Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Who's Gonna Win The CL ?

• 19-09-2003 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I know it's a bit early doors to be talking about winners but hey whatever.

I'm going for Juventus mainly because they've probably been the most consistent side since the Champions League began. Hey what about United, Bayern or Real you say...

[edit]If anyone not on that list actually wins the thing, I'll burn my Liverpool jersey![/edit]

Who will win the Champs League ? 44 votes

Real Madrid
    0% 0 votes
    AC Milan
    25% 11 votes
    Inter Milan
    15% 7 votes
    Juventus
    6% 3 votes
    Bayern Munich
    18% 8 votes
    Man United
    2% 1 vote
    Arsenal
    31% 14 votes
    Chelski
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hate to say it, United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Nah utd wont win it they will get a hiding from madrid and they havnt bought players to immediately replace beckham and veron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Real to go all the way, I just love watching them play and hope that they go as far as the finals anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

United for me.

If not it will be one of the Italian teams as Real dont have the defence to win it.

Real will win it if they dont come up against juve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Wheres the option for celtic? :p

I agree with T4TF in that i could never bore of watching real madrid play, i hope they win it. Or atleast get to the final as you said, always enjoyable football watching them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Real or Utd IF they dont have to play an Italian team in the knockouts, I cant see anyone beating the Italians only each other, they too damn good at the back.

Think Italians are back with a vengence and will have 3 teams in semis.
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Nah utd wont win it they will get a hiding from madrid and they havnt bought players to immediately replace beckham and veron

we didnt get a hiding last year!!! as for beckham and veron, beckham was replaced with our new superkid ronaldo and veron was kept out of the team by scholes so why replace him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

utd, i hope. ac milan are the holders and have a very strong squad. madrid are the best footballers in the world and deserve to win. however the italians might roll them over again and the pressure is immense on madrid.

i predict a manu-madrid final. madrid to nick it although what utd would do to win that trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I cant see anyone beating the Italians only each other, they too damn good at the back.

Any United fan afraid of Juve? I think Not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if any non-italian side could beat italians its utd. they have the right mixture of defense and attack along with bags of experience.

i'd much rather playing against any italian side than madrid as a utd fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Even after a poor showing against celtic i still think Bayern can win it. Roy Makaay will be brilliant this season. I think Real are slightly suspect at the back especially with carlos and salgado bombing forward every few minutes, they will really miss Makelele once the knock-out phases start. Utd have a chance if Ruud stays fit but they just lack that cutting edge in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by smemon
    madrid are the best footballers in the world and deserve to win.

Madrid may be (arguably) the most talented team in the world, but why does that mean they "deserve" to win it? They don't deserve to win it any more than all the other teams in the CL, from Milan to... Sparta Prague.

I'll go with Milan again... but I feel they're gonna put a lot of effort into the league this season, which might affect their CL performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I predict the Semi finalists to be Milan Internazionale Manutd and Realmadrid. The title winner will be the winner of the semi final between Real Madrid and ManU. Arsenal will be lucky to make it past the Final 16. Juve will only be able to get past the quarters with a bit of luck. Ajax have lost two of their best players in Van Der Meyde and Chivu. As a fan of theirs i hate to admit but quite frankly i cant see them getting past the group stage.Chelsea havnt been in the competition long enough to make an impact. They`ll do well against the smaller teams but they`ll crack when it comes to the big guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

My heart says Man Utd, but the rest of me is screaming AC Milan, but only if Schevchenko [sp] stays fit and Gatuso stops getting sent off!!

I agree with all that has been said about Real Madrid .... they are without doubt one of the most entertaining teams in the world to watch [including Becks], but they are far to suspect at the back .... they should have replaced Hierro before the deadline & as seen against Marseille, they'll have to hope they can score a bucket load each match, because they'll conceed a lot too!!

I can't see Chelsea doing it [please please please don't let them win anything, 'cause it'll have me in bankruptcy [sp?] court :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .... memo to self, don't bet against any1 ever again :D]!!

Arsenal :rolleyes: .... I've no more to say on their chances!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

I doubt Man UTD will do it, and my money is on AC milan, I mean look at their squad and facilities! They have the best squad out of all the teams in the champions league, without question - and with goalscorers like Schevchenko and co. around, how can they really not win again? They are a super team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

When was the last time a team won the European Cup twice in a row ??? There's no way AC Milan will win it again...ooh it was them, back in '89 and '90...might be worth a bet.

