Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Story of your relationship

• 18-09-2003 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok people Im confused here. I cant get a girlfriend no matter what I try. Perhaps I'm looking at the signs wrong, or I'm just a tool. Either way, so I know what to look for, tell me everything from when you first met your girlfriend.

- How you first talked to her
    - How you found out if she was with someone
    - How long it was before you asked her out
    - How did you ask her out
    - Where did you take her
    - How did you find out she liked you
    - How things went from talking to being physical
    - Anything else you care to tell me

20 questions I know, but at 20 myself I've had enough of being single. icon13.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

This is going back to my first proper 'girlfriend'. The one's since her have been pretty crap, in all honesty.

She made the first move. She was expecting me to show up at a work function, but I hadn't even met her at this stage. When I didn't turn up, she asked a friend of mine where I was. The following monday he told me that she was asking for me. Although I didn't even know what she looked like, I took the plunge, got her email addy from him and sent her an email. We had a date that friday. T'was a great night.....Mother Redcaps in Christchurch, if I remember correctly.

Hmmmm, good point, I never checked this out. But my mate told me that she sounded interested in me, so I thought 'what the hey' and went for it. I know assumption is the mother of all fcukups, but what can you do?!?!?!

About 2 days I think...

Met her and a friend in the canteen at work for a coffee and just asked. No problems.

- Where did you take her
    See the first question. Met at Clerys and went straight there to Ma Redcaps and spent a few hours there having a great laugh.

Again, see the first question. But if you're talking about during the date itself.....I think it was the proximity of her to me on the couch, the teasing and joking, the flirting and eventually the kissing.

Heh heh, I love this one!!! We slept together on the night of the first date. I honestly didn't expect it to happen, but it did.

Yeah, the sex was great :D But seriously, you can't just rush into getting a girlfriend. I used to have that sort of misconception too, that if you went for a drink with a girl that you were automatically 'going out'. Takes time, sailor, it takes time. Here's some erm....tips....if you like:

1. Check your standards. Its kinda like buying a motorcycle really - you have to start with the basic model and then after a while you can get a hotter, faster model. Unless you're casanova, don't expect to snare a total minx straight away. Don't turn a girl down or overlook them just because they don't fit the archetype of your perfect woman. Get to 'know' women first.
    2. Depends on your situation, me ol' chum. I found it easier to get a date in work than in university (as unbelievable as it sounds!!!). But whichever one you're in - try to get a mate to lend a hand. Extra 10 points if you enlist the help of a girl to hook you up - they're miles ahead of the fella's on this one.
    3. Brush your teeth, clip your nails and smell nice. First impressions and all that!!!
    4. Girls are human too (well, most of 'em anyway :D). Talk to them like you'd talk to your sister or like you'd talk to any slightly effeminate mates you might have.
    5. Don't smother girls with everything about your life. Trickle it in. I've found that girls hate being drowned in every little nuance of your life.
    6. And finally....cut down on the bishop-bashing. After a week or two of no monkey-abusing, you'll probably be more forward with women and take opportunities you might have thrown away before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

One of the very few women in my life that I actually asked out. An ex.

I saw her waiting in the departure gate at London. Waiting to give her seat ticket to the stewardess. I was quite struck by the difference in her - the height of her, the shock of blonde short hair and beautiful face and smile. I thought "Bloody hell what'll I do if I sit next to her!". I sat next to her. I'm such a chicken and didn't make a move, maybe she made the first move and it's her that initiated it. She seemed interested in my game boy and I asked her if she wanted to play it. (I was 19 or so, yes I had a gameboy at 19 how sad!). I guess that broke the verbal barrier.
    She was moving to Glasgow to be an au pair so I presumed she had no boyfriend, but I may have asked her who was picking her up from the airport.
    I asked her there and then if she wanted to meet up for a show of the sights around Glasgow.
    Sorry, answered that. hehe
    - Where did you take her
    Around Glasgow, maybe popped in to a pub for a couple of drinks, can't remember.
    I felt it to be obvious, and I wanted it so that's half the battle!
    Don't remember. Eek that's a bad sign.
    Yes, that was only eight questions.

If you want something terribly - it is not impossible, just terribly difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I met her and her friend in the local shopping center. I knew her friend and I was looking for a B'day gift for someone so I asked them to help out. They had quite a bit of fun with it and it broke the ice pretty much.
    Also we were rehearsing for King Lear at the time (the three of us were in it) which was a couple of times a week so I got to see quite a bit of her.

Some of the other guys were interested in her aswell (turned them down tho. HaHa! :D) and there was some asking out going on so I came to the conclusion she was single.

