Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem connections

Options
  • 18-09-2003 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I notice when I start downloading a file on the internet from my 56k modem that the speed starts off at 25k.... sometimes....

then it starts downloading the file really quickly but gradually this goes down to 15 and then 11....then it stays at around 8 for a few minutes at then goes down to around 5.

Why can't modems maintain this high speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

This is really just windoze and InternetExplorer playing tricks with you.

Your modem isnt actually getting 25k/sec... Thats impossible
    25KB(ytes)/sec = 200Kb(its)/sec

Max a modem can do is just under 7K(bytes)/sec.. The reason you get such high download rates is that from the time you click Save As IE is going trying to be clever and caching the start of the file it expects you to download. So that means when the "Downloading" dialog box opens it gives a false reading to begin with and then balances..

The 5K/sec that it ends up at is more likely to be the actual speed your modem is able to download at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Another reason for this could be caused by a software modem.

AFAIK
    Software modems connect at X speed. As the noise on the line increases during your connected time the modem lowers its speed to compensate for this. A software modem is unable to renegociate the speed to get it back up. So the longer you are connected the slower your connection seems to get. With a hardware modem however it is possible to do this so you will not notice this speed decrease with better quality modems.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Advertisement