It'll be a Milan v Juve final

Come on Milan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I am a Man United Fan and I'd love to see them win it again, but I'd much much rather watch them play Real Madrid again, that was the best match i've ever watched in my life, cept maybe the champions league final a couple of years ago :D

I can't see Arsenal taking on the big guns, as Arsenal are too single minded.

I think AC Milan are gona win it again, unless Real Madrid get their defense in order, or Man United suprise me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

You have to fancy some of the Italian sides, not to pretty to watch sometimes but they get the results.

I still dont think the English clubs are better than the rest of the CL, maybe next year. Real Madrid are the best technically but sometimes lack that fighting spirt to win a 50/50 match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Has to be one of the Italians again. Madrid look even less sure of themselves than last season and Man United (against Panathanikos) were made to look far better outfit than they actually are. The first half performance of Bayern Munich v Celtic should be enough to convince anyone that they don't have a chance this year.

Yep, Italy all the way this year.

Ah, so one bad bayern match means they wont win it, yet one manU man win means they, em, wont win it? You confuse me... Bayern have a supper squad, as do United (Keep in mind I am an arsenal supporter) but I dont think either have that extra something that won Real titles in the last 5 years in champs league. Milan are still my tipped team...

Is everybody that voted for Man U a Man U fan ? Just wondering why they're winning...

They wont win it they might be good enough to win the premiership but they simply lake the quality to succeed in the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

All it takes is a little luck for any of perhaps the top 4 Real, ManU, Juve, Milan to get ahead of each other. All I know is its gona be good football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

If i had a tenner (and i do) id stick it on Inter. Think they got a good chance this year and have always had a soft spot for them.

Would love Man u to do it but dont think they will. Quarters or so :(

I cant believe there is so little votes for Milan. Look at their squad? and they didn't do a stupid thing and go and sell all their good players for loadsa money (cus noone but Chelski have money). I believe the arsenal 0% is quite accurate, I think they should go for 3rd place and settle for a semi-final in the uefa cup or something. Real Madrid, can they even stick out the season in la liga? nevermind CL.

Ac milan were jammy last year they didnt win the last four matches to win it last year so it looks very unlikely they will win it this year hectr cuper is a master at two legged ties and the new format will suit him i think juve could be a god bet hoping del piero stays fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    If i had a tenner (and i do) id stick it on Inter.
    They would be my favourites at the moment too.

By the way - if Chelsea were to win it would they be considered dark horses or do they have as good a chance as anyone?

• Advertisement

Id say they have as good a chance as anyone if they gell they have a load of continental players at the club who have lived in the champions league for years

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Id say they have as good a chance as anyone if they gell they have a load of continental players at the club who have lived in the champions league for years
    I totally agree, was just looking for other (non Chelsea supporting:D) opinions.

dont think chelski have the defencce yet but January is,nt that far away so who Knows. O
    Obviously would love Utd to do it but i cant see the current team doing better than last years .

Inter look good to me too.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    dont think chelski have the defencce yet but January is,nt that far away so who Knows. O
    Obviously would love Utd to do it but i cant see the current team doing better than last years .
    Inter look good to me too.
    Chelsea had the best defence in england last season, have maintained all those defenders (except that guy who reads the posh newspapers) and gained a few pretty good defenders.

Don't see defence as a problem once they've gelled which they should have if and when they get past the first round.

Chelsea had the best defence in england last season,

Its just my opinion pete. I dont english teams defends in a way that will bring the sucess in Europe. It is more down to the style of football they play than the players themself. I agree Chelsea have good defenders Terry in particular is excellent but as the Gunners found out last week when playing against the Top Europen Teams They are not Good Enough.

(considering what has gone on here this week i that is not a dig at arsenal just the facts as i see them and considering UTD' performance over the past season the same will more than likely apply to them when they meet the top teams.)

Nah it's not a big dig at Arsenal. They are able to seem very attacking in England with their full backs going forward to help out. Go into Europe and this leaves them exposed in the corners for better players to run into and then they're just a cross into the box away from a goal.

Arsenal however haven't come close to having the best defense in the league either, Chelsea have that. So if it is a matter of English teams in general not being sound defensively then Chelsea are surely the best of a bad bunch.

Also their midfield and forward is a class act all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

anyone know the odds on Chelsea??

Anything better than 6 or 7 to 1 has to be worth a few quid they had the dept in there squad to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

none of the people tipping madrid seem to have mentioned that without Makele they are seriously lacking in midfield and not just defense. I cant see them winning beating well marshalled teams.