Never actually said the words. We just reached an understanding really.
    But from the time I first met her to the time we got together I think it was 6 months ish (there was a lot going on for me at this time so it didn't seem so long)

After we had done King Lear I was acting in another play written by a friend of hers and she was a stage hand .... more time in close proximity. After that play we all went out for a meal and I sat across from her. We talked all night (friend of mine actually called me into the bathroom to tell me she liked me and would we get together, but I had broken up with someone the day before :eek: so I was non-commital).
    Near the end of the night I mentioned her lovely hands (No, there was no inuendo there!) and I took her hand in mine.
    Another girl interupted "Oh! Is there something going on here?!?"
    We drew back in embarrasment. When interupty girl went again it took a few minutes to draw in to that closeness again but we took that time :) Interupty girl returned again and once again intoned, "Oh! Is there something going on here?!?". She was annoying me at this point with her attempts to glean some gossip that we didn't want let out, so I bluntly said (while looking into girfriends eyes) "Yes!". Interupty girl replied "Oh!" and moved off. Girlfriend smiled sheepishly and that was it.
    You could say that I took as my girlfriend rather than asked her but I think saying it as I did was a show of strenght that drew her into me more.
    It seems that women like men who are manly (And that was probably one of my very few manly moments!)

- Where did you take her
    I met her in a coffee shop the next day. Some of her friends were there so I was a bit out of place but I had gotten to know them over the last while.
    We were in a bit of a tentative position though because neither of us were really sure what the other thought of the night before.
    So once again I went out on a limb and took her hand. When she smiled I knew that I had done just what she wanted and we both relaxed into the situation more.
    After that I walked her to her Mums office where she was getting a lift home.

Guess work! You can never be sure, but the taking of a risk can sometime make a guy more attractive to the girl in question IMO.

I walked her to her Mums office as I said and said goodbye with a kiss. This also introduced me to here Mum who stopped beside us in mid passionate kiss. :eek:
    Anything 'physical' further than that took time. We didn't rush it.

The age old advice of ... Be Yourself!
    If you're pretending to be someone else when with a girl and you end up together then you're probably going to have to keep up that pretense to keep her (unless she's more openminded and can accept a change in you).

As said before these things take time so try and let a relationship develope rather than create one in a day or two.

Lastly, this is probably the most difficult thing you could do but,
    STOP LOOKING FOR A RELATIONSHIP!!! It will happen in it's own due time. Also you won't find relationships in places like pubs and such. These are the places where it'll grow but not where you'll find it.
    If you want a relationship that won't be over in two weeks then you'd want to find someone with a common interest so there can be something more than just mindless babble. To do this you would be best off pursuing things that interest you and if you meet someone there it's most likely going to be a heathier relationship.
    That said don't treat evey female you come in contact with as a potential love interest, treat them as a friend. There's nothing wrong with flirting but if you come on where it's not wanted it can drive a wedge between you as people, let alone a couple.
    another reason to take it slow :)

I'm 21 now. I'll be 22 in December. I first met my girlfriend in November of my 16th year and we started going out in May of my 17th year. You do the calculations. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Grew up together so no real work involved :)

She fancied me - i didnt fancy her
    I fancied her - she didnt fancy me

We had a real "Friends" thing going but it all worked out in the end.

Abit of advice if you want a girlfriend - Don't look for one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Met her at her brother's (a friend for some time)"Leaving cert results BBQ". Seemed like a nice person, got on well together, became friends.

She made reference to an ex she once had in a conversation.

About a year or two. We were good friends, and anything beyond that really hadn't occurred to me.

She ended up in the same college as me, and we ended up spending quite a bit of time together which we both seemed to really enjoy, so one day I just said "Hey, I like you a lot.", to which she replied "I like you a lot too. Shall we go out with eachother?"

- Where did you take her
    The floodgates of the river Corrib, just after heavy rain. It's a nice spot. Went to a pub after that, I think.

She told me after I told her.

*shrugs*
    Just happened. It was all mutual respect and stuff. Whatever we were comfortable with at the time.

Don't go actively searching for a girlfriend. You'll be disappointed, unless you're a shallow person or just looking for a one night stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

1- How you first talked to her
    When i was a bit younger i used to work in a nightclub
    And here best friend worked with me, and dragged here to our staff party but i was to pissed to realise her there.

2-How you found out if she was with someone
    Her best friend worked in the same place as me,she was out oe night and her fella was with her.

3-How long it was before you asked her out
    Then she started to come to the place were i worked 2-3 times a week,when i finished work on the thurday night i went over to have a chat witht the Dj who was a close friend, she cameover we started talking i went back to her house and we sat talking for most of the night.

4-How did you ask her out
    I was the next day when i woke up i asked her if she wanted to do something during the week she said yes.

