Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage

Options
  • 18-09-2003 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for a ceremony for marriage without the church hoo haa?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

if you are not getting married Via a Catholice shurch or a church of ireland wedding you will have to have a civil ceremony or else the marraige will not be legal.

If you are looking for an exchange of vows
    and a declaration of love other then the civil wedding there is a lot more out there then what you think .

For the old irish touch there is handfasting
    as was done under brehon law, or a humanist ceremony or write your own vows to be echanged infront of your loved one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

it's revolting that they still have a say in the matter and the state is their accomplice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Hi,
    some elements often seen at non-church weddings are:
    - the bride wearing blue, the traditional Celtic wedding colour.
    - bride and groom bringing a candle to the altar and lighting a unity candle from it.
    - bride and groom feeding eachother.
    - Both parents bringing their child (both bride and groom) before the celebrant and saying a few words of blessing and how happy they are with the union.
    - guests saying little poems or reciting lovely anectodes during the ceremony.
    - there being a circle of rose petals around the couple.
    - the couple jumping the broom to symbolise leaving their old life behind and starting a new one together.
    - the couple saying what they will do for future children, or pledging their love and care for existing children.

I have performed and help write many handfasting, both Pagan ones and non-religious ones. If you'd like some help, or a couple of sample ceremonies, email me and I will be happy to chat to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Smurf1

Hi Silja,

This is my first time using this website and going by the date on your last message, I'm not sure if you'll get this message. I would be interested in talking to you about non religious cermonies. How do I get your e-mail address???

Thanks
    Smurf1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Silja hasn't been logged in here in over a year (from the user profile :: Last Activity: 30-04-2004 12:29 ) so I doubt s/he's going to see the message.

Link to her homepage is http://indigo.ie/~silja/SilverWheel/ a possible email address can be deduced from that (although Indigo.. by god that's old news!)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

If I ever got married I planned on doing it in the forest or deep in the woods somewhere.
    CLose to a creek and a big enough clearing to have some chairs set up for guests and music provided by a few violinists.
    We would have the rose petals strewn around us in the circle and do the union candle lighting.
    I think the broom jump would be a nice additive that I didnt think of before.

I'd like to have candles lite up the isle for walking down and flowers placed here and there but the woods itslef as the 'decor'

Advertisement