Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone one else find this worrying..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Another good reason to use Linux really isn't it?

I think MS tried to 'rent' out Windows or DOS or something a couple of years ago, the whole thing failed of course but they are thinking about bringing it back, yes.

So if you stick with Windows expect to see a Microsoft Bill coming through the letterbox every month smile.gif

Karla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

jesus hobbes quit jumping on every rumor that comes out. anti piracy laws should be enforced more (and they are now in Ireland, at last).

just think before you post, how will a vendor remote disable your software? huh? built in remote control? trying to enforce something like this over the net would b a litigation nightmare, it won't happen.

as for MS and the 'renting' of their OS, again, this came from an internal ideas session in MS, like it isn't going to happen either cause it wouldn't work, christ we've all come up with some dumb ****e in brainstorming sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I reckon this idea will actually last for even less time than DIVX did.

(I note that even Disney now seem to have abandoned DIVX for the greener pastures of DVD....)

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They still sell DIVX in all the local shops here (despite the futility of it).

Touched a nerve Noggy? smile.gif Actually M$ mention of renting Win2000 came up in the court case and they said they were thinking of that option, if this went through it would be doable.

And there's loads of whys to disable software, just build timebombs or force it to contact the net or to crash a lot after aset amount of months (I know of one Irish alarm company that built this into thier circut boards to kill the alarm after one year to force the people to take maintaince contracts. They have since closed down).

Some games software already implents this (UO/Unreal).

Anyway the bill only relates to US.

Advertisement