Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Wireless Access Points inside the home

• 20-09-2003 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I was bored today and so started looking in ebay for this and that and noticed that there is a new 802.11a wireless access point the same as my own for $9.99 plus about $25 for p&p I rerckon, with two days to go (been there 4 days already I reckon) ... a very low price says I ... pity I already have one ... but then I thought, dont people use these for bridging large gaps between seperate buildings networks (albeit with a large external aerial) ..

So .. my question is, can I connect a new wireless access point to a PC upstairs and get it to act like a wireless adapter? i.e. acting like a pccard in a laptop, when in fact its connected by a network cable to a desktop.....the original one must still connect to a pccard in a laptop

The manufacturers website says nothing, the manual says nothing, google didnt throw up anything of use ... all I know is that this would be significantly cheaper than a new pci adapter.... even including a nic for the desktop.....

I must have a good long hard look at the setup on my existing one to see if it throws any light on the issue ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

some AP's can do that. See if there's a client mode in the config menu. If there isn't then you may be able to use bridging if the 2 ap's are the same make/model (otherwise it's too hit and miss to tell you if it'll work)

Some AP's dont have client mode, and can't do bridging, but you could probably sell it on if that turns out to be the case.

Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Most APs are just Wireless Cards with a case on them. You can always take it apart.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi

I have been told that bridging with 802.11a is not allowed in Europe.

Has anyone else head this?

Paddyo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It is allowed/legal but you have to register your links/nodes with the comreg (in Ireland anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was onto Netgear Tech Support and they say that this particular WAP (He120, 802.11a) does NOT support bridging or otherise talking to each other ...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement