Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Modem Problem

• 20-09-2003 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have a CNET External Serial Modem and I cant get it to work, Im pretty sure the drivers are the right ones but the modem just wont work. I get a "Error 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device)" when i try to dial ANY number.

I still have my winmodem installed and that works fine on the same cable. Whats wrong,it is brand new, are they easily damaged?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

If after trying different drivers and making sure everything's connected properly, if it's still giving the same error, bring it back and get a different one as it's faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Could there be something wrong with my settings rather than the modem being faulty, id like to make sure that it is the modem is at fault before i send it back. I got my hands on a diamond supraexpress 56e Pro there a while back and that didnt work for me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Oh, that's pretty strange.

Could be your serial port then.

If you have another serial port device you could try and see if that doesn't work aswell.

I have tried it now on two other pc's, nothing out of it so i think now that it is the modem cos one of the pcs had the os just installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Have you tried talking to it with something like hyperterminal?

What OS are you using? Did you uninstall the other modem or just add this one too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I have been told to take out my Pci modem if im gonna use a serial.It supposedly causes problems dont know what sort though.
    I have a problem with my creative externl serial, it occasionally uninstalls dont have a clue why or how.

I tried it on a fresh install of windows xp home with no other modem install and it gave the same problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by Dempsey
    I tried it on a fresh install of windows xp home with no other modem install and it gave the same problems

That don't mean an awful lot. This is a modem. Modems were put on this planet to make us question our sanity and the error messages windows throws up are usually meaningless.

I assume you've checked device manager and it looks happy enough? No exclamation points/red crosses near it?

Did you load drivers from a cd or did you let winXP do all the work. You might try and download the most current drivers on their website.

If it is installed correctly you should be able to make some attempt at communication with hyperterminal. Open whichever COM port it claims to be on, change the speed to 115600 (I think, next one up from 56k anyway) and type AT&F, should give you something back. Try ATDT1891150150 or something similar to dial whilst looking for a dialtone (change the number to your current ISP). If you can't see what you type ATE1 should get it to echo what's typed. Can't remember any other commands off the top of my head but you should be able to google for useful stuff easy enough

Or just fire it back to the manufacturer and get a new one.

Originally posted by henbane
    I assume you've checked device manager and it looks happy enough? No exclamation points/red crosses near it?

Did you load drivers from a cd or did you let winXP do all the work. You might try and download the most current drivers on their website.

It looks great in device manager. Have to check for updated drivers. I let windows do the work the first time then i fiddled with a few drivers and got nothing.
    Have to try what you said henbane on friday and get back to you..

Advertisement