Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking XP2800+ Barton

• 20-09-2003 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I've got an Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard with 2x 256mb PC3200 twinmos DDR dimms and an XP2800+ Barton CPU, cooled by this hsf. At the moment I have the CPU running at its stock speed of 2.083GHz with DDR dual channel in operation.

I am just wondering how far do you lot think I should be able to overclock this setup safely? I have one case fan for a bit of airflow. IDE cables are a bit of a mess though. I am not sure of running temperatures yet - only built this system the other day.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Overclocking has alot to do with luck of the draw, wheather you get a good chip etc....

What stepping is your chip? Aquca, aqxea, aqxda...... etc.

I think 2300mhz would require about 1.75volts ish to keep it stable with your cooling. Would prob recomend another case fan for more air flow. 1.75v is safe enough to run on a day to day basis IMO.

Very good board for overclocking by the way, with that ram aswell you should set your FSB to 200mhz and then increase the speed with the multiplier. You will almost definetly get to Xp3200+ , should get to 2.3ghz, and real lucky 2.4ghz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I haven't a clue what stepping it is. How do I find out? :)

Must download some kind of monitoring software to keep an eye on temperatures. It'd be a bit of a pain to have to keep rebooting into the BIOS to check on them.

Your board comes with hardware doctor which will monitor your temp's & voltages. The NF7 undervolts by roughly .5v , which means you have to set the voltage to 1.825v in the bios to get 1.775v. You should be able to see exactly what the undervolt is by using hardware doctor. (its not a bad thing btw) .

The stepping etc is written on the black square just down from the cpu core, if possible you should post the numbers on it .... Will be able to give you a better indication of how it performs in general. If you are going to post you mite aswell post all the numbers on the core.

Am overclocking an Xp3000+ & 2500+ myself at the min .... really like the bartons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Too late now, there's a heatsink stuck to it ;)

Can wcpuid determine the stepping?

AFAIK you have to read it off the chip. Wcpuid definetly wont tell you.

Suppose the only way to get an indication is to try it out..... Mabye try 200x11 (xp3200+) and see what voltage it takes to get it stable. It should be 1.62-1.67v ish , add .1v and thats roughly what it will take to get to 2.3ghz (not a surefire way but its a good indicator) . Btw when i said the Abit NF7 undervolts by .5v i ment .05v .

Dont be afraid to go up to 1.8v in the bios, thats around 1.75v getting to the chip. Just keep an eye on the temps and keep them under 60 degrees under full load like prime95(thats healthy on the NF7).
    The only real good way of seeing if your overclock is stable is using prime95 , torture test for 4hrs + .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

I hear the newer bartons aint overclocking as well (they now have locked multipliers on kt400 boards etc.) but we probably dont have those in europe yet.

I dunno if the 2800 is a great overclocker its already running quite fast. I got an xp2500(1.8ghz) back a few months ago and am running it at 11x166=xp3000(2.16ghz) speeds with 1.825v on a epox kt400 board.

I think the best thing to do with it is run it at the highest FSB with some vcore persuasion; something like 11x200 would be ideal (xp3200[2.2ghz]).

My old Xp2500+ would max out around 2ghz on stock voltage, the newer one i got will do 2.25ghz on stock voltage :) .

Im running it at 2480mhz with water cooling and 2v Vcore at the min :rolleyes: !!

From most of the reports ive heard the newer Aqxea & Aqzea steppings are alot more lightly to do Xp3200+ (200x11) than the older ones at stock voltage. If you get lucky mabye 2.35ghz with a bit of juice.

In general the Xp2800+'s and Xp3000+'s (have one of those) will do 2.2ghz on stock Vcore without much probs. 2.3ghz almost definetly needs more volts, 2.4ghz was atainable with water cooling and 1.81v , 2.48ghz with 1.87v .......

My Xp3000+ did much better overclocking wise than my Xp2500+ but suprisingly ran alot hotter....

Advertisement