Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect to LAN

• 20-09-2003 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    I live in a student village, and cannot connect to the LAN. Last year it worked fine, and I have not made any changes to the PC. I am running XP home edition. When the desktop shows it takes about 30 seconds for the network taskbar icon to appear. Packets are sent from my PC, but none are recieved back. Last year the network icon would appear in about 5 seconds. DHCP is used on the LAN. When I try to repair the connection, the repair message box appears for about 2 minutes, then the following message appears "Renewing the IP address failed. Please contact your Network Administrator". When I called to the office the lady said "the internet is working fine". They don't have any network admin. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Something may have changed in your computer on more likely, on the LAN over the summer.

Ask someone else if you can have a look at their machine (obviously someone who is connected to the LAN), and verify that your settings are right.

Failing that, it may be a problem with your NIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Sounds like a nic problem as Seamus says ... go to someone elses network point (that has been tested with someone elses computer and works fine for them) and use their network cable as well ... if you still have the same problem, try changing the nic (or adding a nic if the one you have is built in) ... you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Thanks. Its a laptop so a new NIC will cost a fortune if thats the problem. Have tried a new cable and that didnt do the trick. I'll try re-install the drivers and failing that, I will ask them to do a line fault test, as they had issues with interference last year. Didnt use the laptop all summer except for a few games of Age of Empires and didnt use the NIC, so I doubt there's something wrong with it.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I got a decent nic for a laptop for 35 euro incl deliv from jungle, no dongle either!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Start - Run - CMD

TO CHECK tcpip is installed
    ping 127.0.0.1
    ping localhost

ipconfig
    Media Disconnected - is a cable problem
    ping [the ip address listed above]

Also ask for the DHCP address
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

And you have not disabled the NIC in either device manager etc...
    USB NIC are handy for notebooks - no dangly bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Try setting a static IP..

To be honest, it is likely that the point you are connecting to just isnt live.

Advertisement