Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Services ?

Options
  • 20-09-2003 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Could anyone give me some ideas / examples of why you would use web servies ? It sounds all so spiffy and what not would be handy to implement it into my project :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

theres this great thing called the internet, you can search for this sort of stuff on it, its great, you should try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

sounds interesting !

But maybe mr. Nog you can stop been a smart a$$ and help by explaining what this 'internet' is and where you can buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

A friend of mine told me about this interweb thingy, but I reckon he's been watching too much Star Trek.

He even has this mobile phone which he claims is his 'personal communicator'. Allows him to talk to other people who are far away, he says :rolleyes:. Jeez he'd better cop himself on before it gets to point where he's wearing tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah wonderfully helpful. I was looking for peoples personal expierence with it.

If you dont have anything constructive to add dont post, its that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    But maybe mr. Nog you can stop been a smart a$$ and help by explaining what this 'internet' is and where you can buy one.
    I hear you can get it on computers nowadays.
    Originally posted by damnyanks
    I was looking for peoples personal expierence with it.
    Were you? Then why didn't you say that rather than post a "will somebody do my homework" question?

Telling fibs makes baby Jesus cry... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Hi damnyanks

I supposs Boards.ie is one form of web service.
    (Any body here disaggreea??)

How do you perwsonally feel about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I think he's talking about XML web services. Have a look at this damn yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Have a look at the Apache SOAP project. I should imagine a little copy and paste from there will get you full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Thanks Phil.

dod I did state I was going to use a web service in some form with my project. That would involve code...

And fyi today was my first day back in college so I wouldnt of gotten any "homework". But obviously nog, corinthian and yourself are far to smart and wise to help someone out with a question and would rather post total crap and make total assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Okay, another example:

Company A provides a service to prospective customers. They want to automate this service as part of an overall workflow solution so they put it up onto a website. They're a small company so the website is hosted on a virtual server. They need to get the data gathered on the website as part of their business processes. Once a certain step in the workflow is complete (say customer verification that the data is accurate and correct) the website data is replicated to the companies master database and then deleted from the website database.

Webservices could be used for getting the data, replicating and then deleting it.

Oh, and your welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by damnyanks
    But obviously nog, corinthian and yourself are far to smart and wise to help someone out with a question and would rather post total crap and make total assumptions.

well spotted, i would like to say in my defense however that i've been led astray by than rev hellfire bloke, its all his fault you know.

perhaps tho if you told us what your project was, we'd have been able to help, if the mood had taken us. is your project going to be 'A webservice' or what like? You should sort of decide what you're doing before deciding on the kewl stuff you'll use to implement it.

Advertisement