Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reinstalling Win95

Options
  • 02-06-1999 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

ok. I wanna be sure what to do before i go through with this.

I have my 8gig drive partitioned into C: and D:...i presume i delete both partitions (or just c smile.gif. So what then?...the pc starts up from the bios?. How do i run the win95 setup once the cd drivers have been deleted?. A boot disk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh god rob, i feel your pain.
    but then again i manage to wipe my h/d on a regular basis and its pretty easy to getyour stuff up and running.
    first of, you need a dos boot disk.
    make sure you have drivers for cd rom, or you wont be loading anything.
    make sure drivers for cd rom work and make sure you know how to install them from scratch. bit tricky for the non- techie gimps like me an you.

or just stick with win98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

dont bother with fdfisk, just reformat your C drive and reinstall win95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

just deltree windows and then wipe ure root directory, leaving all your folders there, intact.
    THEN install win95, after booting using a 95 boot disk
    SORTED

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Whats wrong with win98? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

it suxs...explanation enuf smile.gif

• Advertisement

95 boot disk?....im sure that the program for making a system disk has that option?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I did notice before when i re-formatted my Hd and installed Win98 (which is fine if you ask me by the way) that it gives you an option to backup files in case you want to install but I don't know how you're supposed to actually uninstall it anyway.
    One suggestion above was to delete the windows directory and run win95 setup but Win9x is nearly always stoopid enough to think it's still there and so the best option remains a re-format and install option which should be done like so:

1. In the Add/Remove programs box there is a tab to create a setup disk. Use this so that when you have to work form dos you'll have access to your Cd-Rom Drive. It does not matter that it is a Win-Startup disk.

2. Backup the files you need to keep elsewhere if you can, otherwise you'll have to live without this option smile.gif

3. Your bootup disk has the Dos commands so just type format c: /s and away it goes. I'm not sure but I think your partitions might go with the re-format.

4. Run setup on your CDROM et voila.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

This is what i did when i reinstalled win98 last time. i have 8gig pertitioned too.

1. copied win98 cd to d: (for some reason my cd drive wasn't being recognised in dos)
    2. in dos "format c:\" (you loose all data so back up!!!)
    3. "d:" "setup"
    4: grand job squire. fresh as a daisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

oh yeah.. delete Explorer
    and install Litestep!
    hehe

thx ppl smile.gif

back on win95 running fine smile.gif

• Advertisement

ok win98 is ****ing me off bigtime and i just wanna wipe the entire thing and reinstall '95. 98 wont let me run the 95 setup program...so is there any way to put 95 back on, preferably without wiping the h/d (but if it comes to that i'll do it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

fdisk is your only route.

excuse the ignorance but:

erm...fdisk? smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

it wipes yur harddisk... start from scratch...

I dont know of anyone who managed toi go back to win95 from win98 without doing it.

G

Advertisement