Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 15" TFT

• 18-09-2003 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

A mate got a Dell 4600 with Geforce FX 5200 and a 15" TFT the other day. Set it up with the digital output from the card and all seems fine, except when you play games the video sequences don't play properly - they're all blotchy and blocky etc. Also the quality of in-game play leaves a lot to be desired.

The OS is XP home and the driver for the card is the standard XP driver. Now, I recognize it's not the greatest screen for playing games cos of the response time etc, but as I've never set up a TFT before I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers on how to optimise the interaction between monitor and card? At the moment it's definitely way below par...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

get new drivers is a must for the card a must i tells ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

a direct X uptate if neccasary and then a visit to nvidia.com will sort that out.

theres no antialiasing on the standard drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

found ou the response time is 35ms...

would this explain it? I'm gonna try the other suggestions too, but I'm beginning to think the response time of 35ms is just too bad - I heard 25 or so was needed for games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it's because you're probably playing the games at a resolution below the tft's native resolution, so u'll get two pixels on screen doubling up as one and things like that. Nothing you can do other than to play at the tft's resolution.

The response time is a different matter completely to image quality, and all it will mean is a slight ghosting on screen.

Dell's 15" native res is 1280x1024 @ 75hz if they're the standard ones, so try that. Also make sure hardware acceleration is at full in the graphics driver options AND get the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Killah_B
    found ou the response time is 35ms...

would this explain it? I'm gonna try the other suggestions too, but I'm beginning to think the response time of 35ms is just too bad - I heard 25 or so was needed for games...
    35ms is perfectly fine for games. Unless you stick a 25ms screen beside it, you won't really notice the difference. Games look as good on my 35ms TFT as they do on my old CRT. It sounds more like a gfx card/drivers problem to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

mmm 16ms goodness ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

16ms eh *yawn*

SUPER LARGE TRINITRONS :>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by Giblet
    16ms eh *yawn*

SUPER LARGE TRINITRONS :>

ah huh, all 21inches!

Advertisement