As pie said, milan seem to be concentrating on the league so Inter might be an interesting bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

Real Madrid ---> too weak at the back, playing with 11 strikers is not enough to win the CL, but I admit that I love watching them playing

AC Milan ----> I hate them, I don't want to imagine them winning again

Inter Milan ----> they haven't won the Italian league for the last 15 years and they will put a lot of effort in it (but they will arrive 2nd, as usual).... no way they are going to win the CL, is this a joke??

Juventus ----> hey, that's my team. Very strong at the back and midfield (although Davids is going through a bad period), the problem could arise if the striker (Trezeguet) get injured as there is not a valid replacement.

Bayern Munich ----> last year they killed the Bundesliga and I think they will get at least as far as the semifinal

Man United
    > it all depends who they are going to play against... being a Juve supporter I have to say that Man. Utd. always kicked our ass in the last few years and I wouldnt love to play against them...

Arsenal ----> will they go through the first round??

Chelsea
    > this could be the big surprise of the CL..... I have no idea how far they can get....

I don't see Lazio and Deportivo La Coruna listed, I believe they are among the strongest team in Europe at the moment......

Originally posted by DUX
    Real Madrid ---> too weak at the back, playing with 11 strikers is not enough to win the CL, but I admit that I love watching them playing
    AC Milan ----> I hate them, I don't want to imagine them winning again
    Inter Milan ----> they haven't won the Italian league for the last 15 years and they will put a lot of effort in it (but they will arrive 2nd, as usual).... no way they are going to win the CL, is this a joke??
    Juventus ----> hey, that's my team. Very strong at the back and midfield (although Davids is going through a bad period), the problem could arise if the striker (Trezeguet) get injured as there is not a valid replacement.
    Bayern Munich ----> last year they killed the Bundesliga and I think they will get at least as far as the semifinal
    Man United

> it all depends who they are going to play against... being a Juve supporter I have to say that Man. Utd. always kicked our ass in the last few years and I wouldnt love to play against them...
    Arsenal ----> will they go through the first round??
    Chelsea
    > this could be the big surprise of the CL..... I have no idea how far they can get....
    I don't see Lazio and Deportivo La Coruna listed, I believe they are among the strongest team in Europe at the moment......
    What about rangers?

This are the latest odds on Paddypower

Real Madrid 4 - 1 Monaco 66 - 1

Man Utd 11 - 2 VfB Stuttgart 80 - 1

Bayern Munich 7 - 1 Marseille 80 - 1

Juventus 9 - 1 PSV Eindhoven 80 - 1

AC Milan 10 - 1 Galatasaray 80 - 1

Inter Milan 10 - 1 Rangers 80 - 1

Chelsea 10 - 1 Olympiakos 100 - 1

Arsenal 18 - 1 AEK Athens 100 - 1

Deportivo La Coruna 20 - 1 Dynamo Kiev 100 - 1

Lazio 22 - 1 Anderlecht 125 - 1

Real Sociedad 33 - 1 Panathanaikos 150 - 1

Porto 40 - 1 Club Brugge 150 - 1

Celta Vigo 40 - 1 Besiktas 200 - 1

Lyon 40 - 1 Lokomotiv Moscow 250 - 1

Ajax Amsterdam 50 - 1 Partizan Belgrade 250 - 1

Celtic 66 - 1 Sparta Prague 300 - 1

• Advertisement

How are Ajax all the way back there? Behind Lyon??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by p.pete
    What about rangers?

Ya what about them?? will they even get into the second round??

Chelsea 10-1 that has to be worth 20euro

Wowzers, the 8 teams I put into the poll just happen to be the top 8 in paddy powers list...genius or what ?!
    Originally posted by DUX
    Are you mad ?! What exactly are you basing your beliefs on ???

Would you believe that only 2 months ago Chelsea was given 25-1 and if I recall correctly in June just after the Premiership finished was given something like 40-1
    Infact all the big stars like Veron, Mutu, Crespo and all the others were bought just before starting the Premiership 2003/2004

Even at 10-1 Chelski are definitely worth throwing a bet on, I'd say those odds will be shortening pretty sharpish.

Yeah, but can Chelski do it?

Originally posted by Eron
    Yeah, but can Chelski do it?
    10 - 1 says they can't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

Its goto Be Real I cant see Man.Utd Beating Real or Barca and *** Chelsea would whoop there ass even worse

Advertisement