5-Where did you take her
    I brought her out to this restaurant in bray on the seafront called The Three of Idleness, very nice restaurant and very pricy

6-How did you find out she liked you
    She told me that she gets butterfly everytime she comes down the hill to my house, and her friend told me:p

7- How things went from talking to being physical
    Within two weeks i just happened did not plan it just happend she was a cracker of a ride

8-Anything else you care to tell me
    Yep when you don't have a Gf you don't get any offers or very few, when you have a Gf the birds throw there selves at you typical:rolleyes: don't look for them they will find you;) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

One piece of advice my friend....

If you really do desperately WANT a girlfriend whatever you do don't go looking for one for fak's sake! It's an unwritten rule that you'll usually meet "a potential girlfriend or girlfriend" if you just don't bother your arse ***... Likewise if your heading for a night out with some serious intentions of pulling a few chicks - the only person your gonna be pulling is yourself by the end of the night (if you're not too fuked that is!) :D

Just go with the flow and go out to have a laugh and the rest will follow, whether it's pure lusty sex or something more it generally can't be forced, it just happens.

Simple as that (unless your a Mr Colin Farrell of course! The jammy bastard!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

3am in Tramco. She was sitting at the next table wit friends of people i kinda knew. I clenched my jaw and just walked up and asked her name and made small talk about college etc (****enkittens!!)

Got a girl i know who knew one of her mates to see what the story was

Got her phone number that night (didnt even try to snog her - went for the 'niceguy' approach!) texted her the day after the next about going for a drink

txt- the easy way though i think a nice confident phone call wud be the ideal!

- Where did you take her
    Dun Laoighre- Thursday, quiet drink in the cool 40ft bar, walk on the pier- BEST 1ST DATE EVERRRRR!

cause she didnt leg it when i start talkin to her

mind your own business!!!

the best advice i can give is go to loadsa clubs and really try not to care about being rejected! Just accept that its gonna happen- you will get rejected loads but not always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

i know its been said before, but let me re-enforce....stop trying!!!

and in the wise words of sinister pete -get a hobby;)

(feel the logic: you like martial arts, start going to a class, girls you meet at the class will have at least one common intrest, something to talk about is no longer a problem!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Sposs

Abit of advice if you want a girlfriend - Don't look for one :)

So true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

hmm...tempted to answer all those questions but it wouldn't really help (side note -someone put those questions on after hours)
    definately siding with sposs on this one..i've never gotten anybody by going out looking, you just have to wait for someone to come along

whether or not you find someone (nice) depends entirely on circumstance & luck...everything else is a bonus
    ...thats my take on it anyway

so, good luck (and good circumstance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm a chick so obviously its not quite the same but it will give you the female perspective......

- How you first talked to him
    I lived in Cork, so did he.... he was seeing a mate of mine at the time and I was quare shy and also I was with someone else. I might have said hey a few times but that was it..... many months later...... I was at a partay in Carlow.... I was langered..... he pounced...... and here we are a year later!!!!

- How you found out if he was with someone
    There had been some controversy over that as he had been with a different chick... she had turned him down before he got with me..... I had no clue.... but it all sorted itself out.

- How long it was before you asked him out
    That was a mutual decision reached on the phone about two motnhs after our first initial meeting.....

- How did you ask him out
    See above

- Where did you take him
    We just went drinking in Temple Bar

- How did you find out he liked you
    He told me. I told him back.

Alcohol and desire, mainly.

Women can sense desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Originally posted by embee

Women can sense desperation.
    AND WE WILL RUN AWAY!

this is probably the most useful thing anyone has told you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The look in a desperate mans eyes is a sight to behold lol..... frustration, incomprehension, panic.... itll make any woman about turn and march swiftly off.

Also - stop actively looking. Tends to be the case you meet someone when you arent particularly bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Just top reiterate some very important points made by my esteemed fellow replies:
    1) Stop looking, sounds stupid, I used to mutter under my breath aswell when eversome one said it when I was single.

2) Be yourself.

3) Women can sense despiration, deceptions and lies. Don't **** with a woman, you will lose.

Now for mine:

1) Always remember how special they are. Don't become complacent

2) Don't make complex plans, let things happen naturally.

3) Romance, its not for everyone, but if your romantic keep going, there are women who adore it.
    I told her women couldn't touch their shoulders against one each other behind there backs, she tried. I got everyone else to look.[Think about it!] She hated me for it.

Asked her. Casual chatting.

A month, but we were seeing each other for 3 weeks before that. Asked her out the day she broke up with her boyfriend [yes, I'm a bastard]

"Sweetie, will you make me the happiest man in the world?"

