Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapwave Zodiac

Options
  • 19-09-2003 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

here's the first hands on review i've come across of the Tapwave Zodiac (it's a multimedia and gaming device based around the Palm OS):
    http://forums.pdabuzz.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48076

looks interesting, and some impressive specs including:

Moto i.MX1 processor 200MHz
    ATI Imageon W4200 graphics accelerator
    3.8" transflective (i.e. performs well indoors/outdoors) display
    Yamaha Audio with stereo speakers
    Dual SD/MMC (externally accessable) expansion slots (one supporting SDIO for peripherials and I/O cards)
    Bluetooth built in
    32MB or 128MB internal memory
    Palm OS 5.2
    and loads more...

looks like a nice device, especially for anyone in the market for a high end Palm OS device who's into gaming, it's pretty competitive (against other high end Palm OS devices) with a launch price of $300 for the 32MB version, $400 for the 128MB version (including cradle)

they have a few gaming titles announced and they say more are to be added

BrianG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

c|net news.com have a video interview with the device

Tapwave Zodiac: Mobile gaming device sports Palm OS
    0925zodiac_v.gif

CNET's Brian Cooley gets an early look at Tapwave's new mobile gaming and entertainment device, the Zodiac. Two former Palm executives designed the gadget, which also features personal information management and multimedia applications

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

very impressive bit of kit. adverts are plastered all over ign.com's gameboy section :)

$400 for the top of the line Zodiac 2 is a bit steep though. fook all games out for it yet as well. be hard to see how it can compete with the inferior, cheaper gameboy advance on the gaming front.
    if i had loadsa dosh i'd certainly but one but alas i dont.

review of it at
    ign

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're not selling it anywhere outside of the USA (not even Canada) and won't be for the forseeable future. That's why I'm getting a GP32 instead. Pocket NES and PC emulation, here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

flubba's nes and pc engine emulators on the gba are very good. 100% speed and very good sound(honestly cant remember exactly what the nes sounded like but its good enough). the gp32 is going to be pretty scarce for the next few months as production has been stopped for the forseeable future as gamepark as up **** creek financially atmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

it's when you factor in the idea the device combines the likes of a PamOne T|3 (with enhanced specs) then the $400 price tag isn't so high

that's the deal with a converged device - some people want a multi-capable device will just have to wait and see how many that is to see if it is profitable....

there are 'game only' and 'pda only' devices out there for cheaper and focused better on their tasks - so someone can get two seperates, be happy with their choice and could walk away with change...

will be interesting to see how the likes of the Zodiac and N-Gage do over time...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by super_furry
    They're not selling it anywhere outside of the USA (not even Canada) and won't be for the forseeable future. That's why I'm getting a GP32 instead. Pocket NES and PC emulation, here I come.

You cant buy direct from the company true, but you can get them from resellers or ebay. Also, Tapwave.co.uk is almost ready to go.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Yeah, The Zodiac looks really cool! It retailing for $299 at Tapwaves's online store. I wonder will it be the next big thing.

Advertisement