Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thompson - Liverpool will finish Champions

• 19-09-2003 1:04pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Liverpool assistant boss Phil Thompson has claimed the Reds will defy their early-season critics and win the Premiership title.
    The Merseysiders' poor start to the season saw them attract criticism over their performances, but two wins in two games has seen them jump to seventh
    Thompson said: "I believe we can win the league. We've had unfair criticism, but I have faith in this set-up."

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Liverpool assistant boss Phil Thompson has claimed the Reds will defy their early-season critics and win the Premiership title.

Thompson said: "I believe we can win the league. We've had unfair criticism, but I have faith in this set-up."
    Yeah yop, lets stir the shit! woo! wind up those liverpool fans good!

saying they can win and they will win are two very different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

That dope is living in la la land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

"I have faith in this set-up."
    Scandal !!! So the Pool have been pretending to be cráp the last couple of years...thank feck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaha ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah yop keep telling yourself that and if ur really lucky it might just come true!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Lol. I honestly believe both Thompson and Houllier are completely blind and daft.

Four more years, Four more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

arsenal, chelski and the scum aren't exactly setting a great pace now are they?

so lets just wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

*stir stir*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You can have all your little snipes and digs, but we'll see.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

yeah yop keep telling yourself that and if ur really lucky it might just come true!!!

I will believe what?

All I did was post up the idiotic statement that Thompson made. Take it as you wish just shows that if scouse have a pleb like this as assistant then they will go far.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't think that yop is a pool supporter (could be wrong). I'd like to know the source of that - hopefully it's out of context cause I really hope he didn't say that.

The guy is going nuts trying to defend GH but if went as far as saying that then I really don't think there is too many lights on upstairs.

He has been trying to ask the question, who could liverpool have in charge that would be doing better. Hopefully it's a case of he believes that Liverpool can win the league under GH in general, not any season in particular like...

From U.TV
    SOCCER: Thompson backs Pool title bid

Liverpool assistant manager Phil Thompson is adamant the current team are still capable of winning the Barclaycard Premiership this season.

The Reds missed out on a Champions League place last season by finishing fifth and are rated well behind Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea as title favourites.

But Gerard Houllier`s right-hand man insisted there is a belief among the Anfield squad that they can win their first league crown for 13 years.

He told LFC Magazine: ``I still think that with good runs, we can win the league. I believe that. We are one of those teams who can put runs together. We`ve done it before and we can do it again.

``Last year we had our good run at the start, and we had our bad run in the middle. That spell will never, ever happen again. Towards the end we also had a great run, but the last two games were two games too many.

``We didn`t lose the Champions League place against Manchester City or Chelsea. We lost it earlier in the season, but we still managed to put a string of wins together which took us back into the frame.

``I`ve got great faith in the squad, I`ve more than got faith in Gerard to succeed and to bring more trophies to the club.``

He added: ``I think Gerard has been great. It`s not just that some of the criticism has been unfair, I actually can`t believe it at times. People talk about making changes here, but who could you get better than Gerard Houllier?

``Who else could come into this football club and do what he`s done, what he`s doing and what he can do in the future? It honestly baffles me.

``Sometimes I think people know Gerard Houllier and then sometimes I think they`ve not got a clue about what the man has done or what he can do.

``Some people talk about making changes without saying where they`d go from here. And one or two of the names that have been mentioned couldn`t hold a candle to Gerard`s CV. And they can`t hold a candle to how these players feel about him, either.``

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nope, yop is a Man United fan. That however makes no difference when he is quoting Phil Thompson. Obviously I would like to see Liverpool win the league but even me at my optimistic best am only hoping for second spot.

Still I think that GH has gotten it right in the last two games, sending the guys up the pitch a bit instead of just sitting back and hitting on the break.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It was on one of the teletext stations last nite, either Ceefax or BBC - unsure which one - going on the LFC mag it looks like a case of "take his words, mess them and print out what sounds good"
    Still think he is off his rocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

you mean that houllier has discovered which end of the pitch to send the players towards.

I hate the way liverpool play so deep, it's so fustrating to see owen wandering around lost at the other end.

Take it back 12 months and there were pool supporters here who believed that they could win the league, I did think that they were in with a massive shout, but it fell apart.

This year, maybe I am wrong, but the scouseheads here do not have the same hopes, so going on that the statement makes Thompson look daft.

No wonder he has the big red nose, must be his pinochio tendencies! ww)

yawn, i can see where this thread is going....

