.

there is probably some carefully worded law which covers all these under the term dangerous driving but enforcement is a problem unless you actually crash into something and the judge is there to witness you shoving your index up your nose, will go while you stick a cd on with the other hand and steer using your thighs!:(
    I thinks it's called "driving without due care and attention" and is one of those things where it only needs the evidence of the Garda involved (which will usually "beat" the evidence of the motorist).

Saw someone blowing their nose going around a corner the other day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

On the nose blowing subject.

I suffer from hay fever in summer.

I know I would not have time to pull over before I have to sneeze so does that mean I break the law.

I do slow down a lot though when the hay fever gets bad and try to avoid driving if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Discovering
    I know I would not have time to pull over before I have to sneeze so does that mean I break the law.I do slow down a lot though when the hay fever gets bad and try to avoid driving if possible.
    Oh, fair enough, but you don't use hankerchief and both ahdns goign arounf a corner do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by Victor
    Saw someone blowing their nose going around a corner the other day :rolleyes:
    A bloke in Britain crashed his motorbike because he sneezed with his visor down and wasn't able to see through it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Saw a chap driving down Baggot st reading the paper a few months ago. I mean he was actually READING it.
    And it was lunchtime too.
    Saw another guy driving a HGV reading a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

how about adding a simple No to the poll, the options above dont give a non-smoker who disagrees an answer.

really though, smoking while driving isnt all that difficult, its a trained automatic series of gestures that requires no real thought.
    Its analagous to changing gears. or reaching for the light switch.
    This anti-smoking crusade is going too far. (I'm non-smoker by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

*** the traffic was so BLOODY bad in and around the City Centre today I wish I had a book or magazine to read! :D

I'm starting to get seriously pissed off about this whole LUAS thing now... It's fast becoming the Irish joke of the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by echomadman
    how about adding a simple No to the poll, the options above dont give a non-smoker who disagrees an answer.

really though, smoking while driving isnt all that difficult, its a trained automatic series of gestures that requires no real thought.
    Its analagous to changing gears. or reaching for the light switch.
    This anti-smoking crusade is going too far. (I'm non-smoker by the way)

Anything (even picking your nose) that means your hand is off the controls means you reaction time is increased. Which thus makes it a safety issue. Remember the girl in england who got done for drinking something while stopped at lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Anything (even picking your nose) that means your hand is off the controls means you reaction time is increased.
    Gear shifting takes your hand off the wheel. Should manual transmissions be outlawed too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by colinsky
    Gear shifting takes your hand off the wheel. Should manual transmissions be outlawed too?

Its dumb question. Shifting gear one hand is still on the wheel and the gear shift is part of controlling the car. If one hand is doing something else it means its not on either the gear shift or wheel. You don't have 3 hands. Its why a gear shift on the wheel itself is safer and improves response times than the normal manual one.

A person smoking has their hand on the controls less than some one who isn't. Its another distraction that doesn't need to be there. Do you not think driving should be made safer? Personally I think Radios that are postioned out of easy line of sight, like low down on the dash are as bad as are drink holders and all that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Well,
    IMHO,
    1) Smoking should be banned while driving immediately!
    As a passenger, sure go ahead, but not in my car, your not gonna rot my lungs.

2) People who do smoke in cars and throw the butt out the window while driving are complete and utter retards and dont comprehend i) rubbish and our envoirnment ii) a highly flammable engine in a vehicle travelling behind them which tends to disagree with lit $hitsticks being thrown at them.

Some people just dont bother to think....
    James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's ridiculous that using a mobile phone or eating should be punishable by law while driving and smoking isn't. Let's be honest, what is going to warrant more of your immediate attention if you drop one into your lap, a mars bar or a lit cigarrette?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Only losers smoke while driving. Smoking fags is for suckers anyway. They also throw their butts out the window, which is a littering offence.

Advertisement