Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coming Problems For Gaming

• 19-09-2003 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Something I have been thinking about lately is what will happen to the games market in say, ten years time?

The games are getting more and more complex as we all know, but thanks to this the amount of human labour needed rises too. For a movie, you just put a camera infront of an actor and tell him/her what to do, in gaming, everything has to be meticulously recreated.

So when games are as realistic as movies, surely the development times and cost to the consumer will be unimaginable. Is this a crisis facing the industry or is there some solution?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

are consumers going to be willing to pay that much for a game ? if the gaming industry knows so then they wont spend that much time on games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Game development techniques will no doubt improve a great deal too in 10 years. Tasks that take a team of ppl months to do now, may be done in one evening by some minium wage college dropout using the latest drag n' drop games development software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

imo id say look at games 10 years ago and how they are graphically, but i think technology is moving faster now. anyway compere a best selling snes or medadrive, with a best selling ps2,xbox gamecube game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if u want to see games reaching movie porportions look at shenmue the series costs the same as a major US blockbuster. The way around that large cost was to sell the game in chapters.

but like the others say game development techniques shall cover most porblems. The most popular consoles are usually the easiest to develop for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye weemcd.

super metroid > metroid prime
    mortal kombat > mortal kombat: da

if anything games have gotten cheaper over the last 10 years (i remember paying in the region of £60 when super metroid came out)
    like MrPink said, development techniques will evolve along with the consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

if anything games have gotten cheaper over the last 10 years
    I'm not so sure. I remember that £30 used to be a decent pricew for a PC game, then they crept up, and now are about 60 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg
    The most popular consoles are usually the easiest to develop for.

Explain the Playstation2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

As Technology improves the graphics will, they'll be able to create almost lifelike models in about 5-10years time, and be able to make them quickly and easily more than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Explain the Playstation2.

Or the now defunct Saturn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was gonna be something to do with premature ejaculation! *lol*

Anyway, the simple fact is that APIs will be built up on top of each other to make all of todays time consuming tasks automated. However, that is not to say that all game programming will be done by minimum wage monkies. Developers have to push the boundaries in order to be competitive / successful, and so they will find new challenges to concentrate their work on, and a big part of this will depend on what hardware is available at the time.

I expect to see a lot more games be Internet-friendly. i.e. The storyline may revolve more around on-line play, than the single player-missions! Imagine a storyline that changes based on the outcome of on-line play. That's what's coming. With the advent of Fast TCP , we could see speeds of up to 8.4 Gigabits per second, allowing this kind of game to emerge.

Don't worry too much about the games industry. Its pretty healthy right now, and nobody, including the publishers really want to tamper with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement