Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Metal!!!

Options
  • 19-09-2003 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

enslaved.jpg

Anyone here a fan of the mighty nordic warriors ENSLAVED!?

Been a fan of these guys since 2001's "Monumention" album, then went from there. Recently got hold of some of their earlier albums, namely Frost (Their first) and Blodhemn. Their latest album "Below The Lights" released this year, I thought was quite possibly album of the year for me. I've still yet to get hold of "Maurdraum, Beyond The Within" but if I can find it, I'm grabbing it.

They're an amazing band, as silly as the idea of 'Viking Metal' is, they're a remarkably intelligent band with some brilliant songwriting abilities. They're very progressive, and use a lot of different time-signiatures, yet in a very song-orientated and constructive way, rather than simply using odd timings for the sake of saying "Hey, look what I can do!" Their songs are truly epic works, and a perfect example of this is the opening track from Below The Lights, A Fire Swept Clean The Earth.

I haven't had a chance to see them live yet but I mean to. I do however have their DVD, Live Retaliation and they ****ing rule! I think one of the main reasons I love the band is because they still kept that great sound, and that rawness that they always had, while constantly progressing and experimenting.

Anyway, that's my little praise of Enslaved, any other fans care to add to that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I love viking metal but i haven't checked them out yet.. I listen to amon amarth, mithotyn, einherjer (probably best viking metal band in the world), windir

Actually i have 1 enslaved mp3 ! it's called Storre Enn Tid Tyngre Enn Nat.. very long track

I'll be sure to check them out some more though ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh yes, I forgot all about Amon Amarth, and Einherjer. Brilliant bands indeed, still have to get hold of some Eirnerjer's albums, but got quite a few mp3s of theirs. www.mp3.com for all you losers out there.

Haven't heard Mithotyn, or Windir.

Ever listen to Finntroll yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Nope! Will check them out too for definite if they are viking metal - there aren't enough viking bands around..
    Einherjer are seriously cool.. one of my friends said 'Dragons of the North' was possibly 1 of the best cds he ever heard and he has a very broad taste in metal.. I can play the start of the second song (dream storm) on the guitar would love some tabs for that cd *** only have 1 for Storms of the Elder.

Btw if you listened to Dragons of the North the intro from the last song on it sounds very familiar (iron maiden, rhcp or something) I just can't place it! any idea?

Dunno, dont actually have the album.

Quite hard to get hold of, ***.
    I've tried.

Yeah, you should definetly check out Finntroll though, they're awesome. Very, odd... They even released an acoustic album recently. How's that for cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Any1 else have a worrying image in their head of Angelwhore charging at you with a 2handed axe in full studded leather + a viking helmet on? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I bought the eld album a few years back cos t'izer gave it rave reviews but I thought thought it was a boring pile cack

give me hammerheart anyday for viking metal

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

whats the deal with posing with swords, wheres the guitars!? or better yet they should have axes and swords stuck onto their guitars!

havnt a clue what theyre like ***, anything like Isengard? thats the only thing i can think of that would fit.

Viking Metal, my dear Nesthead... It just wouldn't be Viking without the swords! And yeah, rather like Isengard in some respects, seeing as Viking Metal is a subgenre of Black Metal.

And Bambi... Yes, Bathory do indeed rule, but Eld is a masterpeice none-the-less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

AngelWhore my brother!
    Damn right ! I didnt think anyone here was into Enslaved xcept me !:D
    Amazing band - i havent had a chance to get Below the Lights yet, but i definitely will ! And do check out Mardraum - its unreal !
    If you cant find it, your best bet is to go mailorder, its cheaper too (as opposed to these bastards hmv)

I saw Enslaved live in Heidelberg, Germany in 96 (early 97?) - brilliant gig but i cant remember who supported them...Grutle Kjellson was playin so hard he ripped the low E string on his bass!
    They were playing a small nite-club, so Grutle had to disappear backstage for 3 mins in the middle of a song to borrow the support band's bass ! They rule live - havent seen the DVD yet, must be good. Enslaved to me are the Pink Floyd of black metal !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Oh yes, I forgot all about Amon Amarth,

ive heard the track ,once sent from the golden hall.,wow that song rocks ,cool riffs!!!!!

ive got a feeling this is gunna be my new favourite band!

• Advertisement

I do certainly plan on getting Mardraum, Ancient1. They're certainly a very consistant band. But you've got to run out and get Below The Lights, it's truly awesome.

Hope they play Ireland at some stage.

Triv, Once Sent From The Golden Hall is a brilliant album, probably their best, I'd say.

Will do !

Brilliant new pics on www.enslaved.no

also check out the link to that NY photographer, you'll see what i mean.

Whoa, those do indeed ****ing rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

smilie42.gif

that's it !:D

Originally posted by Sarky
    smilie42.gif

Anyone care to petition DeVore to add this lovely little fellow to the smiley list? I mean, they put in a ninja and a silly little grey smiley that nobody uses, so why not a viking?

in the interest of viking metal !:D That should convince him!

Hey AngelWhore, good one!! ]:) ]:) ]:) ]:)

it's not workin...never mind

]:)

]:)

Hmm...

• Advertisement

...doesnt look like a viking metal emoticon from here....]:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

:horned:

Looks like it's working for me, anyway...

/me goes "RAAAH!" and says "Fjord" a lot...

Advertisement