Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't load Windows ME

Options
  • 19-09-2003 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Been having problems on and off for a while with ME. Always having to reload printers and bits of software. I probably inadvertently removed something a while ago when trying to get my CD-RW to read. Anyway I was thinking of ending these problems by upgrading to XP and wanted to ask advice on here as to whether an upgrade would either get rid of, or inherit the problems. To do that I wanted to see the error messages I was getting and so (as last time) reloaded ME from the hard drive (it is an OEM machine) and now I cannot get Windows to start at all as it crashed during the locating hardware stage. I have tried all of the scan disk, system restore tools etc etc. I can start in Safe Mode but it will not allow me to reinstall Windows. From DOS using the c:\cabs\setup.exe path I get 61% through before being hit with the following: SUWIN - An error has occured in your application. Followed by SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module VERX.DLL at 0002:24AE. I have a system disc but get the same or similar problems. Does anyone know of a solution or should I just get Windows XP. If I do is an upgrade version OK for an OEM machine and would it obliterate all previous windows problems.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Chances are even a reinstall of Windows Me will fix the problem. But you would be wise to upgrade to XP, or even 2000. If you do, back up your stuff first and do a clean install. Even if you buy an upgrade cd, it will still let you do a clean install, but will prompt you to put in a valid earlier Windows CD (98, 2000 (if it's XP), Me, or NT 4 should work, but check on their site) to prove you are eligible for the upgrade price.

Just doing a plain upgrade probably might fix that problem, but maybe not, plus it's never as straightforward as it seems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Chances are even a reinstall of Windows Me will fix the problem.

No it won't you tit- it'll just reinstall Windows Millenium.

My friend I'm going to tell you the honest truth.
    Windows Millennium is the biggest most bug-ridden pile of **** that Microsoft or anyone else hasw ever made. Windows Millenium is the type of operating system that should only be reserved for call centres and NASA shuttle missions.
    Windows Millenium works fine for the 1st month, after which time it crashes more than Sato in a Jordan.
    It hangs on boot up, it screws up drivers (if they even work) it blue screens at least 3 times a week. It completly goes haywire- I've never seen the like of it before- I was ready to call an exorcist I swear. Millenium- you might as well just steamroll your hard drive and be done with it.

A line from Aliens comes to mind, "I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit- it's the only way to be sure."
    Back up that which you want, reformat your hard drive. Remove that offensive Win Me disk and cast it into the fiery depths of Mordor. Then scrub your hands repeatedly like you got OCD or whatever to cleanse yourself of it.

I would recommend 2000 or 98se if you want to stay with windows. But then again, although I hate XP with a passion it's still a thousand million times better than Milennium. Word cannot describe how crap it is.

Alternativly- why not take the opportunity to try some of the Linux flavours? Makes a big change from Millenium I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

google is your friend people, before you go advocating full reinstalls or OS migration

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224836

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129971

seek and ye shall find.
    http://computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/30734.html
    one of those, most likely the last one should solve your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

if you want to upgrade and keep existing apps then fix the problem first and then 2k or XP will upgrade,
    If you have no data you want to save then re-format and reinstall what ever OS you want

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Google search on "Windows ME" "DOS-mode" patch
    using it you can boot into DOS
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=513

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    No it won't you tit- it'll just reinstall Windows Millenium.
    No need to be a dick about it BB. Chalm down, chalm down.

Although he's got a point. Me is a pile of crap.

adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Got to admit, that was the best laugh I had yesterday.. :)

Advertisement