- Where did you take her
    First time we meet was in Stephans Green, but brought her and her friends up to Iveagh Gardens, met there the next day. Both just had a feeling the other would be there. First "date" was at Kaffe Moka

She went to kiss me the second day, I ran up behind her, she was surprized and went to kiss me automatically, but I pulled back [I know, stupid me!]. Asked her that day about the almost kiss.

I was meant to leave the country, she met me two days before I was to leave, we went to a park and I kissed. It was a beautiful day, there were Magpies walking as an honour guard around us, Swan flew over head as we kissed under the dome. Then it started to rain and everyone left the park except us. As for sex, I ain't telling.

I love her so much, I can't believe it sometimes. I dream of her all day, I cherish every minute with her. She came out of no-where and turned my life upside down.

It will happen, to you someday. Just let it, don't push it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

1) Always remember how special they are. Don't become complacent

O yus, very good point!
    2) Don't make complex plans, let things happen naturally.
    Even the best made plans of mice and men go astray. :D

3) Romance, its not for everyone, but if your romantic keep going, there are women who adore it.
    your not being romantic to get something out of it. your doing it cause you believe they will appreciate it and feel special, just like point number 1.
    as much of a paradox as that is :D but you know what i mean.

Yes, often you find that you will find a woman when your not looking. simply cause your more relaxed and just being yourself, which is what they want, not some act that will change about 4-6 months down the road.
    i would guess :D

When the oportunity arises to spring a surprise, do it. the unknown is the most fun. Par example, If your out with her, and she goes off to do whatever (Toilet,Look at clothes,ATM) get her a flower or something just to let her know that you were thinking about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

your not being romantic to get something out of it. your doing it cause you believe they will appreciate it and feel special, just like point number 1.
    as much of a paradox as that is but you know what i mean

I didn't mean it to seem that way. I meant if your romantic, don't give up on your romanctic side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

i know.
    i was just pointing it out for people who may get the wrong impression. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have posted this unregistered to protect the feelings of her ex-boyfriend in case he reads this. He still doesn't know that I was the reason she broke up with him. She told him about us a while later.

I was introduced to her by a friend of a friend. Turned out she already knew me by sight.

I didn't find out for a while that she was with someone. It hadn't crossed my mind that she might be because of how weel we got on. She slipped in into conversation in quite an obvious way. Most guys would have taken it as a sign to back off but I liked her too much by then.

About a month from meeting to asking out.

I told her how I felt and we kissed. She was still with her boyfriend so I told her the next day that if she wanted to stay with him I wouldn't say anything to anyone about us. She picked me instead though.

- Where did you take her

Everywhere.

I thought she did but wasn't sure. So I just opened my big mouth and took a chance. She told me how she felt then.

Suddenly I've got that "Let's Get Physical" song in my head. Groovy.

Like others I wasn't expecting to meet someone like her. I was just going for a pint and to see a gig and she walked in the door. To be horribly silly I was taken by her the first time I laid eyes on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Confusticated
    Ok people Im confused here. I cant get a girlfriend no matter what I try. Perhaps I'm looking at the signs wrong, or I'm just a tool. Either way, so I know what to look for, tell me everything from when you first met your girlfriend.

- Where did you take her

20 questions I know, but at 20 myself I've had enough of being single. icon13.gif

listen, the only thing that is wrong is your ability to talk to a girl.
    you dont need chat up lines, you dont need to follow other peoples ideas or past experiences.

all you need to do is to talk to someone.

if you have trouble with actually talking to someone, then chat to someone who is in your group, or with someone you know. all you need then is a big list of things to talk about and youre away on a hack.
    after a while you wont need your list of things to talk about because she will ask you stuff and you will have a conversation and it will all go from there.
    as someone said, people can tell if youre desperate. blokes love it coz they get a shag, girls dont because it makes blokes look pathetic, girls just look horny :)

so have a list of some interesting stuff that you can use to talk small talk about, and if the opportunity presents, then talk. girls like being talked to. hey, i bet youd like it if someone good looking started to chat to you, girls are exactly the same.
    whatever you would like, chances are, so will they.
    theres no big secret.
    theres no sure fire way. you just have to be in the right place at the right time and just be a little bit confident. be able to talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

the more stressed you are about getting a girlfriend the more unlikely it is that you'll find one.

I met my bloke when I least expected it. It's always the night when your friends dragged you out and you didn't want to go, but you went anyway, and you hadn't bothered to shave your legs cos you just knew you wouldn't score anyway. And you had bridget jones pants on too, you know the scene!

lads who hang around in large groups of lads are offputting for women, well for me anyway. Also if you are approaching girls for a chat or a dance or whatever, try not to be too drunk.

Advertisement