Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do RTE ignore Spurs?

• 20-09-2003 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Try not to laugh folks...

I'm a long suffering Spurs fan who can't quite understand why RTE won't show anything other than the goals from their matches on the Premiership. I accept that we aren't anywhere near the prestige clubs in the Prem, but I'd have thought something from last weeks Chelsea-Spurs match might have be shown...no joy, goals only.

I also thought that todays match with Southampton might feature. You know, grudge match with Hoddle's old club, the return of Robbie Keane, and the pressure on Hoddle to improve. Still nothing...goals it was, then "after the break we have Leeds and Birmingham"...WTF?

Anybody else notice this, or am I just trying to compensate for our abysmal start to the season? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

emmm... how about coz they are dire at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

And Leeds aren't? Jeez man, talk about stating the bleedin' obvious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,ve noticed that with RTE as well. Very little comedy on it.:D

Jebus, what part of
    Try not to laugh folks...
    was hard to understand?

Anybody with a real point to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Actually I think the sad Spurs fan has a point, if a dismal game between Leeds and Blues is worth 15 mins then for the reasons stated Southampton - Spurs is worth the same time and would almost certainly have been more entertaining.

On the other hand maybe thier was no continous coverage of that game availible.....?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

lads when has rte coverage ever suited any1!!! they cant really please every1!! the one thing that is for sure is that whatever game you really want to see - youll only see goals. Liverpool won 3 - 1 last weekend - only the goals were shown - christ i want to see pool win 3 - 1 cos god-dammit it doesnt happen that often!!

But if utd or arsenal are playin it will be on - even if its a 0-0 draw where nothing happens - not even a bookin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just be thankful you dont follow Southampton! (I know that doesnt make sense after todays game!!!!) Fourth in the Premiership, in Europe, and playing some great football, and the only time we ever manage a decent slot on that poxy show is when we play the big boys. But I've come to expect it. I have to go to Southampton or use the internet to get a jersey! Count yourself a little lucky, and watch the UTV Premiership. Its much better.

Point taken JoeSoap, and its not just Southampton who suffer. Blackburn, Man City, Everton hardly feature, and all have done reasonably well in the last year.

I'm honest enough to accept that Spurs won't feature that often, and that is Man U or the Goons are playing, then they'll be the games shown. However, as mike65 conceeded, there was a lot of background to the Spurs-Southampton game today, it would have been a much better choice than dirty Leeds and Brum...

I suppose I can console myself with the certainty that playing as we are, I'll see plenty of action towards the end of the season...you know how much TV loves relegation scraps... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

They must all be Gunner supporters therecklessone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Yes, I think Spurs should be shown more, not because they're a decent side going places (far from it) but because at least they have a few Irish lads on their books. By contrast Arsenal get top billing every second episode of the premiership and they don't even have one single Irish player in their regular squad.

I seem to remember at the outset the makers of 'The Premiership' show promised that theirs would be a more 'Irish-biased' version of the BBC/ITV version of premiership highlights, rather than just simply a carbon copy of the British highlights.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Eron
    They must all be Gunner supporters therecklessone....

Doubt it, Spurs are well off the Goon radar these days...:(

Gordon Strachan quoted on Football 365...

"I'm going home now to get myself a Coca-Cola and a packet of crisps and I'll sit in front of the television and look at the table on Teletext all night"

I'm smiling...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

heres how things work with RTE what they like to do is show the 3 biggist teams when they play which is why we see so much of man u arsenal and chealsea(if 1 or 2 of these teams isnt playing they'll usually slip in liverpool) as newcaslte are down in 18 th i wont see much them until they make there way up the table. which pisses me off. if u have sky and want better coverage of the premiership watch goals on sunday(some people may not like this as it shows goals from the nationwide league) if ur a totenham or a southampton fan u will see a lot more of ur team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are obviously gonna show games that get the biggest viewer numbers. United and Liverpool have the biggest following in this country followed by the likes of Arsenal.......

