Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid

• 20-09-2003 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Watching recent matches, I am really concerned about the thinness and sick looking Real Madrid squad, will they be able to retain the title? Will they be able to advance further in europe? Whos fault will it be when they dont? And will we see a new manager at Real this time next year?

Share your thoughts guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yeah they looked hopeless while crushing Valladolid 7-2 last weekend, then beating Marseille 4-1 with some superb attacking football.

No doubt they need some centre backs, but seeing as Perez has already said 'I would never waste Real Madrid's money on defenders' they'll have to make do with Raul Bravo, Pavon, and Helguera for a while, and remain in the 'we'll score more than you do' school of playing football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Yeah I agree big time! I dont think they will win anything this year. They lack cover at the back, Raul Bravo started the first champions league game and he couldnt get a game for leeds last season:confused: even quiroz knows they lack depth in defence and tried to buy ayala and milto but if he cant dribble with the ball and be a showman the chairman doesnt want to know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

You can't write them off though!!

They always look like they'll score more than they concede, but we'll see how bad that theory is when they come up against a top attacking team like Juve or Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

As someone who is a great fan of Real Madrid and a life-long supporter of them, I am concerned that their possible downfall is coming... If they dont re-invest in new players for squad depth, whats going to happen in 2 years when Zidane and Figo decide "Ok we are 33, we have lots of money, lets just do nike commercials and take a decent retirement age like Cantona" - They have always had issues at the back, but I believe its not the back that is the problem these days - what happens if Zidane is injured? Fair enough Solari is in, but what if someone else gets injured? who? Flavio is gone, Mekelke is gone, McManaman, Savio, Rodrigo etc. and strikers? Ronaldo, Portillo and Raul? come on? one gets injured and then there is real problems. As far as I know Tote is gone on loan, but I am not sure - so what can they do? And at the back? well who cares about that aspect, to be honest if 1 of their backs gets injured they can bring in any 17 from their ranks and they will do as good a job. I know their recent results are good, but the average age of the decent players is on the rise, and some players will consider retirement soon, Real better start thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

Real are brilliant to watch, I'd dont know how anyone can be a supporter though but they arent really a team you would support, its more watching, i've never seen Real Madrid scrapping for a match.

Yeah i think Real are going to have problems. It should be pointed out that they always start off well but as things go on they seem to lack convection as tournments go on. "we play the best football in the tourament" but they dont have that fighting spirit to come back from a couple goals that say Ireland or Man Utd might have.

Things are alway spectacular in the beginning however it remains to be seen how they will fair as the champions league goes on.

at the start of this year, Raúl and Figo were meant to be packing their bags. so anything can happen at the club. They are going to have to shake things up after this season!

Pity there wasnt more La Liga on the Telly, its far better than Seria A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the big names certainly aren't getting younger. madrid are in a real mess financially. if the team falls apart, ie big names leave madrid will be in serious trouble.

i dont see the sense in spending money you dont have. failure to win the champs league for 2 years would be catastophic for madrid. the biggest clubs in the world must win things. its vital for popularity and media coverage. its no good buying beckham and millions of japanese if the club cant win trophys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

as far as madrid being in debt, I wouldnt be worried about them going into administration. A few years ago they were in the exact same position financially but the council paid them a kings ransom for their old training ground and built them a brand new state of the art one down the road. There is no question that they are a great team to watch, but if even one of the 'superstars' gets injured they are in trouble because they have no depth in any position (remember Raul missing for the semi final last year)

Correct me if im wrong.

I got the impression that Real Madrid seems to wait until the likes of Ronaldo to show that they are world class and then sign them. Apart from Guti, I cant think of anyone who Real bought that wasnt already world class.

Isnt it all part of the culture at the club, Real Madrid , we are the best club in the world, hence we only buy the best players. Whens the last time you have seen a 18-19 come on for his first match playing for Real??Maybe they are waiting for the next best player.

There is that bravado that it doesnt matter how many goals you score we will score more so there is no point in worrying about the defence, apart from having a good goal keeper.

Becham isnt up to that standard and its obvious that its to promote Real Madrid in the English speaking countries and Asia, who traditionally follow Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Real are big spenders, they dont want to buy the mid-class player... they are hot stuff, they need the best. They wont go into administration, Addidas, Madrid and well, TV wont let it happen. If they get any honors this season I really will be impressed, but as for Raul leaving? I couldn't see anyone affording him atm, cept for Milan or Man U. As for Beckham, he is playing good, but will it last? will they depend on him for every assist? Zidane is good, but he isnt using all his posession and his skills to proper use (i.e setting up a goal or scoring one). I will wait for the end of the season to see what kind of state they are in, I would say every player at the club will be completely tired by easter, I dont think Real can do it in any competition.

maybe they have a chance at the la liga but i think thats about it. I cant see them winning the Champions league. I would like to see them in the final becuase of the way they play football.

I cant see Beckham making it in Real, maybe he will but it will be totally against what i thought of the player.

Zidane has loads of tricks but isnt delivering as much.

I think the next few matches in the C.L will see what they are really like. early days yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement