Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you put a cat on a diet?

• 19-09-2003 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

I know this is gonna sound weird, but anyway:
    My cat is the FATTEST thing you are ever likely to see. I enjoy food myself(though i think I'm in ok shape) so i'm probably partly responsible. But I know the whole flippin strret must be feeding him.He's always been kinda fat really(he's seven years old now) but i only noticed when he couldn't get in the door the other day! I had to buy a new cat flap. If he sits on me, I have trouble lifting him up, it's that bad.
    So here's my question: Should I be worried? He's perfectly happy to become permenant furniture and has no health problems(and really, other ppl must be feeding him) so, can i explain he has to eat less without him squashing me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

God, no1's ever on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Hi!

I had to put my cat on a diet :-) She is on Hills Science Plan food - they have a "diet" food for cats prone to weight gain. However I have kept her on the normal stuff and just stick rigidly to the daily amount allowed....and reduce treats....

Its very difficult - how do you resist that meow for some tuna chicken.......

HTH

Ka:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

very easily (you throw the cat out side:D )

If i could lift the cat he would be outside. He should be rolling places now. And he HAS got that little *pweez?* purr and miaow.
    Can't...resist!
    You look at him now and he seems to gain weight just sitting there. One day, I'm gonna need a bigger house.
    Now guess what the cat is called?
    Garfield!

If that's just coincidence, I'll eat my hat(if he doesn't eat it first.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't let the cat read any more Garfield.

Leaving cats outside is cruel to Sparrows, which are in decline.

A cat can do in at least half a dozen small birds a day, when it isn't staring wistfully at our guinea pigs. (Cats arn't so smart, they haven't figured how to open the lid of the hutch.

The piggies understand all about wire and stand a cat's leg/paw length from wire and stare back. When the cat isn't there they amuse themselves by scattering the sparrows by charging up to the wire. If it is a Magpie, they stop a beak's length from the wire! Magpies arn't scared by a charging guinea pig, though, so they don't charge the magens.

Guinea pigs are no good at "traditional" animal inteligence tests like solving a maze to get cucumber. Their nose tries to send them on the direct "straight line" route.

(*NOTHING* can out stare a guinea pig!)

Still doesn't help me in that he gained Five pounds in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

try a different VET for advice if you have seen one already.

See a Vet.

Advertisement