Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sting's New Album - Sacred Love

Options
  • 20-09-2003 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭

Anybody heard any of this? I know it's not out until Monday but I saw Stings on Jonathan Ross last night and he played a live version of his new single 'send your love'. In comparisson to the actual single (which is a good tune I s'pose) it was absolutely amazing! Vinnie Colaiuta is back on drums and there was some really cool percussion and eastern type melodies and rythyms going on. A really great performance, did anybody catch it?

So I went onto Sting's Website and checked out some previews of the album - don't know what to make of it - sounds even more electronic and synthetic then Brand New Day (which is an album I really liked by the way) - the influence of Kipper's producing goes on by the sounds of it, unfortunately.
    From the previews there's some great music and vocal melodies on there but it all sounds like a deliberate attempt to make the music even more contemporary and hip rather than free flowing, innovative and (in keeping with that) there seems to be a reluctance to use accoustic instruments (namely drums) which is what I loved about Sting's previous albums - the live feel (even though he could be accused of over producing)...

I s'pose I'll have to reserve judgement until Monday, but I think Sting's recent collaborations with the likes of Craig David may have done more harm than I thought:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

No Sting Fans here at all:eek: ? Anyway, today's the day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot that it was coming out. I really like Sting's stuff like Desert Rose and Brand New Day but I can't say I've been a big fan of his newer work and I agree with you, that Craig David collaboration just didn't tickle my fancy at all. I missed him singing his new song on Jonathan Ross but I heard a preview of it on the official site a month or two ago and I really liked the sound of it. I'll get it either on Wednesday or Friday and we can compare notes on what we think of it.

ah, so there is *one:rolleyes: * Sting fan here after all..

Cool, I didn't actually get to pick it up today meself but shall definately have it in the next couple of days (me missus is back in work tomorrow and she works in town).

On a sidenote, I listened to the single again today in work through our T1 connection and it sounded a lot clearer/better and less synthetic

Yeah, the sample I heard was off a certain file sharing program, it was obviously some sort of demo version though as the sound quality was awful and it kept looping so I'm reserving judgement on that track especially until I get the album but I think the little bit I did hear sounded great even in spite of the medium I was listening to it on. Whats your favourite Sting song by the way? Mine is Desert Rose and I'm hoping the new album has stuff along those lines.

Favourite Sting song, that's tough:confused:

One from each studio album (in order) anyhow: We work The Black Seam, English Man In New York, Mad About You, Love Is Stronger Than Justice, I Hung My Head, and lastly A Thousand Years.

Probably English Man In New York - I just love the swingin' jazz part (but hate the stoopid drum machine thingy directly after it, still think it's pointless).

Favourite album would be Ten Summoner's Tales

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Hahahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

If you will pardon my french gentleman, Sting is a geebag.

No offence to any of you though, Cloth-eared as you may be ;)

Either of you care to tell us exactly what exactly it is that you don't like about Sting and his music?

Sting is a geebag

Well thanks for sharing that with us, do drop by again sometime:rolleyes:

Sure,

What I don't like about Sting is his pomposity, his lack of humour and his vanity, all of which traits are manifested by his penchant for yoga and showing off the resultant old man chest, meddling in South American politics, having chamber orchestras around to his 16th century mansion so he can indulge his classical guitar fantasies and so on and on.

What I don't like about his music is that it is equally pompous and humourless. It is also absolutely irrelevant. The Police were a great band, don't get me wrong, but even at that stage in the late 70s people twigged that they were a bit of a sham. They were proved right by the fact that Sting grabbed the first opportunity to go solo and indulge his muso-jazz predilections.

Sting is now treading the dangerous old man territory of trying to remain "relevant" by doing tinkly-bonk remixes of old numbers (viz new sdhape of my heart working over), and is going down the Madonna "Ray of Light" path by singing over "young people's music".

He needs to give it a rest; he has never been relevant. His music has always been full of artifice and no genuine feeling. Some artists, like Lou Reed, remain relevant as they have never tried to impress. Sting, on the other hand craves attention, which he is getting from an ever dwindling number of people.

God love him, what else does he have? Yoga, his chateau and tantric sex with that howler he's married to.

• Advertisement

I actually agree with a lot of what you say about Sting's vanity and personna on the whole - but I couldn't care less about his personality, it's his music that I love and am constantly inspired by. At the end of the day this is a discussion about his music.

Sure he may not be "relevant" to modern times and music but that's what I loved about his earlier ablums (up to and including Mercury Falling) - there was no real intention to make a popular album as such. I always found (and still do) the material on those albums to be fantastically written, arranged and played with a lot of passion by all who were involved. Some of the greatest musicians have played with Sting over the years (Kenny Kirkland, Branford Marsallis, Vinnie Colaiuta to name but a few) and together they have inspired and touched a lot of people, be it your average music fans or musicians alike, and they continue to do so.

I know Sting is accussed of being pompous and over pretentious, but then a lot of Jazz musicians/artists could be accused of the same, it's the type of music they play. Now I know Sting goes a bit further than music with his lifestyle choices, but as I said I couldn't care less.

To be honest, when I started this thread I hesitated because I figured I would only get the type of responses you have given. Now I respect your opinion and I have no qualms with having a conversation about the good/bad side of Sting, but frankly comments like:"Sting is a geebag" & "Cloth-eared as you may be" aren't really the kind of discussion I would have any part in as, especially the latter comment, I find them to be ridiculous and condesending - which in it's own way is slighty pompous also.

In fact I can never understand people who seem to come on these boards and seem to have the sole intention of starting an flame war/arguement:rolleyes:

Fair point shred.

Now where did I leave that copy of De Doo Doo Doo De Da Da Da?

:)

:)

Haha, good point also and a tune which Sting has himself called a "silly pop song".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Big sting fan here too. Saw him live in Marley park last year. Twas amazing. He did an excellent "solo" (vocals and electric guitar) version of message in a bottle.

Not that impressed with his never stuff. I much prefer his earlier solo work (10 summeron tales/soul cages ect). One of the best musicians ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I saw him in 2000 in Germany and he did that same solo version of "Message"....goosebumps man!

Advertisement