Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win Xp specifications...

Options
  • 20-09-2003 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've got an old dell latitude cp laptop, with win98 installed, but its becoming very slow and unstable, so I'm going to format the drives and install win xp pro... will the laptop handel this os? Its a p2 233mhz, 94mb ram.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

well t b h, if it cant handle win98 it deffo wont handle XP...

Also i think u need a min od 256mb SDRAM.. i could be wrong

cartman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you need a minimum of 64mb iirc, ittl run like crap with less than 128 tho.
    i think a 500mhz processor is the minimum.
    just format the hd & reinstall '98 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

it's not that it can't deal with win98, it's just getting clogged with stuff taking up cpu cycles and the whole thing is very sluggish. It worked perfectly a few years ago, but you could be right about the ram...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

I think you have the bare minimum to run windows XP. If you think it's sluggish now just wait til that beast tries to do anything. Also it be very unlikely dell have any drivers for anything that XP doesn't pick up (even though it should pick everything up fine given the age of the hardware)

Format and reinstall 98 and it should be fine. If you is happy enough with the dell default install you can restore the factory image which is poopie (as I'm sure you remember) but less hassle than finding drivers for a old laptop.

Remember to back up your data.

Download cdenab.exe and run the program. It will ask for a formatted floppy disk. Pop one in and it will create what is basically a win95 boot floppy with a few extra utilities.

Remove all external hardware and PCMCIA cards (if you don't hardware detection may fsck up 98s first boot)

Go in to the bios (F2 if I recall correctly) and set it to defaults - should be the option somewhere on screen. Check the time and date settings as these can be reset when you do this - if they are change them back.

Save and exit and let it start up with the floppy in the drive. Choose no cdrom support or NEC (doesn't really matter).

When you get to the A:\ prompt type zztop

It will ask to check the image. Do check it before you try and use it. If it fails at this stage you is gonna have to format/reinstall.

Been a long time so I don't remember exactly each stage but should ask you if you're sure you want to restore from the image and then takes about 20 minutes to do it and tells you to restart. I think it gives the option to restart but can't actually do it so it may be time to just use the power button. Try the menu first though.

It'll boot up like it's fresh out of the box if all goes to plan. If not format/reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Flashman
    it's not that it can't deal with win98, it's just getting clogged with stuff taking up cpu cycles and the whole thing is very sluggish. It worked perfectly a few years ago, but you could be right about the ram...
    sounds like windows 98 alright:)
    its a vicious circle of working fine for a month or so, getting sluggish & unstable & then formatting & reinstalling as far as i'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CASE 1/
    Many moons ago I added a cga driver (from windows 3.0) to windows 3.11 - then copied it... (Win /d:t to bypass the 386 stuff)

Result :
    Windows 3.11 on an 8MHz /XT 8086 / 640K / CGA laptop.
    It was not fast.

CASE 2/
    Windows 95 on a 4MB 386 - 16 minutes to Boot !

Just because you can install something, doesn't mean it will run fast. Programs have two spec's - minimum and recomemded - I would always treat the recommended as the bare minimum.

[and of course you must look at the licencing - can't stick OEM XP on a 233 ! ]

As for 98 being slow - have a look at 98lite to use the win95 desktop instead it's the mutt's nutt's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think it would be a dog with less than 128mb of ram. Reinstall 98 is a better option. If you had 256 mb of ram then I'd say give XP a try. But the slowest laptop I installed XP on was a PII 400 with 192mb of ram. It was fine on that with all the eyecandy turned off. When I say fine I mean usable for general office stuff and browsing the web etc. But 233 and 64 would be a dog I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

Cheers for the advice everyone, looks like I'll be dusting off the win 98 cd once again... or getting a new laptop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

INstalling an OS with all the default crap is a different ball game than installing an optimised one. Theres no way a 386 should take that long to boot. Even with XP on a fast computer you should strip out all the performance sapping stuff.

http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e8gus/nano98/
    http://www.litepc.com/

Advertisement