Where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think old boy Phil has hit the bottle

I think old boy Phil has hit the bottle

Or even hit with a bottle ! :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Where
    Just general liverpool bashing. At the moment we are reduced to the twisting of a simple man like Phil T's words and making fun of him for having a red nose (despite alex ferguson having a nose of the same variety). All a pit silly really....

Agreed P, but that's not where you really meant was it ;)

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Agreed P, but that's not where you really meant was it ;)
    Not quite sure what your infering, is it any of the below?

-GH should be sacked
    -Liverpool are too defensive => boring
    -Gerrard is a scumbag (we weren't on that path but it's amazing how quickly we could end up there)
    -Liverpool are crap => will be lucky to finish with a Uefa spot
    -Or just spend three pages of posts slagging phil thompson

we could even turn it into gerrard is a filthy player and neill is a great layer and houillier is off his rocker if you want

Originally posted by p.pete

-Liverpool are too defensive => boring

Allways will be when old boy Phil (a old CB) is assistant manager.

Originally posted by irish1
    Allways will be when old boy Phil (a old CB) is assistant manager.
    That's an interesting thing to say. Given that phil is unlikely to be removed until whenever GH is removed you will most likely never be proved wrong.

Btw., did you see any of the last few games?

That's an interesting thing to say. Given that phil is unlikely to be removed until whenever GH is removed you will most likely never be proved wrong.

Btw., did you see any of the last few games?

I did, do you not think that he could be causing their defensive style?

I'd love to see a liverpool training session and see what input Phil has.

I found it a bit weird when he was appointed given that his last job was with sky sports talking bull.

I wonder what kinda input sammy lee has aswell, it seems to me they need some offensive input

[Humour Warning]

They should get yop on board so, he can be pretty offensive, especially about liverpool :D

[/Humour Warning]

/Meh would like to apologise to any and all insulted by the above text ;) Although I am sure yop would agree with me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by dudara
    you mean that houllier has discovered which end of the pitch to send the players towards.

I hate the way liverpool play so deep, it's so fustrating to see owen wandering around lost at the other end.

did you actually watch liverpool play in recent matches??

last season we were defensive, its gone the other way now since the villa and spurs game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Well, in fairness what is he supposed to say when asked??
    'God mid-table would be great'
    'We're only here to make up the numbers'
    As a Pool supporter I would prefer him to say we have a chance rather than writing us off in the public domain and having those sentiments seen by the players. He is supposed encourage the players not deflate them. And to whoever thinks he should'nt be there as his last job was punditry- he has more medals than Roy who would be welcome on the Utd bench in years to come so you might want to rethink that one..

They should get yop on board so, he can be pretty offensive, especially about liverpool

.....picks himself off the floor with power of insult! :ninja:

did you actually watch liverpool play in recent matches??

Personally I have not seen a whole pool match lately, time will tell of course, season is long and as we all learned last season no point in ruling any team out until March or April.

***except scouse of course*** :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I honestly feel that Liverpool are one of the major challengers this season. Last season is irrelevent to be honest as the bad run was a freak.....

They have made some quality additions to the team once more and seem to have moved on from the defensive mentality they stuck by lst season... Besides for Chelsea, the other big clubs have not made many additions to their squad that are worth noting...

Will see what happens.... And all assistant managers are mad anyway!

Besides for Chelsea, the other big clubs have not made many additions to their squad that are worth noting

So you would not rate Howard, Kleberson, Djemba or Ronaldo! You drinking from the same bottle as Thompson?

Originally posted by yop
    So you would not rate Howard, Kleberson, Djemba or Ronaldo! You drinking from the same bottle as Thompson?
    I would rate them all as either good squad players or ones to watch for the future.

Howard will establish himself, Djemba hard to know, Kleberson again should, Ronaldo will

All definately more than "not worth noting" me thinks, could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Howard is a very good keeper.
    The jury is out on the others before saying they are star players.

Personally, I was pleasently surprised by Liverpool's attitude this season and it looks like it took them 3 games to get used to the change in playing style.

They still have a tendancy to resort back to the route one football to owen, which is too one-dimensional to be effective, but I think their biggest problem for this season was squad depth.

I maintain that if Liverpool had invested in a centre half of hypia's quality, an international class midfielder in the Hamman mould and a striker they would have challanged strongly for the title.

As it is I think their lack of squad strength may cost them early and I would put them 4th at best.

Originally posted by sykeirl
    The jury is out on the others before saying they are star players.
    Personally, I was pleasently surprised by Liverpool's attitude this season and it looks like it took them 3 games to get used to the change in playing style.
    They still have a tendancy to resort back to the route one football to owen, which is too one-dimensional to be effective, but I think their biggest problem for this season was squad depth.
    I maintain that if Liverpool had invested in a centre half of hypia's quality, an international class midfielder in the Hamman mould and a striker they would have challanged strongly for the title.
    As it is I think their lack of squad strength may cost them early and I would put them 4th at best.
    Your remarks on Liverpools squad depth are quickly becoming platitudinous. Would it be fair to say that if we hold our own till around Christmas that the chances would be improved dramatically?

We need another striker and all the reports today are saying that Djibril Cisse is on the way - it won't be this season but quick fixes are a bad thing. I think we've already spent about 100m on players that were supposed to be the quick fix in the last few years.

Medina will be the next central defender to come through but for the moment we will have to hope that Biscan does a good job. Ayala rumours are still about but that would have to wait til christmas anyway.

As for buying a midfielder, I think we have to decide on how our midfield is supposed to be working first. It's quite cool the way it is at the moment but I don't believe in my heart that it will be left like that - particularly in matches against the top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Where

The same place every other Liverpool related threat started by a Man Yoo'er - slagging off the Reds and praising Man Yoo to high heaven.

Your remarks on Liverpools squad depth are quickly becoming platitudinous. Would it be fair to say that if we hold our own till around Christmas that the chances would be improved dramatically?

Ya know.... you try to be constructive and this is the thanks you get.

I think its not a case of holding out, I think its a case of getting results against the top teams while maintaining squad strength in light of internationals (looks like you'lll have a few players in the Euro Playoffs), UEFA cup matches (happen later in the week than CL) and domestic cup distractions.

I don't think the players on the bench are good enough to do the job. But I'm happy to admit that I was wrong to be as negative about their chances as I was.

[edit]And I'm far from a Man Utd Supporter[/edit]

Originally posted by sykeirl
    He's certainly put in some very solid performances so far but I'm not convinced - best of a bad bunch [me waits for the over reaction to my over reaction]

• Advertisement

We need another striker and all the reports today are saying that Djibril Cisse is on the way - it won't be this season but quick fixes are a bad thing. I think we've already spent about 100m on players that were supposed to be the quick fix in the last few years.

I'm sorry but how long is Baros out for again??

Because if your going to rely on Heskey to partner Owen up front then I think the pool will suffer. Cisse may be good for next season but for now the pool are left way short up front, letting Mellor go on loan to West Ham could prove to have been a major mistake!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the day liverpool win the championship under houllier is the day manu and arsenal get relegated. and pigs will fly phil thompson. 5th last year, 2 more players added and u think you'll win the league?!

howard is a good keeper and looks pretty solid. he's made the odd mistake but i think mistakes at utd are magnified 5times compared to other clubs.

liverpool dont need strikers, they need midfielders. kewell, if u can even call him a midfielder is the only one that stands out.

Originally posted by smemon
    the day liverpool win the championship under houllier is the day manu and arsenal get relegated. and pigs will fly phil thompson. 5th last year, 2 more players added and u think you'll win the league?!

howard is a good keeper and looks pretty solid. he's made the odd mistake but i think mistakes at utd are magnified 5times compared to other clubs.

liverpool dont need strikers, they need midfielders. kewell, if u can even call him a midfielder is the only one that stands out.
    It'd be sad to think that soccer might be one of the things you know most about.

While some of the things you say are pretty interesting, after about five sentences you turn into a ****ing fanboy.

Last seasons finish was a freak incident, considering they had their worst run in history and still finished 5th says alot. You forget the season before where they finished second and third the one before that.. Correct me if I am wrong, Liverpool had one of the best opening months to any new season last year before the bad run and their form was one of the best in the league after the bad run. It was freak and if you knew anything about football you would acknowledge that..

Not one of them has established themselves in the starting 11, Howard looks like he is going too but Barthez is far more experienced and is likely to get his place back. Ronaldo certainly has massive potential, I wont dispute that. United have lost Veron and Beckham and do not have anyone to replace them of equal quality, thus they are a weaker side. They still have an excellent squad however and will likely win the league. Dont be so biased all the time.

