Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jedi academy

Options
  • 19-09-2003 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

So what does everyone think of this game, i got it today but have barely played it cause i had to goto work

From what i saw looks brilliant, graphics are smooth and the sounds are excellent

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Played the demo of this game; seems to be more of the same, though the ability to customise your own jedi is cool. not sure if the plot sounds as interesting - still intend grabbing a copy at some point ...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i got it and played it for about an half hour it's cool customizing lightsabres is cool and the ability to either go dark side or light side is cool (just like jedi knight 2)

the game was cheap too 35 euros in smyths with loyalty card

35's good - are new release games still retailing at €60? (been a long time since I bought a new game) What's Jedi Academy going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

console games are 60-70
    pc games sell for 40-50

jedi acadamy was €39.99
    10% off for smyths card 4 euros

total cost €35.99

btw smyths loyalty card is free

ah ok - I have a GAME loyalty card, I wonder if they do the same thing - they did for when I got BF:secret weapons (say nothing)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Got the game today myself, but haven't even installed it yet. The previous Jedi Knight games always kept me entertained, and both had great multiplayer. So I think it shall be good, if a little dated, looks wise by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Great game so far, although it is more of the same. Some of the textures look a little dated, but its fantastic to play. Its a bit short though. 2 of my mates have completed it already, and I assume I'm most of the way through, after about 12 hours play altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Not taking away anything from this game its very good, but in multiplayer the bloody lightning is way overpowered one hit and your dead

Needs to be patched badly

Shin

Any good servers that you know of for Irish players? And is it 56k friendly ? :D
    How does the new siege mode play?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

no irish servers for jedi academy that i can see on ASE, havent played the siege mode yet, only CTF Duel and FFA

love the double lightsabres, can cut a guy to pieces in seconds LOL

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

jesus christ that game coulda been a patch, the only good thing is the dual saber for cool tricks, its a button bashin piece of crap. the models are rubbish and so is the character animation, nearly no new weapons, and i played a level at a jedi tomb and the gfx and gameplay were crap, like walls falling away with perfectly straight edges and the ocasional stupid crystal sticking out of a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by weemcd
    jesus christ that game coulda been a patch, the only good thing is the dual saber for cool tricks, its a button bashin piece of crap. the models are rubbish and so is the character animation, nearly no new weapons, and i played a level at a jedi tomb and the gfx and gameplay were crap, like walls falling away with perfectly straight edges and the ocasional stupid crystal sticking out of a rock.

Great to see you gave it a good go before coming up with your opinion.

From what I have played of it, it seems to be quite good. Alot of it seems to be button bashing when using a Saber though.. It doesnt overly detract from the game however. Three of me mates have completed it and they all think its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think its great so far !
    I like the force effects when you push people etc,the lightsabres,the way you can choose missions,customizeeee !!!!

its good fun all in all , the voice acting lets it down a bit... and it can somtimes be jerky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I must say, I'm very, very impressed by the game. The multiplayer seems a hell of a lot more balanced than in Jedi Knight 2, and the moves really are brilliant. I'm sure I wont be hailed as such a jammy git next LAN because of this, it seems that bit more skilled, yet easy enough to get ahold of. There seems to be a fair few more moves this time round, which is always a good thing, and I've even tried stringing a few moves together nicely. Granted I can still jump into the middle of a crowd and behead everyone as I always did before, but there's a lot more finesse to it this time.

I also love the different lightsabers there's not really a 'Best' choice, they've all got their own strenghts and weaknessess, and different moves. Way fun.

As for the Force Lightning being too powerfull... REAL Jedi's use sabers and neutral powers ONLY. Dont be a jammy puffter and run around shooting lightning at people.

Single player is definetly more interesting this time round, I'm just at that speed racer part. Very cool indeed. Seems like that might be a cool multiplayer level? Although the custom characters are very limited, only 5 different species? And not much in the way of selections for clothing either. Bit poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

I really loved outcast, downloaded heaps of mods and models, new sabre's the lot, but dont think i'll be doing the same for Academy. Its and expansion pack with double the missions and some new moves & weapons (even though the new weapons & some moves are available via mods for outcast anyway). It looks marginally better than JK2 (marginaly). Thats not to say i amn't enjoying it, it has lightsabres for gods sake, but it lacks originality, and i find myself rushing through the early levels just to get to missions with abundant dark jedi?

Anyway im playing it on jedi and it looks to be a 15 hour game or so at least, depends on how you play. i refuse to use anything but sabre. And plenty of re-playability with different force configurations and sabre types! oh and the non lightsabre wielding jedi are challenging especially when working in a team..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

OK little bit more enthusiastic about Academy.. a lot of mods & models from outcast seem to still work with the new game.. dont know if thats accicental or intentional, but it does mean i dont have to download a new darth Maul model. score.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Average. It's piss easy though. And the story isn't great.

It's alright, it's fun for a while but it's not as good as JK2 (which wasn't wonderful to start with).

The MP seems a lot better but haven't tried it properly yet.

Bit unfortunate it was released as the same time as KOTOR which is a far superior game.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Picked this up today, looking forward to gettting stuck into it.

Also got Q3 Arena for €4.99 in Smyths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭wombat

Got it, played it, loved it. Much the same as outcast but I loved that game and played it through about five or six times, not to mention a couple of hundred duels against my flatmate at the time.
    I can't really offer an unbiased opinion since I'm a pathetic fanboy of the series though.

Unfortunately it is the crashiest thing that has ever crashed on my system, I can barely get it to run, never mind stay running for any length of time, which has more to do with my system than the game I know - however, with directX installed from the game CD itself and the most up to date drivers installed I would have thought it would be okay, apparantly not (driver problems with the latest versions for the GeForce 4 MX 460 apparantly)

Advertisement