Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT HELP NEEDED

Options
  • 02-06-1999 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Okay, this message doesn't really belong here....it is about CAR INSURANCE
    I am aged 20, and am looking to get insured in a Peugot 405 Estate 1.9L 1989 car.

I have phoned about 20 companies looking for a quote.
    Most of them won't quote me....
    "sorry over 25 only" or
    "sorry over 21 only" or
    "sorry car is 10 years old"

If I DO get a quote it is about 3000 quid.

I mean what the fu(k is the story???????

Any of ye insured??? How much and where???
    I would like to have the car to drive to scotland......which means I could fit about 5 PC's in.

If ANY of ye can help, or know some cheap skate insurance broker PLEASE HELP ME!!

Any of ye had this sort of trouble??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

FBD Insurances are pretty good - ring the Waterford branch and ask for Helena smile.gif

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahh just face it jay,

1)yer just too young

2)its a 1.9l(i presume its petrol)

3)yer ****ed!

my friend got a quote from a company of 2700 for fully comp. hes 28, and it was for a cinqacento(i think its about a 700cc car)
    insurance is stupid in this country. if you can get a bird(yer ma?) to be owner and then get yourself as a named driver like i did for my first car, it will cost less. i got a 6 yr ol micra for 470quid as a named driver on 'my mothers' car.

thats yer best bet. unless you have just won the lotto. in which case **** of and stop whining you miserable git smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

easiest is to get ureself named under ure parent's insurance. Im payin 1200 on my own (1.1i Rover Mini) sad.gif ....im 25 but got caught drunk drivin at 19 so im payin way over the odds untill next year as i loose the endorsement and that. My twin is named under my ma's for his and hes payin 800 (1.3 Peugeot 106).when i was 18 and that i was payin around 500 odd for each 3 month period cos i couldn't afford a 1800 odd once off for the year under my da's insurance(1.4 Volkswagon Polo). thats a handy way to go if ure low on cash. Seriously the only way to go is to get ureself named under ure parent's or get ure parents to get open driven insurance. shop around like **** for all these options there are amazing discrepencies between costs. on the other side of things i have a vespa and the only company in Ireland who will touch Motorbikes are Norwich Unionwhich means that last year due to my drunk driving charge and being under 25 i was paying 1100!!!!! for a 1,2 ****in 5!!!! I believe it is possible to get insured from other eec coutries but i dunno if they would touch Irish roads and that. UK has nice cheap insurance for all really. move up north smile.gif ....better make that quick it won't be UK for long! smile.gif WAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Jay,
    I've the same problem, 3000 for insurance on a peugeot 106, 1.1.
    Despite general opinion, when u're under 21/25 insruance companies don't give a **** if u drive a ****ty 1.0 diesel or a 1.7 petrol engine, they just slap a 2-3 grand insruance premium on you.
    Living in Ireland does have it's shortcomings

Mickah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JP8000

Yeah u cant get insurance on a 1.9l engine when your only 20 and if u do the price will be sky high coz its 1346 a year for a cinceqeto(or however u spell it) and im only 17 and its a 700cc ffs! and the least will be about 2 and half grand a year on insurance

• Advertisement

1.9Ltr Coupe, 25yrs old, Fully Comp, First time policy in own name and speeding conviction. £1300.

Go FBD Insurance!!

Slosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 adidas

this country....CUC-KOO, CUC-KOO

I've seen lads up north get insured on 106 gtis (1.6 litre) at the ripe old age of 19.

And for around a grand too.

Regards,
    Robbo

"Got a knife in my back,
    Got a hole in my arm,
    When I'm drivin' the tractor on the drug farm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

Well FBD are out as none of my family are with them at the moment, I tried it yesterday....
    bastids

Option 2:
    My Dad is living in Belfast, I could sell the car....(Diesel 1.9L 1989 BTW )
    for about 1500-2000 quid. Go up north get a second hand car for cheap, and get my own policy, from a UK insurance company, leaving my Dad's address as mine.

PROBLEM: Someone buy the friggin car from me!!..... I mean like TOMORROW!!! so i have time to organise a car before scotland.

Anyone want it???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Did ya try that new one that an Post are doing - they did a great deal for Mammy and me - £800 for the 2 of us when PMPA were quoting £900 for me to go on as a named driver.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah kharn,
    but that wasnt for a car wink.gif

nudge nudge

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think the easiest way might be to go through a broker. You could spend weeks looking for a good quote otherwise.

When I was getting insured on my car I was quoted daft prices, despite having had a full license for 10 years. The broker got me a great deal and saved me a few hundred quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

you could also...not actually get insured...and just carry a gun and if your stopped by the law...shoot them and drive off at haste.......

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

yea, my cousins an all live up the north and they all drive cars and get insurance for mittins and laugh at us JO's who cant afford it. its TERIMIBLE.

Wahts the conviction for driving with no insurance anyway ?

FBD won't quote for full insurance in Dublin unless you're over 27 and have a full lisence.

Mickah

See if FBD in Waterford will talk to u....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

FBD r0x0r5, l33t3 1n5ur4nc3 8r0k3r5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well I've got a cheeky solution for ye if you want to try it. I work for South Dublin County Council and am a member of IMPACT the public service trade union.
    IMPACT has a scheme with an Insurance company called Woodchester and apparently they do good deals for all IMPACT members. They don't check up on you because I know non-members have spoofed that they work for a County Council and are a member of IMPACT and gotten a deal.
    SO if you're brazen enough give them a ring, say you are a member of IMPACT and want a quote. Obviously you'll have to bull****e that you work for a County Council (pick one).
    I don't drive but I have heard people complain that they got great deals with them when they were young and once over 25 it wasn't competitive anymore.

M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Wibbley Wobbley Man Wrote:
    my friend got a quote from a company of 2700 for fully comp. hes 28, and it was for a cinqacento(i think its about a 700cc car)

Cinquecento is Italian for 500 you big muppet so it's basically a 500 cc lawn mower with a stearing wheel.

Anyway as regards Jay, your best bet is to do something up north or else go tru a broker here.

Blaydo

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Haha, I'm 22 got 3rd party on a 316i for £980 offa hibernian, next best was £1400 highest was £4000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

hehe jeff, just get a job smile.gif

anyhoo, one of ye cunntz gimme a ring tonite so we know what time ure arriving n stuff.

Z.

• Advertisement

Jay,
    get rid of that car.
    get something between 93-98, 1 litre engine.
    You'll get quoted about £2100 fire and theft from PMPA. That's the best i could get for myself fully insured on the car.
    Buy i made a claim in me first year so u might get better. The PMPA threshold for an end to ridiculus insurance is 22 years old.

"Reason why it's especially bad for 17-21 year olds is cos of the enormous claims and fatalities on the roads within our agegroup"

Ask me bollix! Get ****in competitive u ****in lousy Irish company

Mickah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Yeah, you might do that, but what if you crash your car. Breech of "uptmost good faith", and you get no money for any kind of damages. Besides thats insurance fraud and you can be put in jail for up to 3 years.

Not recommended really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

my friends brother became a member of the engineers guild(or somthing like that) because he worked in intel. He did his insurance through them and hes paying £500 a year for his 2 litre primera, and hes 22.

you could also try Quinn direct in Cavan...really cheap.

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 04-06-99).]

Advertisement