Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thompson - Liverpool will finish Champions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I'd guess it is because he does not agree with you. You are prattling on about how Liverpool are only a top six side when in the last four seasons the have finished 4, 3, 2, 5 now ya can average that out yourself at about 3 and a half, so we'll say fourth, averaging a fourth place finish makes them better than a top six side in fact that is an average of a champion's league place a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by irish1

Why can't pool fans accept they are only a top 6 side!!!!!!!

so true!

they are certainly not title contenders, realistically they are not gonna finish higher than 3rd or lower than 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus_thats_Gre why can't you accept my quote above?????

I just dont agree. If you work on the last three seasons they averaged third place. The last two years they averaged 4th place. If I believed your post was inbiased and if you backed it up with arguments, I would consider accepting it. They are not a top 6 team, they are at least a top 4 team. Being behind great clubs like United and Arsenal is nothing to be ashamed off either.

Regarding them being top 6 or top 4, can we drop that one, gonna become very very petty i thinks and is a pointless argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if your a battling club like charlton ive no problem with defensive attitude, i dont like it but they dont have the quality to attack. fair enough.

BUT if your a massive club like liverpool with millions of fans all over the world and have an illustrius history it doesnt make sense to be so cautious. houllier is AFRAID to attack, he's a wimp. he's destroying liverpools reputation and spending millions building up flop academy.

their a cup side under houllier, ie. a one off team. jesus thats great, youve said liverpool were 3rd up to the last few weeks, then you say 5th is what they deserved. basically what your saying is the table never lies. if 5th is good enough for pool fans then they have pretty low expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Regarding them being top 6 or top 4, can we drop that one, gonna become very very petty i thinks and is a pointless argument.

It's not an argument its my opinion thats all, I can't say where liverpool WILL finish but in my opinion they don't have great dept in their squad or a system that will put them challenging the top sides. I said top six which means I see them finishing in the top six maybe 4th or 5th or 6th I didn't say they would finish 6th.

I honestly think loosing Baros will affect them where will the goals come from. What if Owen's hamstring starts falring up again as it probably will at some stage??

Originally posted by smemon
    if your a battling club like charlton ive no problem with defensive attitude, i dont like it but they dont have the quality to attack. fair enough.

BUT if your a massive club like liverpool with millions of fans all over the world and have an illustrius history it doesnt make sense to be so cautious. houllier is AFRAID to attack, he's a wimp. he's destroying liverpools reputation and spending millions building up flop academy.

their a cup side under houllier, ie. a one off team. jesus thats great, youve said liverpool were 3rd up to the last few weeks, then you say 5th is what they deserved. basically what your saying is the table never lies. if 5th is good enough for pool fans then they have pretty low expectations.

Firstly, 5th if not good enough for me. But I have also pointed out that last season was a freak. They had had an incredibly bad run of things for while and to finish 5th and nearly squeeze 4th, possibly 3rd, was a good achievement. They gotta put last season behind them and learn their lesson, which seem to have done this season and have moved towards a more offensive style of football.

I also agree with the point the Liverpool are a cup team, I am hoping that changes however.

It's not an argument its my opinion thats all, I can't say where liverpool WILL finish but in my opinion they don't have great dept in their squad or a system that will put them challenging the top sides. I said top six which means I see them finishing in the top six maybe 4th or 5th or 6th I didn't say they would finish 6th.

I honestly think loosing Baros will affect them where will the goals come from. What if Owen's hamstring starts falring up again as it probably will at some stage??

Sorry didnt mean to appear like i was dismissing what you said. All i meant was that I dont agree with your opinion and that we should leave it at the before that became the main focus of this debate and it all turned a bit silly.

I honestly dont think Liverpool will win it, but its certainly a possibility. They are a fighting team and can force results. If they play consistently over the whole season in accordance with their potential and not slip into a rut like last season, they will certainly be there at the end.

Newcastle will not finish as well this season i dont think, Arsenal are on a downward slope at the moment until they strengten, United are just as strong as ever and Chelsea have so much to offer and will just grow and grow... So to sum up, United will win the league, Liverpool, Chelse and Arsenal will fight it out for the remaining 3 positions and I wouldnt dare tempt fate by trying to predict it.

And yes they will miss Baros, big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Well all I can say is that Liverpool are unbeaten in 5 Premiership games. Scoring 8 goals in there last 3 games. Two of which were played away against reasonable oposition.

Michael Owen is joint top scorer in the league as we speak and the team have had more shots on goal than any other team in the Premiership.

They are the facts right there. If Liverpool continue this form i'm sure Phil Thompson's comments wont be too far off the Mark at the end of the season. And until that time arrives it would be ridiculous to rule them out.

Originally posted by Sajan
    Well all I can say is that Liverpool are unbeaten in 5 Premiership games. Scoring 8 goals in there last 3 games. Two of which were played away against reasonable oposition.

Michael Owen is joint top scorer in the league as we speak and the team have had more shots on goal than any other team in the Premiership.

They are the facts right there. If Liverpool continue this form i'm sure Phil Thompson's comments wont be too far off the Mark at the end of the season. And until that time arrives it would be ridiculous to rule them out.

Interesting FACTS. The shots on goal things makes me very happy, its great to see that they have stopped playing defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I watched the entire game on Canal+ yesterday and have to say they did play well. the ball was being moved to the wings and passed out wide a lot and runs and crosses into the box were being made. When they kept it on the floor yesterday Leicester were unable to get the ball for long spells. Then in the second half when for some reason we decided to hit it high and hope Heskey got a head on it Leicester came more and more into the game. Finnan looked very good going forward despite some poor placed passes and even Biscan played well again at Centre Half.

Let us hope Houllier keeps on with this style of play it is nice to see some attacking football again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Any coincidence that Since Gh has started playing Keweell on the left , Diouf on the right and Heskey up front their results have improved? I wonder does Gh Read Boards?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Any coincidence that Since Gh has started playing Keweell on the left , Diouf on the right and Heskey up front their results have improved? I wonder does Gh Read Boards?

I know it is a bizarre thing when players play better when they play in their proper positions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

If they do I'll buy liverpool home and away and wear them both into work

ROFFLELOLOLMAO!!! LIVERPOOL! CHAMPIONS!! ROFLELOLOL

maybe thompson is looking into a career as a comedian he better be because he badly needs a new one

Originally posted by Emboss
    If they do I'll buy liverpool home and away and wear them both into work

ROFFLELOLOLMAO!!! LIVERPOOL! CHAMPIONS!! ROFLELOLOL

maybe thompson is looking into a career as a comedian he better be because he badly needs a new one

This should kick a constructive debate off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

you can't have a serious debate when the subject is liverpool winning the title it's just obsurd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by Emboss
    you can't have a serious debate when the subject is liverpool winning the title it's just obsurd
    That's because Thompsons words were taken out of context, yes the idea of liverpool winning the league is absurd and that is not what he said.

I posted a longer, more accurate article reporting on his remarks if you want to go back and read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im probably a fool to take thomsons comments seriously and argue on this thread but.

Liverpools squad is inferior to the likes of Man Utd Arsenal and Chelski and perhaps even Blackburn and southampton.

Liverpool supporters are living in the past.The team hasnt done anything spectacular in nearly 15 years yet their fans think that they are the dogs bollocks.

Thats just a load of crap
    Originally posted by AngelofFire
    Im probably a fool to take thomsons comments seriously and argue on this thread but.
    That's because they are beign taken out of context.

Liverpools squad is inferior to the likes of Man Utd Arsenal and Chelski and perhaps even Blackburn and southampton.
    The first three yes, could you please try and attempt to support the argument to include the last two, I like a good laugh.

Liverpool supporters are living in the past.The team hasnt done anything spectacular in nearly 15 years yet their fans think that they are the dogs bollocks.
    It's rare that you will find a Liverpool fan that doesn't think that things need to improve. We're still passionate but that's just a part of supporting the team. They are a top 4 team and this is not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Inferior squad to Blackburn and Southampton?!?!? Is this the same Blackburn we spanked last week?? And whether the 2 of the other three are stronger is open to debate. Oh and I would have thought winning three cups in one year was fairly spectacular..

Wenger actually said recently that Chelsea have the largest squad in the league followed by Liverpool then ManU.

That's not necesarrily the order that I would have put them in and it could also have been a jibe at ManU putting us ahead of them. The point is that the squad is strong and rated well by the other managers in the league.

Going back to the suggestion that Liverpool need another striker, I'm not convinced. In addition to Owen there is Baros, Heskey, Sinama and Mellor can be recalled if things get bad. While Baros is out the only striker of merrit there admittedly is Owen.

Liverpool will never win the League unless Owen has an injury free season. In the past he has been very injury prone but as he is maturing it is happening less and less. If you look at it this way, would ManU have won the league last season if RVN suffered from injuries. Heskey is better than Forlan and I don't see that we have any greater need for additional strikers than the other teams around us.

• Advertisement

I just wish you would provide some sort of comparitive analysis to back up your argument. Why do you not draw up a list of Blackburn's, Southampton's and Liverpool's squads and compare the players in each position on the first team and then the squad. That way we can actually provide some sort of arguement as oppossed to just dismissing what you said as being rediculous... And to be honest, as it stands it is pure nonsence.

Man U have a better overall squad that Liverpool and Arsenal are just about hanging on to that moniker. Arsenal have a superior first team, but thats where it stops, the most PC was of describing their squad would be lacking cover..... This, as I posted earlier is something Liverpool do not have a problem with, they have sufficient players to provide adequate back up for every first team member. Arsenal do not and even United are struggling to provide this. Just look at the team they played yesterday, Phil Neville in midfield? Giggs as a striker??? And just because they had a few injuries. Dont take that out of context however, Giggs is an effective attacking player but his true position is on the left and Phil Neville is not a midfielders, although he did have a good game... The out of position thing is not meant to kick of another debate about GH's tactics of sometimes playing players out of position, that has already been discussed and I dont agree with it.... My point on this one that Ferguson was forced to play these players out of position cause he had no alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Hey pete you were right it did turn into a liverpool bashing contest besides chelsea have the best squad of players in the league

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Hey pete you were right it did turn into a liverpool bashing contest besides chelsea have the best squad of players in the league
    True, Chelsea have the strongest squad and the best players in just about every position. They are calmly taking their points while the other teams at the top seem to be losing their heads. fergy and arsene seem like two kids fighting over second place at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

I just wish you would provide some sort of comparitive analysis to back up your argument. Why do you not draw up a list of Blackburn's, Southampton's and Liverpool's squads and compare the players in each position on the first team and then the squad. That way we can actually provide some sort of arguement as oppossed to just dismissing what you said as being rediculous... And to be honest, as it stands it is pure nonsence.

Forwards:
    Cole, Yorke, Grabbi, Jansen V Owen, Baros, Heskey, Pongolle
    For me Owen and Baros are the obvious first choices but there is an arguement that Rovers could have more experience in this department.
    Midfield:
    Emerton, Baggio, Ferguson, Tugay, Thompson, Reid, Flitcroft, Mahon V Gerrard, Hammann, Diouf, Kewell, Murphy, Smicer, Le Tallec, Diao
    Though BB have a good load of quality midfielders there is no-one on this list that can touch Gerrard or Kewell. Definitely more strength in the Pools midfield.
    Keepers:
    Friedel, Kelly V Dudek, Kirkland.
    Brad is going great guns and could just shade Jerzy with his consistency but with Kirkland as a more than able deputy thats another dept the Pool are superior in.
    Defence:
    Babbel, Johannsen, Gresko, Amoruso, Neill, Short V Hyypia, Henchoz, Finnan, Carragher, Riise, Biscan, Traore
    No contest here with Pool having one of the best defences in the league and BB having to use our cast offs. I see central defence as a bit of a weak point if Hyypia were to get injured but the same can be said of BB if Amo were to get injured...I await the backlash:)

Originally posted by marct
    Forwards:
    Cole, Yorke, Grabbi, Jansen V Owen, Baros, Heskey, Pongolle
    For me Owen and Baros are the obvious first choices but there is an arguement that Rovers could have more experience in this department.
    Midfield:
    Emerton, Baggio, Ferguson, Tugay, Thompson, Reid, Flitcroft, Mahon V Gerrard, Hammann, Diouf, Kewell, Murphy, Smicer, Le Tallec, Diao
    Though BB have a good load of quality midfielders there is no-one on this list that can touch Gerrard or Kewell. Definitely more strength in the Pools midfield.
    Keepers:
    Friedel, Kelly V Dudek, Kirkland.
    Brad is going great guns and could just shade Jerzy with his consistency but with Kirkland as a more than able deputy thats another dept the Pool are superior in.
    Defence:
    Babbel, Johannsen, Gresko, Amoruso, Neill, Short V Hyypia, Henchoz, Finnan, Carragher, Riise, Biscan, Traore
    No contest here with Pool having one of the best defences in the league and BB having to use our cast offs. I see central defence as a bit of a weak point if Hyypia were to get injured but the same can be said of BB if Amo were to get injured...I await the backlash:)

Is there any need to post the Southampton squad? I dont think so. We should create a new thread that compares respective positons of the top teams. That would be interesting..

Is there any need to post the Southampton squad? I dont think so. We should create a new thread that compares respective positons of the top teams. That would be interesting..
    Somebody already did a very good comparison before the league started (Blackburn and Southampton weren't included though). Can't remember which thread it was under though - needless to say Chelsea have been bolstered a bit since then also.

Advertisement