Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password protected folders in windows xp

Options
  • 20-09-2003 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi, yesterday my windows xp installation messed up and wouldn't start. So I did what I usually do , reinstall windows. Only this time I didn't wipe the hard drive like I usually do, I simply installed windows again over the old version. Now when I go to C:\Documents and Settings I see that the folder with the files from my old profile is still there, which is great , apart from one problem. I had my profile password protected so when I try to open the folder it says "access is denied". Is there any way for me to open this folder as there are a lot of files there that I want. I still know the password for that profile, there just isn't anywhere (that I know of) to put it in now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Ya I had the same issue. You have to boot up in safe mode and grant yourself admin rights for the folder, when accessed just copy the files and paste to a new location.

Here is how I did it
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

Hope it helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An administrator should be able to take ownership of the files.

If you were using encrypted NTFS then you'll probably never get the files again, since my understanding is that the PW is in part based on the random SID generated when NT/2K/XP is installed. I regard that feature in the same way I treat doublespace/drivespace, nice but I'll wait until they get it debugged first...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Yep, that worked great, thanks a lot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

If you encrypt files using NTFS, you need to save the unencryption key otherwise you're f00ked. Encryption works excellent for extremely sensitives files (pron) but make sure you keep the key in a safe place (ie not on the same computer) and you'll be fine.

Advertisement