Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!, Setting up tv, dvd & Ntl

Options
  • 19-09-2003 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi all, wonder if someone could help with a problem I've got. I have a philips widescreen tv with 1 rgb scart connection - EXT1 (and ext2, ext3 & front - s-vhs/composite).

So, I have NTL digital and a sony dav-sa30 dvd/home theatre both will output rbg scart. So what do people do in this situation,

I've like to run both of them into the tv as RGB scart, but would also want to run ntl sound through the dvd/home theatre for prologic II sound?

any suggestions.

(at the moment I swap the rgb scart cable at the back of the tv depending on if I want ntl or dvd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

If I have read your question correctly connect all your components to TV via scart (ext1 ext2). Does the back of your NTL box have a digital/phono out? If it does connect this to your amp for surround sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

yeah, that's what I do at the mo, I run the ntl box into the rgb scart connection and the dvd into the composite scart connection so that the sound can run though the dvd/Home Theatre. But doing this means than ony one device has full RGB support. The other must do with "composite". I'd like a way to run both of them into the tv as RGB. What do other people do? do many tv's have 2 rgb scart connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Does either the NTL box or DVD player have two scarts?

I have a Sky Digibox and DVD player going into one RGB scart. The scart from the DVD player goes into the Digibox and then another scart runs from the Digibox to the TV. When I power on the DVD player that signal takes over and I can watch DVDs. When I power it off again the picture from Sky comes back.

If neither has two scart sockets then you either have to make do with one using composite or buy a RGB scart switch. This is like a small box where you plug in both scarts. This then plugs into your TVs RGb scart. You then manually select which source you wish to view on the box. Argos have cheap ones but you can get more expensive automatic or remote controlled ones.

I also have a phono interconnect from Digibox to amp to get prologic sound. The NTL box probably has the same connection on the back. It should be marked audio L/R and be coloured red and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

does your TV support S-Video on a different SCART ? I presume the DVD can output S-VIDEO as well.
    On a TV (even on a 32") I doubt if you'll see much difference between RGB and S-VIDEO.
    The biggest improvement will defenietly be from Composite to S-Video, however from S-Video to RGB or Component the difference on a normal TV (as suppose to projector for example) won't be too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Your Sky box may not support RGB passthrough. In case it doesn't, here are 2 Scart switching boxes that will let you switch those two RGB sources into that one RGB input on your TV:

Argos cheapy one

Better quality one

I've used the Argos one before but I had some problems when watching a Sky Widescreen movie in RGB. Sometimes the TV would not recognise the widescreen signal until I turned the DVD player off. Think this was just down to dodgy build quality (although pic quality was fine) so I'd go for the better one which definitely supports widescreen on pin 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Surely, run the NTL box through scart onto the composite connection on the tv, and the take the red and white connections from the out put and plug them into the composite input on the amp..... then run the dvd into the other scart input on the tv.

Or, go digital out of the ntl box for sound into the amp, and run the pucture on cart into ext 1, and run the dvd into ext 2.

Or, ntl to dvd on scart..... then dvd to tv on scart..... and select different input on the dvd.

(Dont know if that last one will work.)

Hmmm did a bit of research, apparently digital recievers *Should* have an rf out, a scart out, and an audio out. Run the NTL box on rf or scart to the back of the tv. then take the audio out into the back of the amp. sorted. and then run the dvd player onto the other scart input.

John

Advertisement