Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

desperately need graphics card info

• 19-09-2003 11:35am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Look ive stuck this on the komplett forum and gotten NO response, i need help ASAP, so if you can take the time, please help :)

Hi, ive 2 pc's. both fairly new, im looking for graphics cards for both, indeed if i can get one type that will work in both,

one is a phillips iqon multimedia pc with celeron processor about 6mths old .....

Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.2 GHz
    Multi Channel Sound (integrated)
    64mb DDR Graphics (integrated)
    10/100 LAN (Broadband ready)
    256mb DDR RAM
    40GB Hard Disk Drive

the second is a dell dimension 2200

Intel 845GV+ chipset
    Intel Celeron Processor 2.2GHz
    Hard Drive: 40GB (7200rpm) IDE Hard Drive
    256MB DDR RAM
    Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics

Ive been looking at RADEON 9000 and 7500 and GeForce 4400, basically i havent a breeze bout video cards, so could anyone recommend one?? do i need more RAM?? its for playing games, i was gonna buy an XBOX but the PCs are sittnig there waiting to go!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Don't want to turn this into a for sales thread, but I've a Ti4400 for sale and when oced this baby can outperform a Ti4600. Pm me if you're interested.

Otherwise I recommend a radeon card, depends on how much you've to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Whats the exact spec of that card ? And how much are u looking for it ? Im looking around for a card also and might be intrested!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

couple of things about graphics cards. 1) your mainboard has an agp slot, the slot is either 2x 4x 8x. check your manual/mobo info to see which one it is. I'm guessing by the models of your comps that they're at least 4x, just check incase. 2) graphics cards come in various speeds, not just memory. what you want to check out is the core speed etc... of the card. the best way to do this is look up a review on which model you're going for. remember there are different versions of the graphics cards so make sure you look up the correct one. 64/128 mb of memory is fine for a card around that model. Note: if you're interested in half life 2 for best graphics go with a dx9 based card although some of the lesser dx9 fx cards arn't that good compared to the equivelent priced cards that run on dx8.1

do a search for graphics cards in this forum, you'll come up with lots of hits!!

gl, Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Your machines may not have an AGP slot at all.

Lots of machines with integrated graphics do not have a seperate AGP slot. Check that you have an AGP slot, or post the exact model numbers of your machines here.

Avoid the radeon 7500 it's rubbish for games. The 9000 isn't a whole lot better to honest and I also rate the 440MX as rubbish too. Of all of them the 7500 is the worst. To be honest, although the 9000 is a DX9 card, it won't have the juice to do Half Life 2 justice anyway, so you're as well get a more powerful DX8 card for the same money. The GF4 TI4400 mentioned here for sale would be great, I have one and it plays all games very well so far, and even does well in the HL2 benchmark even if it doesn't run as a DX9 card, although to you me and half the planet you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

If you could stretch to this....., you would be well sorted. More at least 3 or 4 times better than any of the cards you mentioned in terms of raw performance and a true directx9 part. Would smack the Ti4400 around as well.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=120321&p=&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&cks=PRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Morphéus
    the second is a dell dimension 2200

Intel 845GV+ chipset
    Intel Celeron Processor 2.2GHz
    Hard Drive: 40GB (7200rpm) IDE Hard Drive
    256MB DDR RAM
    Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics
    well you'll have to get a pci card for this one, it definitely doesn't have an agp slot.
    the radeon 9000 is your best option in this case.
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=117554&p=&t=292&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=3&cks=PRL
    i'd go for a geforce 4 ti4600 for the other pc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Prob the best value graphics card ive seen is the 128mb MSI Ti4200 @€;111 on www.hitide.ie .

Its more future proof with 128mb ram, it has a far better cooler than the Creative Ti4200 (i have both) .

From the sounds of it you dont want to go that expensive with your graphics card, so the one on hitide seems like a good option IMHO

Ps My MSI Ti4200 is running as a Ti4400 with absolutly no probs at all. Havent even tried more than that but im betting its well capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

nxt week komplett have a offer on the
    118630 Gainward GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR.....@ €105

just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Dell Dimension generally don't have an AGP slot. I can't find info on the Phillips iqon multimedia pc. But theres no point i recomending a graphics card unless you find out if this one has an AGP slot.

Best PCI cards are Nvidia 440MX/5200fx and Radeon 9000

AGP cards theres lots to choose from. But best value would be GF4ti4200 or a Radeon 9600pro/9500Pro. Unless you are buying a top of the range card like a Radeon 9800Pro or a FX5900Ultra and running it on a really fast PC (a Celeron 2.2ghz isn't) having 64mb or 128mb is enough. In fact the 64mb 4200 is faster than the 128mb version. The extra ram is just a sales gimmick unless you are running at very high res with AA turned on. With a lower spec'ed machine and card, you'll have to run at lower res so the smaller amount of ram won't cause a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

If you can get a PCI ti4X00, then go for it. Otherwise it's a Radeon 9000+

I definitely would not recommend the FX5200 or MX440.

Originally posted by Sir Random
    If you can get a PCI ti4X00, then go for it. Otherwise it's a Radeon 9000+

I definitely would not recommend the FX5200 or MX440.

I'd say a Radeon 9000 if you are playing mainly newer games. If you want to keep playing many older games stick with a Nvidia card. You'll have less problems. ATI still have their driver problems.

• Advertisement

Radeon 9000/9100/9200 won't really play the latest games if you're talking about dx9 games eg. HL2. Geforce Ti series are very good at dx8 games only being beaten by the high end FX and 9500+ cards.

I recommed a Ti4200 at creative or hitide. Or if you want to spend a tincy bit more I've a Ti4400 for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

My advice to you would be to get relatively cheap gfx cards i.e. under 150€
    have a look on komplett for cards of that type (obviously pci ones for the board wth no agp slot)

Unfortunately neither of those pc's are up to much for gaming, on the grounds that celeron processors are crap. So there is no point in getting an expensive gfx card.

ti4400's atm are a great budget card!

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Radeon 9000/9100/9200 won't really play the latest games if you're talking about dx9 games eg. HL2. Geforce Ti series are very good at dx8 games only being beaten by the high end FX and 9500+ cards.

I recommed a Ti4200 at creative or hitide. Or if you want to spend a tincy bit more I've a Ti4400 for sale

Great advice but please explain how you fit an AGP card in a PCI slot...

IMO a Celeron 2.2 is fine at lower res...

Ehh... you don't....

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Ehh... you don't....

Does either of these PC's have an AGP slot?

Morpheus hasn't checked yet so I can't answer that.

Advertisement