Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Top 5 Pay Per Views?

• 19-09-2003 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I've been collecting WWF/E Videos and DVD's for the last twelve years. I've amassed quite a collection and am quite proud of it. While sorting out the videos I decided to do a top 5 of my favourate ones.

5) Wrestlemania 16: This makes the list for a number of reasons. The Euro-continental match with Jericho, Angle and Benoit is probably the main reason for it. It put the fatal four-way main event to shame. The triangle table match (that took place before TLC 1 that year) was also another one. Jeff Hardy takes such a sick bump off the tall ladder (which is still shown on the "don't try this at home" commericals on the beginning of WWE videos and DVDs').

4) King Of The Ring 1993: The first ever televised King of The Ring tournament. Some of Bret Harts best work is on this tape. Especially the second round with Curt Hennig, which destroys their Summerslam 1991 match (because Hennig's back wasn't f**ked upt this time around) Also it's always great to see Hogan jobbing his way to WCW.

3) Wrestlemania X7: How anyone can NOT like this PPV is anyones guess. The McMahon Street Fight where Shane nails Vince from one turnbuckle to the other with the dustbin, just HAS to be seen. Rock V Austin 2, their best ever wrestlemania match with an ending that was just pure gold! TLC 2 was improved over the original, which I thought couldn't be done and the most comical Gimmick Battle Royal.

2) Survivor Series 88: I would have loved to catch the live feed of this as the video is clipped to bits with the exception of the first and last matches. Ten man a team tag team elimination match that made history (I'm talking about the Demolition and Powers Of Pain double turn), the only Pay Per View that has an opening match that lasted over 40 minutes! But it's the 40 minutes that made the entire show.

1) Wrestlemania III: For a number of reasons this is my fave, as It was the first PPV to be broadcasted live on Sky in 87 (six months after Ireland got the channel). All that was talked about in school was who'd win between Hogan and Andre. The match wasn't the greatest but the Savage V Steamboat match for the IC title was amazing. Savage was really coming into his own around that time. Also the Harts/Davis V Bulldogs/Santana is also worth looking at.

So what are yours, and why?
    Nero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Well,thats a hard one!!!!

Ive seen a heck of alot of ppv's,and have recorded all from Summerslam'01 to,like 3 months ago,when my ma decided to get rid of Sky. But my favourite,the one ive had for 10 years now and watched quite a few times is Wrestlemania VIII. Its great!!!!

You got Bret hart vs. Roddy Piper,
    Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage(which i requested on excess before,and it got shown!!!)
    and Hulk Hogan vs Sid Vicious(with return of the Warrior) I just loved it so much,and a great show.

But i can't think of 4 others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Good pick, as far as the final card was concerned. The mad thing about that PPV is the card was shifted around so many times.

Original main event was meant to be Hogan V Flair, but with Hogan ready to take off for a while to shoot Mr Nanny, it was pointless in having Flair put him over, and he sure as hell wasn't gonna do the job. So it was changed to Hogan V Sid (as Sid was on his way out anyway) and Savage V Flair.

It worked out for the better and Piper V Hart was a classic.

The Tag Team title match was messed about a bit as well. It was meant to be LOD Vs Natural Disasters, but Hawk being the ageing old giffer, did his back in. So they dropped the belts at a house show to Money Inc and turned the Natural Disasters face to make the match at Wrestlemania.

Finally In the 8 man tag team, the New Foundation were meant to be on the face side. But Neidhart found himself receiving his walking papers one week after the match was announced. So Duggan and Slaughter took their place and Owen Hart made his debut at a Wrestlemania without the mask against Skinner.

And Finally, It was also rumoured that The Ultimate Warriors return was played by none other than Kerry Von Erich at Wrestlemania 8. Apparently Helwig missed it and WWF at the time paid Von Erich for a once off appearance (as he had actually been fired prior to the event). I read this somewhere but cannot find this to back it up. Upon close examination of the tape, He does seem to be a lot more trim than Helwig, bodywise.

Another site claimed that it was actually Helwig but had trimmed down a bit because he had come off the steriods et al, and then decided to wear a body suit to hide it just before Summerslam that year. Some food for thought.

Makes you wonder if that sort of sh|t happened this year, would Wrestlemania XIX have been ten times the PPV it could have been? ;)

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cmb.

how can anyone leave out in your house 16: canadian stampede off of a wwe best of ppv list?

After watching over Canadian Stampede again, a two hour PPV with four matches is not exactly what I call classic mate ;)

Granted the main event (a glorified 5 man survivor series tag match held in Canada, we knew which team was gonna win, straight off the bat), tore down the house, but in home territory, that was expected.

50 minutes of matches and 70 minutes of filler and buildups? Now you know why this PPV is not, and never will be on my list :)

Nero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Well, i think it is warrior. Besides,i was an absolute mega warrior fan,and it certainly was him.

Did you see the little press conference before the Hogan-Sid match,where it was supposed to be Hogan fighting Flair,and Sid stood up thinking that it was him they were calling?

Then neither of them were fighting flair in the end,but they made a good angle out of it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the vast majority feel it was Jim Helwig.

Yeah, the press conference was a bit of a joke that year. But I'm glad the events worked out the way they did. Although at the time I'd never have thought we'd see Hogan V Flair.

Thankfully it happened in WCW two years later.
    Nero

Advertisement