Its not just RTE that do it, just look at the TV related revenues that the likes of Liverpool and United receive, you will notice thats its far higher than Spurs or Southampton. I am not saying its fair, just the way it is. I think Liverpool had the largest revenues from TV last year.

Jesus (you won't mind me calling you that I'm sure...:D ), I fully accept that the bigger clubs will get the most coverage. T'is expected. However, neither Utd nor Arsenal played yesterday, and they showed Leeds-Birmingham...there would be at least as much demand for Spurs as Leeds...same with Everton for that matter, and you don't see too much of them, do you?

My original point stands...a lot more riding on the Spurs match on Saturday than on Leeds-Birmingham, or Liverpool-Leicester for that matter. Remember, Southampton, who play in Europe this week, are in the top 6 now, and are unbeaten...are they not deserving of a little coverage?

I'll save a lot of people time and effort by conceding that when Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool are all playing, the smaller clubs in the Prem don't stand a chance of being shown...unless they play one of the big three that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

is it too much to ask for RTE to review games and maybe show the best ones. i was pretty shocked at the leeds birmingham myself but u have to say birminham deserve this as the way there playing at the moment is good as do southampton. but its always going to be decided whos shown by some executive who probably doesnt know much about soccer and is on £50000 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ahh I agree, sure a week ago they showed the Arsenal match and the United match, both were boring. I really wish they would show highlights of all the matches, even show an extended show after midnight or something.

I think you do have a valid point, but spurs big time is over, they were great in the 70's and part of the 80's, but these days they are just another second rate team (sorry...) And the point you make about them showing crap teams like Leeds, well, crap teams like Leeds sadly have alot of supporters. They also show crap teams like Aston Villa, and I am suprised that I know more Aston Villa fans than probably Arsenal fans....

Its just the way it is, I think they should show more spurs, seeing as White Heart Lane is practicaly the Irish squads training ground (Carr, Keane etc. etc.)

Have you asked RTE why they dont show em?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I seem to remember at the outset the makers of 'The Premiership' show promised that theirs would be a more 'Irish-biased' version of the BBC/ITV

I didnt realise that the rtes premiership coverage was supposed to focus on irish involvement in the prem. Leeds have as many irish players as Spurs so are deserved of Coverage.

If this is true as Arsenal have no Irish players I think we should petition RTE to get their coverage banned. Poor George would have to pay if he wanted to see his team then instead of us having pay to hear his lobsided commentary.:D

Arsenal got rid of Graham Barret, that was their only irish player in years... Unless they find an irish centre back that can do something, they wont sign an irish boy (unless hes half french :-) )

I think its just ratings, not the development of irish players... alot of people like Arsenal from the 60's and 70's, and hell some from the 80's. I supported them since the early 90's, and they have had a couple of irish players along the line, good ones. So I dont think they should shut them out of the frame cus they have none now.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Eron
    I think you do have a valid point, but spurs big time is over, they were great in the 70's and part of the 80's, but these days they are just another second rate team (sorry...) And the point you make about them showing crap teams like Leeds, well, crap teams like Leeds sadly have alot of supporters. They also show crap teams like Aston Villa, and I am suprised that I know more Aston Villa fans than probably Arsenal fans....

I don't mean to claim Spurs are a big time side, far from it. And I don't want to pick on Leeds as a crap team (they are mind...), but it was an example of what RTE chose to show as their third match.

Funnily enough, I only know one Leeds fan, and the only Villa fan I've ever known was in school with me, and thats 8 years ago...

Contrast that with the 3 Spurs fans who work with me (so they aren't people I naturally hang around with). I also lived in Shannon in 1999, and I thought I'd be the only Spurs fan looking to see the Worthless Cup final in the pub. I was amazed to see the place packed with Spurs fans(Oakwood Arms in case anyone knows the area), so there are a few of us out there...

Advertisement