As for Liverpool, they have a massive squad and pretty much have more than adequate back up for every position. Well they did until both Baros and Carragher got injured. The who squad is also very settled as they have been with the club for quite a long time. Chelsea have a massive squad and the squad just needs time to gell. As for Arsenal, have a deadly first team but are in dire need for some decent squad players for back up, this was highlighted during the week really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i will not praise or acknowlegde any side that puts defense before attack most games when they have no reason to. liverpool may have improved on last season, may. but i dont think so. come may liverpool will not be challenging in the top 3.

you can almost guarantee utd and arsenal will be there, u cant say liverpool will. as for the worst pool run in their history, maybe its because they have their worst team and manager in their history? bottom line is they finished 5th, what they deserved.

newcastle, chelsea, utd and arsenal are all better than them. its time the pool fans stoped living in the 70's, you are no longer a dominent force.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre

As for Liverpool, they have a massive squad and pretty much have more than adequate back up for every position. Well they did until both Baros and Carragher got injured. The who squad is also very settled as they have been with the club for quite a long time.

Liverpool have not got a strong squad only players that have real quality are:
    Dudek
    Hypia
    Finnan
    Gerrard
    Hamman
    Owen
    Kewell

Thats 7!!!

Sorry but buying a few french guys that you hope may one day be good players is noty having a good squad.

Why can't pool fans accept they are only a top 6 side!!!!!!!

Liverpool have not got a strong squad only players that have real quality are:
    Dudek
    Hypia
    Finnan
    Gerrard
    Hamman
    Owen
    Kewell

Thats 7!!!

Sorry but buying a few french guys that you hope may one day be good players is noty having a good squad.

That list is not truly representative of the squad.

As a first team of players, its a very good team:

Dudek

Hypia - Henchoz - Risse - Finnan

Gerard - Kewell - Hamann - Murphy

Owen - Heskey

For back-up:

Kirkland

Traore - Carrager - Biscann

Smicer - Diao - Le Tallec - Cheyrou

Diouf - Baros - Pongolle

Back to my point, for every first team player, there is someone in the squad that can fill the role when required. United have the same back up in place more or less, so do Chelsea but Arsenal do not. Arsenal's squad is not big enough to cope with any problems they encounter, i.e. injuries or suspensions.

So a list of quality players Liverpool have:

Dudek
    Hypia
    Henchoz
    Risse
    Finnan
    Gerard
    Kewell
    Hamann
    Murphy
    Owen
    Baros
    Diouf
    Carragher
    Kirkland

Potentially:
    Traore
    Pongolle
    Le Tallec
    Cheyrou

i will not praise or acknowlegde any side that puts defense before attack most games when they have no reason to. liverpool may have improved on last season, may. but i dont think so. come may liverpool will not be challenging in the top 3.

you can almost guarantee utd and arsenal will be there, u cant say liverpool will. as for the worst pool run in their history, maybe its because they have their worst team and manager in their history? bottom line is they finished 5th, what they deserved.

newcastle, chelsea, utd and arsenal are all better than them. its time the pool fans stoped living in the 70's, you are no longer a dominent force.

With two or three games to go last season, Liverpool nearly finished 3rd... Check the tables for each of the last few weeks of the season. They ended up 5th but it was still a fight to the end. At one stage, united were languishing in mid table.

As for not repecting a team who defend before they attack, what ****e are you talking about. Every team have their own style of play and whether you like this style of football or not, is irrevelent to where they deserve to finish. A season is fought out over 38 games and if a club finishes 1st or 5th, they deserve to finish in that position.

So if a club plays with a defensive style of play and finish first, fair ****s to them, they deserve it as they were consistent over the whole season. Its such as flawed argument, football is about winning and if you can win consistently with a certain style of football, then go with it. Its not about keeping an opposing group of fans happy, its about winning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

So if a club plays with a defensive style of play and finish first, fair ****s to them, they deserve it as they were consistent over the whole season. Its such as flawed argument, football is about winning and if you can win consistently with a certain style of football, then go with it. [/B][/QUOTE]

BUT THEY ARENT WINNING CONSISTENTLY!!!!! and they most certainly arent finishing first!!!!!

FURTHERMORE!!! Football is only totally about winning when YOU are playing in the ****ing team not when youre watching on sky sports! Its entertainment and supposed to be entertaining! obviously winning has alot to do with it but look at the year Arsenal did the double with George Graham, Ian Wright, Nigel Winterburn, Tony Adams, Alan Smith etc -Id top myself having to watch my team play like that every week despite them winnning the double!

Bottom line- Liverpool play a crap style and its not even a case of 'at least it works!!!' cause it doesnt!

Jesus_thats_Gre why can't you accept my quote above?????

• Advertisement
Advertisement