Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Users

• 19-09-2003 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Can any existing users of the Irish Braodband "Breeze Home" package report here on how satisfied they are with it.

Im not particularly worried about ping speeds, but am about upload/downlaod speeds, broken connections, support, etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'll get more answers in the Broadband forums methinks *hup*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Ooops , sorry bout that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I have to say, things on the 8-1 IBB offering are far from smooth. I've had non-stop problems since i got it 2.5 months ago. Usually its just horrible pings, but sometimes its been horrible service. I can't even get a game of CS anymore.

Could it be i am getting my conenction limited. or is it just the volume of users they have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Why don't you just ring them and see?

I find they are very helpful on the 8:1.

Im downloading at 56kb/s as I type...no it's not warez.

sangre, what pings are you getting, and what tower are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Ok, so thats 50% happy, 50% unhappy :D

anybody else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Originally posted by Sangre
    Im downloading at 56kb/s as I type...no it's not warez.

And would you consider that transfer rate to be resonable for 512 down?, I would hope to recieve at least 150kb/s. How far away are you from the tower and what is you LOS like? Im waitng on an installation atm, I hope it will be worth going with IBB.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Originally posted by Hal1
    And would you consider that transfer rate to be resonable for 512 down?, I would hope to recieve at least 150kb/s.

512/8 = 64kilobytes/s

How would you expect to get 150kb/s?!

Am I missing something??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

And would you consider that transfer rate to be resonable for 512 down?, I would hope to recieve at least 150kb/s.

No matter how much I try, I cannot make sense out of that one....

1Kb = 8Kbit (kb = KiloByte(s))

150Kb on a 512Kbit line, kinda difficult!
    150Kbit on a 512Kbit line, kinda crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

Comms tend to use bits as their unit of measure.
    Some comms systems refer to kilobytes as kB and kilobits as kb. Recall that one byte equals eight bits.

So you're 512kb link is in fact equal to 64kB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

my mistake, i wasn't aware of the breakdown of bits/bytes when it comes to bandwith and contention ratios.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

Humm, i wonder do the ping problems depend on which mast u'r using?

I wanna get onto Digital Hub, Dublin 8. Anyone have ping problems there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

hi

I just want to ask anyone who has the Breeze Home Irish broad band option, what hardware to they give you. presumably they fit some receiver on top of your house and then run a cable from that to a hub or adsl modem or what???? inside your house

Basically they stick an antenne on top of your chimney, and run a cable to your computer, where it plugs into a little box (a power over ethernet box) which then connects to your computer via ethernet. Very quick and painless, up and running within minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you go to their site the give a pretty good breakdown of the equipment, and they also give an install doc, the same one they give to the engineer I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"painless"

I dont think lightening hitting the antenna its that painless :D

Advertisement